Why become a member? ×

For all you Pino fans!

Hutton

[quote name='OldGit' post='669750' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:39 AM']It was the Paul Young Album "Ne parlez" that made the general bass playing public aware of him, though I am sure he was around before. When "Wherever I lay my hat" jumped out of the radio and TOTP we all went "Wha???! What is that and who is that guy?" That was in 1983...
The TOTP youtubes generally have idiot DJ's talking over the intro...

To my mind he took the Jaco fretless stuff and refined it for a more general audience.[/quote]
What he said... :)

The man`s a genius. If you can get a hold of a dvd called the Strat Pack get it, he plays in the house band and his playing is superb. He was in one of Jools Holland`s first bands for a while and whilst his playing was amazing, Jools was glad he left as he was costing him a fortune in food!

You can keep your Jaco, Wooten, Miller and all that. He`s the man!

Jez

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='669483' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:10 PM']Why is Pino famous, is he in a famous bad or a session style player?[/quote]

He was acceptable in the '80s!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhQ3iC54QM"]Pino Palladino[/url]

To be fair he's been a consistently top-knacker bassist. He's on [url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ekoe_de-la-soul-feat-chaka-khan-all-good_music"]this too[/url].

John Mayer though? He's this decade's Garth Brooks.

[quote name='kets' post='669846' date='Nov 30 2009, 11:01 AM']Awesome post, Pino IS the man! John Mayer's an awesome axemeister as well though, very Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Pino also did some superb playing on Joan Armatradings "The Shouting Stage" Album. Check out the intro to "The Devil I know", could be the best Pino lick ever IMO.[/quote]

Yep, very tasty lick indeed that!....
+1 to 'he's the man'..... lovely player, always seems to play just the right thing for the song.... never gets in the way (even when he's busy) & manages to stamp his unique character on everything he does...

Great player! Like has been said before, if I want to be inspired on my fretless I will listen to Pino fisrt, without a doubt, not taking anything away from great players like Jaco, Mark egan etc, but Pino's stuff is just so relevant and accessible, even the mrs likes it cos he played on loads of stuff she used to buy. every time you watched the tube back in the day, Pino was on!

Tony

A couple of years ago I went to see a British singer in a local pub here in Belgium with Pino on bass, Ian Thomas on drums and Neil Hubbard on guitar. Amazing stuff and I bought the cd (Tony O'Malley-Naked flame).
Later on Tony moved to Belgium and he asked me to come and play in his band so I had to step into Pino's shoes, an impossible task.
The first gig I brought a fretless musicman with me and while I was going through the repertoire I didn't copy Pino's licks but tried something of my own.
At one particular moment in a song ("For the children") I remembered this perfect fill Pino played on the album and I had to make a choice : reproduce it or play my own fill. The moment approached and I chose the Pino fill.
I was sure the singer didn't remember Pino's fill but when I had played it, he quickly showed me thumbs up. The only time during the whole performance...
A reminder that only the Pino-fill réally stood out and not my own attempts :-)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='670822' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:19 AM']The track is called:

[b]"Who Did You Think I Was?"[/b] :rolleyes:[/quote]

You're right, 'Everyday I have The Blues' is the first track from the Trio set, think I was getting muddled up cos the OP made me put the DVD on and have a play along :), love the intro to EIHTB.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='674313' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:46 PM']You're right, 'Everyday I have The Blues' is the first track from the Trio set, think I was getting muddled up cos the OP made me put the DVD on and have a play along :), love the intro to EIHTB.

Si[/quote]

Me too.

Always find it inspiring to watch/listen to if I'm feeling a little musically "jaded,", if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Every time Pino is mentioned I feel the need to tell of the time he was playing on the Welsh language scene. He recorded quite a lot. I put up www.myspace/pinopalladino to showcase some of it. I am aware that I am something of a cracked record about this but there are very few genuine solos from him out there.

[quote name='OldGit' post='669750' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:39 AM']It was the Paul Young Album "Ne parlez" that made the general bass playing public aware of him, though I am sure he was around before. When "Wherever I lay my hat" jumped out of the radio and TOTP we all went "Wha???! What is that and who is that guy?" That was in 1983...
The TOTP youtubes generally have idiot DJ's talking over the intro so here's a complete version.

To my mind he took the Jaco fretless stuff and refined it for a more general audience.[/quote]Two bass lines, overdubbed made this a great bassline.
Laurie Latham produced this monster and in my opinion, sucked the life out of a classic song.
He tried to do the same with the Stranglers.....and succeeded. :)

The TOTP youtubes generally have idiot DJ's talking over the intro so here's a complete version.

To my mind he took the Jaco fretless stuff and refined it for a more general audience.[/quote]

I recently learnt Wherever I Lay my hat on my fretless as I wanted to teach it to one of my students (a great 16 year old bassist). I even lent him my bass for a few weeks to explore.

What a track, what a sound and what a bassist he is. I clearly remember Paul Young in the early eighties and Pino's basslines really jumped out at you, even if you were not a bassist.