Why become a member? ×

Have you ever been in a band with someone you don't really like?

EdwardHimself

OT I was in a band with a guitarist who was my best friend. His cousin was on drums and he was one of the biggest a**holes I've ever met - he was a drummer in an Oi band and boy he though he was something special. I just couldnt get on with the guy and it got to the stage where I was turn up late to gigs and rehearsal just to make sure that I wasnt alone with him. I tried leaving the band twice but each time my guitarist mate said that if i did the band would split so I was in this quandry of either putting up with this dick or leaving and losing a friend. In the end I split but whenever I meet my guitarist friend there's still a bit of anomosity there - even though it was 10 years ago

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='677205' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:08 PM']I'm just wondering because the more i think about the guitar player in our band, the more i don't really like him. Obviously, we have to work with poeple you don't like, so do you think this applies to being in a band as well? The problem is that we live in the middle of nowhere and we're having enough trouble finding anyone as it is, so we can't really afford to ditch him so i dunno i just have to work with what the hell i got i suppose.[/quote]
Don't like on a personal basis, don't like on a musical basis, or don't like on what I suppose you could call a professional basis?

I've never been in a band with someone I disliked personally, though in a couple of bands I never really got to know much of the other members anyway. I haven't had much problem in the way of musical dislikes, though I admit to loathing the UB40 songs the old covers band did, while the guitarist loved them. The biggest problem I've had is the professional aspect - most recently the vocalist of the former covers band, who used to drink far too much. It looked bad and it made him sound bad. However, because we did all like each other personally and the drummer, the guitarist and I all lacked the killer instinct, we never managed to get round to sacking him. He finally left, which eased the situation.

As a freelance I don't really have the luxury of liking or not liking someone. I just get my head down and play the stuff. However..........there is just one one guy who I will not accept gigs with. He's a bit of an arse but his real sin is that he is so unprofessional on the gig. He insists on demonstrating his not inconsiderable talent between numbers and his solos are so bizarre that they detract from rather than add to the tune being played.

No names of course. (he's a piano player)

Just a quick word about a thread like this. (As I've been there)

Sometimes, being a member of Basschat can come up in conversation from time to time with other band members. These posts are viewable by guests. They can usually work out if it's someone they know. I had a pop at a drummer I played with once and he saw the post. Tricky.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='678927' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:36 AM']I suppose it's not long until i'm some incontinent old man anyway.[/quote]

Speaking as a spectacularly incontinent old man, I can assure you that the middle bit is worth waiting for. Until you start getting buggered around by lecturers, start paying taxes, get married / divorced, work for an idiot, end up in bands with idiots, realise that everyone on the bus is an idiot, develop haemmorhoids the size of a sack of basketballs and retire.

So there's a window of about 36 hours when you can really enjoy yourself. Make sure you don't miss it, EH. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='679830' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:10 AM']Speaking as a spectacularly incontinent old man, I can assure you that the middle bit is worth waiting for. Until you start getting buggered around by lecturers, start paying taxes, get married / divorced, work for an idiot, end up in bands with idiots, realise that everyone on the bus is an idiot, develop haemmorhoids the size of a sack of basketballs and retire.

So there's a window of about 36 hours when you can really enjoy yourself. Make sure you don't miss it, EH. :)[/quote]

Nice. Seriously though, i feel as if i've missed out on a lot these past few years. It's all my fault though so i suppose i shouldn't be getting all depressed about it. I guess i'll just have to make it up at uni. (hopefully)

Although life is short and should be enjoyed full tilt 100% all the time, it's never too late to completely change things.
I did A-levels, went to Uni, dropped out, worked in electronics, went to music college, made a living as a pro muso, started my own company, folded same company, and now have a career in accounts and banking. All before 30.

So if you're going through a sh*t spot now, my sympathies, but a big life change can always be just around the corner if you go out and instigate it.

• 1 month later...

I've been there. The drummer hated the fact that the band wasn't my only project and I hated his tendency to take over the running of the band. God, was I relieved when some personal issue forced him to quit! The rest of us split up a few months later but at least we've stayed friends ever since.

Never again.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='677856' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:35 PM']If the Gods of Old Bloke Pub-Rock are listening - I'm perfectly happy to travel...[/quote]

His name is Reg - the God of Club Performers*, & blessed are they that partake of half-a-bitter-shandy-cos-I'm-driving and play "Spanish Flea" in His name.

[size=1]*Commonly manifests as a bloke somewhere indefinably north of 50 - maybe even 60+ - with a combover & bottle glasses, wearing a faded maroon velvet jacket, "off"-white ruff-fronted shirt & playing a Premier drumkit (when angered He is known to dep on the Mighty Farfisa).[/size]

[quote]...Have you ever been in a band with someone you don't really like?....[/quote]
All the time, but if there is someone in the band you really do like they cancel each other out.
And it's not black or white situation! If Mr Nasty is a great player then you stay. If he is crap or trying to screw you over the money then one of you has to go!

