Why become a member? ×

Playing down the dusty end

V4lve

Hi.

Learnt a couple of pieces recently that were tabbed mostly around the first few frets (e.g. Pump it Up). Made me realise I don't really like playing down there as I am a bit of a chancer and get all confused if I run out of board because I am too close to the nut. Was wondering if there were any significant benefits of playing down there.

Ta

Use the whole neck as and when it is required - otherwise its like saying 'only use A to H when you write' or 'only words of one syllable' when you speak. Stay at the deep end if your instincts tell you its the musical thing to do but not because the other end is scary or complicated - that's just advocating ignorance.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='679145' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:12 PM']Can I have 50p to go to the pictures, Dad?[/quote]
If only, its normally "can I have £20 to go and get bladdered/stoned, Dad?"

On topic: I also thought the dusty end was at the body end of the neck :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='679022' date='Dec 9 2009, 01:10 PM']I do too, but only if there's someone in the audience I want to impress...[/quote]

Me too.

I never use no.6 though. Maybe I should have it removed along with 8-20? It'd make the neck shorter and easier to play too.

[quote name='Clarky' post='679147' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:15 PM']If only, its normally "can I have £20 to go and get bladdered/stoned, Dad?"[/quote]
Whaaat? Really?

Kids today, man.

Mark my words, we're facing a generation of tearaways who'll think nothing of playing all manner of nonsense all over the neck. It's an outrage!

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Clarky' post='679147' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:15 PM']If only, its normally "can I have £20 to go and get bladdered/stoned, Dad?"

On topic: I also thought the dusty end was at the body end of the neck :)[/quote]

it's the other dusty end for me..

• 2 weeks later...

i guess it's all down to personal preference. i remember the best part of a decade ago when i was first getting seriously into playing, watching jaco's "modern electric bass" - how he'd talk about playing up in the 'mid range' of the bass because that's where he got the best tone. at the same time, i was really into the pocket playing of some country and western guys etc, who all swore by frets 1-5.

just tailor it to who you're playing with - i find if i don't think about it, my ears tell my fingers where to go and i usually slip into the right region of the bass for the job. if you are comfortable playing all over the neck, it'll pay off on the rare occasion where you need to get really high up.

but if i'm reading, i definitely cling to the first few frets :)