Why become a member? ×

a few amp builds i've done.

umph

right i've done a few amp builds now and recently redid two of them with new tone stacks / layouts etc.

so first off this was the firts amp i built on a course a while ago now and is based on a bassman 5f6 it puts out around 50watts from 2 6l6s and does a lovely warm vintage sound on low volumes and sounds the absolute dogs cranked with guitar

full picture

full guts

power section

pre section

Next i got a roost amp a while ago that was in quite a state of disrepair but the transformers where still good (i love partridge) so i rebuilt most of it and recently stuck a new preamp in which needs tidying up after a bit more testing. It has a low gain simple preamp with just gain, bass, treble, bass boost and volume controls and a single input, so it wont do you heavy overdriven front end sounds but it'll do nice power amp overdrive which is very nice with 6Xel34s. I havn't had it on the test gear yet since my dummy load exploded (always remember to turn your fans on) but it should be doing around 150watts!

The head box definatly needs doing up and i'm going to be sourcing someone out to rebuild the box / make me a front plate at some point and have it done in racing green hopefully! If anyone knows anyone around the sheffield area whos good at this and isn't going to charge the earth i'd be greatful.

front

back

whole of guts

preamp - will be redone on a bigger board and tidied once i'm 100% sure i'm not going to be changing anything.

my next project is going to be modding a harley benton GA5 (epiphone valve junior) into a more bass friendly recording amp that'll do big gain sounds!

overall i'm quite pleased with my efforts so far in building amps although its turning into a very expensive hobby although i do recomend other people taking it up if you have the time.

Edited by umph

bump for pictures of kt88 amp.

i'd rather not go to matamp since its generally not going to be very cheap, i know jeff is the nads when it comes to covering and building cabs but, my tutor may know some people over in nottingham.

The newest one which i havn't got pictures of at the minute is a 200 watter 4Xkt88 amp. This one does brutal low end, it has no problems getting out the low a sharp and then some more on my bass. Again i've gone for the lower gain approach for the preamp on this one also, but the preamps a bit different it has bright and dark gains, kind've like bridging two channels on a hiwatt/soundcity or similar amp it also has bass, treble and a master volume. It's also going to have a post power amp DI out so when i get around to getting the transformers

inside - really messy but still dead silent!

ran out of room so some proper PTP wiring on the input for least noise possible.

the front

front with all the valves glowing

[quote name='Pentode' post='642104' date='Oct 31 2009, 07:21 PM']Some really cool stuff there!

So did the 200 Watter start off as a SC 200?

Cheers Grahame :)[/quote]
aye it did it got completely gutted though. Can't say no to a set of 200w partridge transformers for 150squids!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='642211' date='Oct 31 2009, 10:26 PM']Did you dip the transformers to protect the windings and laminations from corrosion?

Have you considered doing a recreation of a Fender Super Champ at all?[/quote]
nope partridge transformers are all dipped when there made, you don't really get better transformers than partridge.

not a super champ but i'm going to turn the GA5 into a similar style head to one of the early champs.

I do not have the skills, but can get my head around building basses. The thought of building my own amp is just too cool for words. I bet most "high end" valve preamps are a fairly small collection of good quality components. I could be wrong :)

• 1 month later...

Latest one of two - a 200watter i've built for a mate. my lead dress is getting better! will have to redo the others at some point, think next amp i do i'm gonna use different tag boards and do all the connections underneath, will be much nicer

this is the little 5 watter i've completely rebuilt, really needs a tidy up since its essentially just been a test bed, currently it has a 6SL7 for the pre valve and a 6v6 for the output, and volumes between each stage and a deep switch. It also has a post transformer DI so if you run it on a dummy load it can be ran straight into a power amp or another preamp which is great for recording or having more control of your distortion sound live.

i'll have to do some pictures of them in their proper enclosures when they're built, i'm getting them down hiwatt style but in racing green with gold pin striping and massive logos - gonna look the absolute dogs dangleys i can't wait!

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='692403' date='Dec 23 2009, 03:41 PM']this is the little 5 watter i've completely rebuilt, really needs a tidy up since its essentially just been a test bed, currently it has a 6SL7 for the pre valve and a 6v6 for the output, and volumes between each stage and a deep switch. It also has a post transformer DI so if you run it on a dummy load it can be ran straight into a power amp or another preamp which is great for recording or having more control of your distortion sound live.

i'll have to do some pictures of them in their proper enclosures when they're built, i'm getting them down hiwatt style but in racing green with gold pin striping and massive logos - gonna look the absolute dogs dangleys i can't wait![/quote]

The 5 watter is so good looking and simple , excellent work, I am sure you will get some intererested parties asking for one of these to be built for them, me included.... :)

Have you tried cable lacing using waxed lacing twine ? When I installed telecom cables, MDF's and panels we laced them, in the good old days of British Rail when things were done slowly but properly. It is by far the most time consuming but nothing compares for looks...

Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

redid the leaddress in my kt88 amp and i've done another one so heres some pictures! i'm picking up the enclosures for these very soon, really can't wait to have them done, going to look very cool!

also thanks for the nice words i still need to work on my lead dress but i think it's getting better with every build. I'm still working on the smaller amp and my next big project is going to be a 600watter amp!