Why become a member? ×

What bass for a small handed fellow

Small bear in a suit

Hey peeps,

So all excited and about to go bass testing. Messed around a bit many years ago but I'm pretty much a new starter and will be playing in church as soon as my little fat fingers garner the necessary skills. Looking for something with a narrow neck and pretty lightweight for around £300-£400 squids. a couple of people mentioned the Ibanez SR series. Was wondering if anyone has any views?

Any pointers / experience much appreciated

Ta muchly

[quote name='Tait' post='646842' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:33 PM']tbh i dont think it makes much of a difference. i have tiny hands and love a precision width neck. but you can't beat an ibnez soundgear if you want a skinny neck.[/quote]

Cheers dude, I guess it's just having a good ol' fiddle and seeing what feels nice (so to speak). Ta for the feedback

I've got small hands, and unless you're trying to play something mental like portrait of tracy, it doesn't really matter. Just go to a shop and see what feels comfortable, then come back onto basschat and see if you can buy it second hand, as it's usually half the price that way.

Jazz, Ibanez Soundgear, all good.

I find the Spector Legend the most comfortable neck for me, about as narrow as the Jazz, but doesn't taper up the neck, and a little bit deeper. Seem to remember playing a cheaper Warwick that was similar but can't remember what it was.

Agree with what's said above. Small hands aren't really an issue. There are 5 foot high wimmin playing full size upright basses so don't worry, go with what you like, after trying many of course. I think a 35inch scale is possibly more of an issue, just go for a standard long scale 34inch, which most 4 string basses are. There are short scale basses though if your fingers really are tiny.

Any bass is the right size for your hands. You just have to move your hands more rather than anchoring your left hand and stretching. It's the same process when you move from 4 to 5 or 6 string basses. Your technique will just require more movement.

[quote name='Small bear in a suit' post='646832' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:21 PM']Hey peeps,

So all excited and about to go bass testing. Messed around a bit many years ago but I'm pretty much a new starter and will be playing in church as soon as my little fat fingers garner the necessary skills. Looking for something with a narrow neck and pretty lightweight for around £300-£400 squids. a couple of people mentioned the Ibanez SR series. Was wondering if anyone has any views?

Any pointers / experience much appreciated

Ta muchly[/quote]

Buy what you are comfortable with whether that is a short scale , standard scale or longer. One thing that is overlooked is that it is not necessarily the scale length but where the neck is in relation to your body. Some bass designs push the neck away from you and others bring it closer. It is this relationship that is important. Unless a bass is ergonomically designed (most aren't) the only way to try this is to put one round your neck and see if it is comfortable. Big fat necks are fine if you don't need to reach too far, and conversely skinny necks can be a pain if you end up with your fretting hand along way from your body.
Bring into this technique, where you like to play on the neck and how low you sling your bass it becomes obvious that there is no golden rule and the best bet is to go with what is comfortable in use.

Paul

[quote name='Zach' post='647027' date='Nov 6 2009, 11:32 AM']I've got small hands, and unless you're trying to play something mental like portrait of tracy, it doesn't really matter.[/quote]
Actually the bulk of Portrait of Tracy is played on false harmonics between the 3rd and 5th frets so even relatively tiny hands could stretch to that. Don't be put off just 'cos the self proclaimed "best bass player in the world" wrote it :)

Oops, forgot to say; If you're near a decent music shop then go and try some - there's nothing like hands on and don't get too worried about scale length - even a 36" scale isn't difficult to play if the bass has been set up properly. Ibanez are good but I'd definitely try a few different types (4, 5 string, long, medium short scale and active, passive), so you can build a picture of the features you really want on a bass. Even if you're in the sticks it's worth a day trip to the city. 400 quid will buy you a good new bass or a very nice second hand one so wave the cash under their noses and don't be pushed into buying the first one you try. Good luck and enjoy yerself!!!

Edited by henry norton

Ignore the numbers. It's all about what feels comfortable. I'm a small bloke (under 5'6", can just make a 1 octave stretch on a keyboard), but for a long time my main bass was a 36" scale 5 string Overwater, because it was so easy to play. Didn't even realise it was 2" longer than normal until the first time I changed the strings and wondered why the 34" ones I'd just bought didn't fit!

i've only got short fingers yet maganed quite happily with J & P basses for 30 years,until i discovered short scale wow now it's all i play.
i have one of these
[url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Epiphone/Allen-Woody-Rumblekat.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-G...-Rumblekat.aspx[/url]
love it bits,mind i like retro style basses & man does it kick arse in the sound department.
£359.00 from guitar guitar delvered.
i rate it as one of the nicest basses i have ever owned & build quality is amazing for this price range.
however if you like modern looking/sounding basses you'll probably hate it :)

Edited by artisan

As others have said, small hands doesn't always mean you'll find a skinny neck more comfortable.

If you do like a skinny neck, the Ibanez SR500 has a very thin neck, and is an excellent bass for the money. But for me the neck is simply too thin. I much prefer Stingray / Precision / Warwick necks.

Its really a question of trying a few and seeing what you find comfortable.

sorry to hijack the thread but this question might help you too.

I have a 33" scale bass. Its so easy to get around compared to 34" and 35". It plays amazing and I find it weird going back to a 34" scale. feels too big now.

I dont know any basses with this scale though. Anyone know of any 33" scale basses?? I wouldnt mind trying some out too.

Cheers
Jobie

+1 for the peavey - I tried various beasts when looking for my first 5-string, some far higher value instruments, but ended up with a Peavey Millennium because it just felt right for my short fingers! Slim neck, 34" scale.

Incidentally, short fingers is partly why I went to 5-string, to give me more opportunity to play across the neck rather than up or down. Don't know whether that's good technique or not, and there are certainly other issues involved such as tone, but it seems to work for me! I'd be reluctant to go back to 4.

Not having owned too many basses I'm not overwhelmed with knowledge, however, I have an Ibanez SR and although the neck is slim it doesn't necessarily mean that it is automatically best suited for small hands ( i also have small hands).

I coming to the conclusion it's the whole package. If your standing up for example how it sits on your body etc.

So best to try a few out and just get to know what is comfortable.

Don't get me wrong I do like my Ibanez and wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='647392' date='Nov 6 2009, 04:54 PM']sorry to hijack the thread but this question might help you too.

I have a 33" scale bass. Its so easy to get around compared to 34" and 35". It plays amazing and I find it weird going back to a 34" scale. feels too big now.

I dont know any basses with this scale though. Anyone know of any 33" scale basses?? I wouldnt mind trying some out too.

Cheers
Jobie[/quote]

I don't know about 33" scale, but I used to have a Aria TSB550 with straight through neck whic was 32" and I loved it.
I had it defretted with a percussion plate installed by Jimmy Moon. I wish I could get another one.

Peter