I was in a band where the drummer constantly told penis jokes. It was funny for about 5 minutes but after 6 months I just wanted to kill him. It wasn't going to last.

Nobody's perfect - especially musicians. Being a musician should be a recognised mental disorder. It is tricky because it's a constant inner battle between self-belief and your actual ability. I usually start by telling prospective fellow band players I'm completely sh*t so that anything I do to exceed their expectations is a bonus :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='678927' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:36 AM']Yeah perhaps, to be honest i was trying out my guitar amp through the bass speaker with my bass last night, see if we even need a guitar player. The thing i would say about what you said before is that i'm always being told to wait. The fact that i have to wait for everything, wait to be in a half decent band, wait to have sex, wait another year before i can do university etc... all of my friends are living their best years whilst i sit here doing crappy a levels and watching the most boring daytime tv shows, with woe and depression stabbing me like a knife up my arse. What the hell does it even matter? I suppose it's not long until i'm some incontinent old man anyway.[/quote]

I like you - you're even more f*cked up than me :) Unfortunately most of these things you are waiting for aren't all that they're cracked up to be. Never be afraid to have some fun. You'll have plenty of years as an incontinent old man to regret it if you don't.

I've had 18 months in a band with someone I've tried to like, and failed completely.

Take one self centred narcissistic guitar player who is tired of practicing alone and wants to be a 'rock god' to impress his mates 'down the pub'.

He recruits a band, pretends he wants to perform and move forward but really just wants to have a free backing band. He only wants to play his style of music that is narrow and quite bigoted, he won't learn the words or the chords, he won't listen to advice at all and continues in behaving in a way that winds everyone up. 18 months later we've done 3 gigs and he's all hot air and lies.

I confront him and it's me that's the problem, that and the obvious personality clash I have with him. Yes I think I do really dislike him :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='709853' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:00 PM']Take one self centred narcissistic guitar player.

He recruits a band, pretends he wants to perform and move forward but really just wants to have a free backing band. He only wants to play his style of music that is narrow and quite bigoted, he won't learn the words or the chords, he won't listen to advice at all and continues in behaving in a way that winds everyone up.[/quote]

That's him!

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='709852' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:59 AM']whats a proper dry slap - is it something kinky ? :)[/quote]

I used to work with an ex boxer travelling gent who was wound up something rotten by an idiot colleague one day.
He told the bloke "if you don't stop I'm gonna give yer a proper dry slap" The bloke didn't stop.
An open hand punch is the best way to describe it. An almighty slapping sound and the bloke fell like a sack of spuds with half his face livid red for hours afterwards. He told me a dry slap was used as he didn't want to break anybodies bones at work with a punch.

Nice thread Eddie, do I recognise you from UG or talkbass.com perhaps?

There's always one guy in every band I'm in that I clash with. I just try to keep my mouth shut and let the fury come out in the form of sweet bass fills, haha. I quit my first band because of the singer and his enormous ego, I couldn't bite my lip any longer.

I was in a band with a self indulgent, egotistical guitarist I wasn't "fond of"....

For some reason he kept speeding up during every song, and it all came to a head when Free's Wishing Well was going to take about 2 minutes from start to finish during practice....

Well I just stopped mid song and just looked at him - in a fit of temper he threw his microphone at me and it hit a Gibson EB3 I had on loan....and I kind of - blanked out........

The next thing I remember was the drummer pulling me off of the guitarist where I was trying to stuff the headstock of the EB3 down his throat......suffice to say it wasn't the proudest moment of my life - but possibly one of the most satisfying.

Edited by arsenic

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='709827' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:35 AM']I like you - you're even more f*cked up than me :) Unfortunately most of these things you are waiting for aren't all that they're cracked up to be. Never be afraid to have some fun. You'll have plenty of years as an incontinent old man to regret it if you don't.[/quote]

Yeah i know i'm a proper weirdo mate! Well you'll be glad to know that my new years resolution is to not discuss my negative emotions so much, so if you see me making more posts like this then please do point this fact out.

[quote name='HMX' post='710310' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:36 PM']Nice thread Eddie, do I recognise you from UG or talkbass.com perhaps?

There's always one guy in every band I'm in that I clash with. I just try to keep my mouth shut and let the fury come out in the form of sweet bass fills, haha. I quit my first band because of the singer and his enormous ego, I couldn't bite my lip any longer.[/quote]

Probably UG yeah, EddieHimself. That's always the problem with a lot of singers that they think they're more amazing then they actually are.

Wow 4 pages eh? That's not bad.