Why become a member? ×

Do I need a second bass?

Marvin

Of course to anyone with GAS that is a stupid question, however.

Next year things are set up to start gigging. Currently I only own one bass, an Ibanez SR300 and a practice amp. The bass does a decent job, however being active I was considering getting a passive as a back-up. Money is always a bit tight and I'm not aiming to be a rock star, just for the fun, so don't really need to splash out on loads of gear.

Hence, do I throw all available cash at the amp? Or should I get the back up bass and a slightly less expensive amp?

If money is tight and you like your Ibby, don't buy a back-up bass, buy a decent tool-kit and make sure you know how to use it.

If you've got the right set of tools for the job (and frankly you don't need that much), some spare batteries, a set of replacement strings, and a torch ... well what else could go wrong at a pub gig?

I have lots of basses, so I usually take a back-up bass. But I don't have lots of basses because I NEED a back-up bass. And the ONE occasion when I needed a back-up (someone else knocked over my bass and broke a tuner clean off) I didn't have one with me anyway. :) I went home and got another.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='660532' date='Nov 20 2009, 08:41 PM']If money is tight and you like your Ibby, don't buy a back-up bass, buy a decent tool-kit and make sure you know how to use it.

If you've got the right set of tools for the job (and frankly you don't need that much), some spare batteries, a set of replacement strings, and a torch ... well what else could go wrong at a pub gig?

I have lots of basses, so I usually take a back-up bass. But I don't have lots of basses because I NEED a back-up bass. And the ONE occasion when I needed a back-up (someone else knocked over my bass and broke a tuner clean off) I didn't have one with me anyway. :) I went home and got another.[/quote]

I agree, I have loads of basses but usually just take the Fender. Get a decent amp there's no point in having an inadequate amp and a bass that isn't being used backstage when you could be being heard with a good tone.

I always like the idea of having more than one bass, a main one that does everything i need it to and others that have little unique charms for recording with, for gigging though i like to have one bass i always rely on, and like Happy Jack says learn to maintain your main bass so it doesn't fail and if it does you're schooled to fix it.

Once you've traded your amp up, start saving for the #2 bass. And once you've got the #2 bass, start saving for the spare amp. (Or a teeny, gig-bag pre-amp with EQ, cab-sim and XLR out).

Though I've had numerous amps fail or go a bit wobbly during gigs, I've only ever had one bass disaster so far - the E side-bit spanged off the nut during soundcheck at Kempton Park. E string hanging off the side of the neck. No spare, but a bit of gaffa tape held the string in place long enough to do the gig.

It's Sod's Law - carry a spare bass and you'll never need it, don't carry one and...

+1 to getting as good an amp as possible first though. Depends how many mates you know who play bass and owuld be willing to lend you one at reallyreallyreally short notice!

A goodly bit of gig experience as both a bassist and a PA / lighting guy has taught me to always carry:
Spare batteries
(Pre-played) spare strings
Basic toolkit
A spare for every type of lead (power, signal, speaker)
Tons of gaffa tape,
AA / RAC membership,
A big stick with a nail in the end of it,
Plenty of contraceptives.

[quote name='Marvin' post='660513' date='Nov 20 2009, 08:05 PM']....Next year things are set up to start gigging. Currently I only own one bass, an Ibanez SR300 and a practice amp....[/quote]
Why are you worrying about a second bass when you haven't got an amp yet? A practice amp won't cut it on a gig.

Decent amplification is the priority here, I would say. A backup bass is nice (I personally wouldn't be without one-I once saw a bloke break a bottom E on a Gibson Thunderbird, and it took [i]ages[/i] to change-I prefer to have one that I can grab in a hurry), but you gotta have a decent amp. The backup bass can come later.

You can pick up a cheap but decent bass off eBay for under £50. I break strings every so often so a spare is essential for me, just something cheap i can sling in a corner

No matter how well you maintain your bass something can always go wrong. The volume pot on my Warwick went kaputt with no warning a couple of years ago, spare bass saved the day then

I used to have a 70s P and A Mex J, and the problem was that because it was so much easier to play (for me anyway), I used to gig the jazz, and the precision which cost me 5x as much sat in the case unplayed...whenever I've had more than one, I just end up playing the nicest to play, so now just stick with one!

As for an amp...definitely worth the investment. A decent £50 bass through a nice amp will sound great, but a £10,000 bass through a £50 amp would most likely be less than pleasant.

Lets start a one bass only club!

Cheers guys

[quote name='The Funk' post='660576' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:55 PM']You don't need a second bass. I have 6 or 7 (not quite sure). I only need 1.

I always gig with spare batteries for the actives. What more do you need? How many of you have ever broken a string on a gig?[/quote]

Another +1 for the amp, if money is tight hartke's are incredible for the price. There are also alot in the second hand place here at stupidly low prices.

As for broken strings I actually broke a B at a gig once. God knows how. Had my Geddy with me however so just switched to that and managed without the low B.

If you maintain your main bass properly you shouldn't have much problem. But then there's always accidents...

I bought a cheapish Ibanez Jet King as backup to my Jazz but I think I made a big mistake there. If you really think you need a backup bass rather than just something different, get one that's very similar to your main one. The Ibanez is very different in feel and sound to the Jazz plus it's a 22-fret which throws me out for while. Consequently I've never really used it and am thinking of selling it and getting Squier Jazz or similar.

As others have mentioned here, a spare amp is probably money better spent so go fo a separate cab and head. I take a spare head with me which is far preferable to lugging about a combo.

Edited by thinman

[quote name='thinman' post='660973' date='Nov 21 2009, 01:22 PM']As others have mentioned here, a spare amp is probably money better spent so go fo a separate cab and head. I take a spare head with me which is far preferable to lugging about a combo.[/quote]

NO! Don't do it!

Buy a DI box, nothing fancy, just a £30 battery-powered jobbie you can sling in your gig bag along with an XLR cable.

If your amp dies on you, in 60 seconds flat you can be playing through the PA.

It won't be perfect and it's certainly not a long-term solution (IMO anyway) but it'll get you through the one gig where your amp dies.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='660987' date='Nov 21 2009, 01:48 PM']NO! Don't do it!

Buy a DI box, nothing fancy, just a £30 battery-powered jobbie you can sling in your gig bag along with an XLR cable.

If your amp dies on you, in 60 seconds flat you can be playing through the PA.

It won't be perfect and it's certainly not a long-term solution (IMO anyway) but it'll get you through the one gig where your amp dies.[/quote]

Fair point but that assumes you're always playing at the level where you have a PA up to the job. Many pub gigs don't.