Why become a member? ×

Are some basses suited to different playing styles than others?

john_the_bass

The simple answer to the above question is yes.

But to elaborate, I am sitting at my desk with my Martin HD-28V on my knee. It's a bloody outstandingly beautiful instrument that, when played with a flatpick, is quite simply the best sounding guitar I have ever heard. But try and fingerpick with it and it's a bit, well, crap really. So ok, if you want a guitar to strum and play songs on, that's the guitar to have (IMO of course).

What about basses - if you're a pick player and you want a bass, what should you go for that sounds better than all other basses when played with a pick? For me it would have to be an ordinary no frills passive P Bass - but everybody's different.

What have you played that sounded great with fingers but crap with a pick. What could you slap the hell out of to your heart's content but just didn't fit with normal fingerstyle playing?

Have we had this thread before? Answers on a postcard while I go and turn the heating on.

[quote name='Sibob' post='657153' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:15 PM']My US Standard Jazz bass suits all of my needs. I have a couple of other toys that I very much enjoy alongside it, but it really is an all-in-one bass.

Si[/quote]

+1! haha. my standard american 08 jazz does all my work for me. Sounds great no matter what and has a really nice range of tones that pretty much all have their uses.

I think there are pidgeon holes that generally fit styles in regards to basses, but that could also apply to amps and cabs as well, IMO.

A pick driven P-Bass into a 15 is one.
A Jazz slap tone.

Ken Smith slap,
Warwick... punchy finger-style.

MM modern day P-Bass...

I don't play with a pick anymore but when I made the change over to finger-style I couldn't reconcile the amp with a sound that worked for both. So tonally different then that I couldn't go between the two..it had to be one or the other..

For me the stock answer is going to be Fender jazz or Precision bass. They have been industry standards for ages and many boutique makers still use the basic designs. They can do metal, funk, jazz straight ahead rock without much issue. Will it be able to sound like a warwick though? Probably not. I personally think it comes down to whether the player is capable of playing different styles rather than the bass. Also looks can play more of an issue than an actual sound. You never tend to see guys in garage rock bands playing 6 string Fodera type basses.

On balance my post doesn't really say anything, other than the Fender is suited to many different types of music because people see it being used for different types of music!

Sorry about that.

[edit] I did mean 'Fender' not Fenfer!

Edited by thodrik

is it possibly more a question of what bass suits you, as opposed to what bass suits what style? We're always banging on about 'The funk's in the player, not the bass' and 'most of your sound comes from your fingers', and I agree that there are some basses that beg to be spanked, and others that need a good fingering (yes, I'm still on about basses here!) but possibly it's about what works with YOU in each situation.

Case in point: I can't stand P's because whatever I play doesn't sound good on a P style bass. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to chug MustHang Sally, rip thru some early RHCP, or play some Rush, The bass and I sound *C*R*A*P*.

Yet gimme a EBMM/G&L/Sandberg on any gig and (in my very humble and often misguided opinion) I will be able to make a noise I'm happy with!

Does that make sense, or am I talking Bulls Hit?

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='657254' date='Nov 17 2009, 05:42 PM']is it possibly more a question of what bass suits you, as opposed to what bass suits what style?[/quote]

spot on that man !

i think it's a lot to do with the way you feel about the instrument, as well as actual differences.

Probably classical music on an electric bass played with a pick won't work very well, but other than that I think you can play any style of music with any bass. Sometimes you'll just have to play better to make certain basses work as well as others, but put away your preconceptions and you’ll find it's all just music!

For me, a Jazz can cover finger, slap and pick the best as an all rounder. However, a Precision is better with a pick but weaker with fingers and slap. A Musicman is better with fingers and slap but weaker with a pick. A Warwick is better with fingers and slap but weaker with a pick. So a Jazz for overall in my book. Of course its all individual and in the hands of the player. I am sure there are many players out there that could prove me wrong, for example, make a Warwick sound amazing with a pick and a Precision sound amazing at slap.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='thodrik' post='657172' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:35 PM']I personally think it comes down to whether the player is capable of playing different styles rather than the bass. Also looks can play more of an issue than an actual sound. You never tend to see guys in garage rock bands playing 6 string Fodera type basses.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='657283' date='Nov 17 2009, 06:07 PM']Ultimately though the rule is there are no rules and people should use whatever they like.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='chris_b' post='657358' date='Nov 17 2009, 07:01 PM']Sometimes you'll just have to play better to make certain basses work as well as others, but put away your preconceptions and you’ll find it's all just music![/quote]

+1

But if I were REALLY pushed for an answer....

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='657668' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:51 PM']P-bass.[/quote]

C :)

An intriguing question and I used to think P-Basses were versatile to cut it all but now I am slowly beginning to think that no matter how good the player, some people just can't get a P to become a funk machine.

I am getting much more into active basses now though for the sound and for me, that's where the P falls down, still an amazing bass though, especially the older ones, but in the right hands, they can hold their own against pretty much anything! Rounds and a pick, great rock sound, flats and fingerstyle, funk machine....such a versatile bass, I love P basses!

Edited by AM1

My good allrounder would have to be my 3EQ Stingray. Very versatile, and always gets a good sound if I am playing either pick or finger style. My Squier Jazz loaded with EMG's is also a good bass for this.

For retro sounds I love my Rickenbacker 4001, and my Gibson Thuderbird. I play these mostly with a pick, and the Ric sounds gorgeous when playing chord and arpegiated type stuff. The Tbird is a good, growly, low end driven rock monster.

P basses are good at getting the job done, and sound best when played with a pick IMHO

My old Gibson EB2 has to be a sinner in terms of being versatile! :) I love that bass to bits, but it is definately a one trick pony. But what a trick :lol: For low end, it can make a 5 string sound weedy. True 70's wooly, trouser flapping bass. Lovely thin, fast, short scale neck as well. Never fails to put a smile on my face when I pick it up. Sounds just the same playing with a pick or finger style. I think trying to play slap on one of these would be plain silly! :rolleyes:

IMHO, Ibanez make some good value for money allrounders as well