Why become a member? ×

recommend a 2x15 for me please

Bay Splayer

looking to get a bigger rig, probably gonna go for the HARTKE LH 500 head

want to run it into a 2x15......with poss a 4x10 to follow when budget allows :)

want a [i]not too cheap/not too expensive [/i]2x15 that wont fart with plenty of bottom, am willing to sacrifice top end til i get the other cab

budget £400/450

any comments/suggestions/opinions appreciated

ta

[quote name='jonthebass' post='641886' date='Oct 31 2009, 02:02 PM']I would say hang on a bit longer and get the dough together for a BareFaced Vintage 2x15".
My 2 Compacts are stunning together and can only presume the Vintage is the same if not a little better.

Cheers,
JTB[/quote]

Plus that will probably have more top than most 4x10s without a tweeter, and you can add a tweeter.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='641886' date='Oct 31 2009, 02:02 PM']I would say hang on a bit longer and get the dough together for a BareFaced Vintage 2x15".
My 2 Compacts are stunning together and can only presume the Vintage is the same if not a little better.

Cheers,
JTB[/quote]
+2

Heard Merton's Vintage at the SE Bash and it was unbelievably good!! And considering it's a 215, it was pretty light as well...

Cheers,
JTB[/quote]

Accoring to the website, a single Compact can happily handle up to 600 watts, so the 500 watt Hartke wouldnt present it with a problem.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/compact.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/compact.htm[/url]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='642324' date='Nov 1 2009, 09:12 AM']+2

Heard Merton's Vintage at the SE Bash and it was unbelievably good!! And considering it's a 215, it was pretty light as well...[/quote]

+3 - and Merton also runs a LH 500 I believe. Excelent tone from that combination. I was really impressed with all of the Barefaced offerings, but particularly the Compacts and Midgets. Maybe start with a Compact, then add a Midget if and when you need the extra volume?

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Shaggy' post='642385' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:42 AM']Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15: Road-ready (flightcased) model, EV loaded, 800W, 4ohm mono or 2x8ohm stereo. Tightest sounding 2x15 I've tried, but rather surplus now I'm DI-ing. £300 if you're interested. :)[/quote]

Now there's an offer and a cab!
I had the Mesa Boogie Diesel 800W 2x15" once upon a time and it is an awesome bit of kit.

The only down side is that it's a 2 person lift so beware of that.

Regards,
Jon

If you're looking at 2x15 cabs then the Barefaced Vintage is one of the best. If that's too expensive try to find a used Mesa Boogie 215 or 1516 full range cab, but if you want a [i]big[/i] sound there might still be a used Ampeg 8x10 in the For Sale section.

If you can find one second hand........

I used to have a Trace Elliot V-Type full rig, with the 1528 V-Type 2X15 cab. Provided lots of serious low end. It's a full sized cab, and rather a weighty beast though. The early versions were available in green carpet, later ones in black vinyl/tolex.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='642385' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:42 AM']Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15: Road-ready (flightcased) model, EV loaded, 800W, 4ohm mono or 2x8ohm stereo. Tightest sounding 2x15 I've tried, but rather surplus now I'm DI-ing. £300 if you're interested. :)[/quote]
I think that is probably what you're after

[quote name='jonthebass' post='642404' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:12 AM']Now there's an offer and a cab!
I had the Mesa Boogie Diesel 800W 2x15" once upon a time and it is an awesome bit of kit.

The only down side is that it's a 2 person lift so beware of that.

Regards,
Jon[/quote]
Nah......only if there's stairs! On castors too :)

BARGAIN!!!

If you can find one, and have the strength - the Warwick Terminator cab was great - 2x15 and 2x10 in the single box. They come up cheap cos no bugger can lift them!

Since you'll not ever find a Berg NV215 for that money it just has to be the Barefaced Vintage.

Played through one with Alex's Shuttle 6.0 this weekend

Massive massive massive volume, deep lows staggering midrange detail and bark, lovely top end with no annoying sizzle.

Having said that the Big One was causing what sounded like structural damage at one point :)

• 1 month later...

LOOKS GREAT!!! Congrats!!! I s'pose it's basically 2 TL606 bins ontop of each other-sideways... :-/ ya know wot I mean!!!! Great cabs the ol' TL606 &I've still got my single 1x15 TL606, with a EV 400w'er in it. It sounds great & stupidly I'd probly only get $100 AUS if I chose to sell :-( I built the cab on specs I bought way back B4 this interweb thang ;-) & the spkr olone cost $450AUS WHOLESALE RRP was $795 then!!!!!!!!!! So if it weren't for my NV215 & the fact that I'm gettin older & lazier & so bought a Mark Bass HR151 = LIGHT!!!!!! then I'd STILL use that EV 1x15 every weeek. I have stacked another on top of it B4 & that was a great experience!!! So I imagine that Mesa 2x15 would be a KILLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice bass too BTW-- is it a Geddy w/ a mirror guard?? Looks great anyway!