Why become a member? ×

Michael Manring

AdamWoodBass

^^ Just an observation!

Watch the video and count how many times his hands adjust the d-tuners. - to much in my opinion! I'm not knocking his skills in anyway as I realise one note from him would blow away my entire playing skills but...I just want to hear him groove, simples!

Edited by andy67

To be honest, I usually avoid solo bass pieces and withhold my opinion, because they're not really my muffin. The [i]real[/i] reason I viewed the first Manring piece was to see what was so good that it merited such confrontational posts. And the reason I abandoned my usual practise and posted as I did was to see what would happen next. Because I really don't give a rat's ass about the issue either way.

I'm always intrigued by the conflict that arises when we get on to the bass virtuoso topic. There seem to be three broadly prevailing attitudes:

* Deeply entrenched, unpleasant Luddite aversion to experimentation, manifesting itself in the character assassination of people like Wooten, Manring et al
* Furious zealotry for 'The Cause' - resulting in unpleasant disparagement of players (including fellow BC-er's) who adopt a more simplistic approach or 'fail to understand'
* An acceptance that the world is big enough both to accomodate differing approaches to the bass and differing opinions.

We agree to differ on string gauges, fretless necks and Badass bridges - why not here? Well, I sense that, for the extreme Luddites and the extreme Zealots, personal issues at stake. I could speculate at length, but it would ignite further unpleasantness.

Attitudinally I usually fall into the third group above - Acceptance - but I have a specific exclusion. The world is not big enough to accomodate the attempted suppression of either self-expression or opinion

[/creosote rant]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='654464' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:56 PM']Attitudinally I usually fall into the third group above - Acceptance - but I have a specific exclusion. The world is [i]not[/i] big enough to accomodate the attempted suppression of either self-expression or opinion.[/quote]

/stands, ovates/

F*#k this, (sorry Sibob) ...but I'm goin ta bed.
Yes "Skank" for president of something ??
And Michael Manring....a talent obviously, but where do ya get "stunning"...??
I'm not trying to be a smartarse, (sorry Sibob),...or antagonistic,...but that sort of thing would only appeal to a minority surely. !!
I have just watched Cliff Williams....he's a Pom isn't he,? doing his thing with AC/DC....I have a new found respect for "British" bass players, and the Precision Bass,...basic,.. but good.
He should show Michael how to do it. !!

[quote name='andy67' post='654435' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:15 PM']ps Wot, please put a link up to that live performance.[/quote]
Andy - thank you very much for the compliments! However, there's no way I'm posting a link to me plunking away on a Michael Manring thread. ha ha...

I'd like to apologise to AdamWoodBass for spoiling his thread, and anyone else I've managed to upset.

In the general spirit of 'it's all over now', here's my picture to help spread happy throughts:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='654563' date='Nov 14 2009, 03:36 PM'][/quote]

It's all about personal taste at the end of the day.
A bit like this steak.
Chefs will tell you that this is the perfect way to serve a steak- still pink in the middle, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Well done :)

[quote name='chardbass' post='654693' date='Nov 14 2009, 06:03 PM']It's all about personal taste at the end of the day.
A bit like this steak.
Chefs will tell you that this is the perfect way to serve a steak- still pink in the middle, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Well done :)[/quote]

Not nearly rare enough for me, and where is the mustard?