Why become a member? ×

I just wanna rock DJ...

niceguyhomer

Here's my latest - used to belong to Platypus and Psychoandy and now it's mine. I've had it about 3-4 weeks now but wanted to wait until my new pickguards arrived from Jeannie's Pickguards before posting - it had a boring plain white on before. It has Aero pups, a J-Retro Deluxe, a Hipshot drop D thingy and a new set of DR Sunbeams on it. Oh and I bought a new Hiscox case for it - very nice too.

The black cherry tort pickguard in this pic is just resting on top of the black one which is why it looks like there's a gap.

Real beauty!

Nice guys at Lakland. I was in Chicago on biz a couple of years ago and dropped into Lakland HQ to visit Dan Lakin who I've know since I introduced the SimS Custom L.E.D. system to him some years back (and on the back of that a bass was customised for Rhonda Smith and I believe also for the purple one) on the way back to the airport and home.

He gave me a tour and met some of the guys working on the basses. I just admire the whole Lakland concept and attention to quality.

Very nice instruments! A bit of the classic with some modern thinking throw in. Enjoy!

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

Looks amazing! I actually prefer the black guard, not a massive fan of red tort!

Doesn't the J-Retro Deluxe have the jack plug on the side of the body? with an extra knob on the front plate?

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='obbm' post='74295' date='Oct 14 2007, 08:45 PM']Very, very nice Alan. It's making me think that perhaps I need a black instead of mirror on my black DJ5.

Oh and the J-Retro is not the de-luxe.[/quote]

The black one was just an afterthought TBH - I was talking to Roger for about 20 mins and at the end of the conversation, I said I wanted the black cherry tort. He said he'd do another one at a good price with nothing extra to pay for shipping so I just said "...make me a black one too".

It was less than half the price of the BC tort but as soon as I laid it on the bass, I knew the tort was going into storage. It looks even better in the flesh.

I realise the J isn't a Deluxe - dunno where that came from.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='74326' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:22 PM'][i]Very[/i] nice. I'd vote for black too. What's it sound and play like?[/quote]

It's quite a heavy beast with the ash body but I actually don't mind that - it plays like butter and the neck is the closest thing to perfection I've played. It's got a nice low action and the string spacing is quite wide which suits my big hands. Soundwise, it's a completely different sound to my departed 'Ray and my other current bass, which is a Sterling. It's very deep and powerful and gets the trousers flapping in a way I haven't felt for quite a few basses. Tone is very much 70s rather than vintage and it's got a slap tone to die for.

I actually prefer the passive tone rather than active and at first, I was going to remove the J-Retro to give me more control with the passive tone but I'm going to play with it a bit and see if I can get used to the the preamp.

I've used it at two gigs now and on Saturday, we were having problems with the sound. It was a wide room with a high ceiling - which had a big, raised tent-like section in the middle and a hollow boomy stage. I soundchecked with the DJ and it sounded fat and bassy but there wasn't much definition to my sound even when we'd fiddled with the EQ to compensate because of the room effects. So I switched to my trusty Sterling and believe it or not, there was still no definition and all the bottom end disappeared.

Needless to say I switched back to the DJ and when the dance floor filled up with a few bodies, the overall band sound improved dramatically.

Really loving it.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Alan

Try this on the J-Retro:

Wind back the bass pot because the J-Retro has bass boost at the detent.

Wind back the treble pot to take the top off.

Wind the mid frequency all the way back, i.e. as low as possible

Boost the mid level pot to taste.

Pan the blend control towards the bridge pick-up.

I find this a good starting point and it punches through everything.

I use this with the amp almost flat and then boost the bass control a gnats if need be or tweak the blend back toward the centre.

Works for me.

[quote name='eude' post='74478' date='Oct 15 2007, 10:47 AM']Holy crap! That bass is gorgeous!
Is it a special edition? I've never seen a Black DJ with a maple neck and blocks.

Oh, and I'd go with the black scratch plate by the way.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Maple neck with blocks is a standard option. Both my DJ4 and DJ5 are maple with blocks.

I'm going to get a black pg now.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='74488' date='Oct 15 2007, 10:58 AM']I liked the Phil Lynott look Dave!![/quote]

I know Nick but I've realised that I have to act my age. :) . This is not as classy as Homers.

The only reason you like it was that you could see Gill's backside reflected in it when she was wiggling.

I had a P that was B/B maple and that had killer looks. I'll get a Black one and try it.

Edited by obbm