Why become a member? ×

Speeding The Tape Up

Pete Academy

In the 80s I used to record a lot of my own stuff on a Portastudio. I discovered that playing something with the tape slowed down and then speeding it up to pitch made certain things sound tighter.

Is it true that technique was used in the days of tape in recording studios? Some recordings I hear from funk bands of the 70s and 80s sometimes sound just a bit too good and tight, especially the horns.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='659525' date='Nov 19 2009, 07:09 PM']In the 80s I used to record a lot of my own stuff on a Portastudio. I discovered that playing something with the tape slowed down and then speeding it up to pitch made certain things sound tighter.

Is it true that technique was used in the days of tape in recording studios? Some recordings I hear from funk bands of the 70s and 80s sometimes sound just a bit too good and tight, especially the horns.[/quote]

Yep. It's still used now. Listen to some of the guitar solos on some of the more extremely technical prog-metal albums. They have parts that if you see the guitarists live, they literally can't play that fast. It works even better with digital audio because with timestretch effects you can speed up the rhythm without affecting pitch.

I also used the tape trick a few times on my porta 488, but it didn't always work depending on the instrument.

Edited by maxrossell

James Brown - Sex Machine is a good example. It's played back faster than it was recorded.

I noticed when trying to figure out how Bootsy was playing what he played. Slow it down and the pitch also drops so you can use the open E string.

Also, it's slower and very groovy, and James sounds like he does on other records. But speeded up it sounds tighter and has more energy, I can understand why they did it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='659586' date='Nov 19 2009, 08:07 PM']I had a Fostex 250. It cost me £500 at trade in the early 80s!!!

I could get 10 tracks out of it, though, with some bouncing.[/quote]

Yeah. It blows my mind that my Tascam 488 set me back £600 in 1997, and now you can pick one up for a tenner on the 'bay.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='659531' date='Nov 19 2009, 07:15 PM']Yep. It's still used now. Listen to some of the guitar solos on some of the more extremely technical prog-metal albums. They have parts that if you see the guitarists live, they literally can't play that fast. It works even better with digital audio because with timestretch effects you can speed up the rhythm without affecting pitch.

I also used the tape trick a few times on my porta 488, but it didn't always work depending on the instrument.[/quote]

I would be interested in some examples of this in the tech metal genre. Can you think of any obvious examples?

[quote name='metaltime' post='659797' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:25 AM']I would be interested in some examples of this in the tech metal genre. Can you think of any obvious examples?[/quote]

Dragonforce. A while back I ran into a couple of guys who delivered cables to the studio where they recorded Ultra Beatdown and they saw the guitarist who isn't Herman Li cutting some harmony parts over a half-speed session.

To be fair I couldn't even play their parts at half the speed, so kudos on technique either way. Not that I particularly like their stuff, but hey.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='659799' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:32 AM']Dragonforce. A while back I ran into a couple of guys who delivered cables to the studio where they recorded Ultra Beatdown and they saw the guitarist who isn't Herman Li cutting some harmony parts over a half-speed session.

To be fair I couldn't even play their parts at half the speed, so kudos on technique either way. Not that I particularly like their stuff, but hey.[/quote]

Yeah IIRC their bassist uses ESP, I have one, very under-rated!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='659872' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:04 AM']I heard Hit Me With Your Rythm Stick was speeded up quite substantially taking it up from E to F.

Common practice in the 70s to do this to give songs more punch.[/quote]

Dave Robinson at Stiff was notorious for this - anyone see Tracey Ullman on the Stiff documentary on BBC 4 recently - she said it gave her real problems on TOTP.