Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else play a lot of open strings?

Cat Burrito

Oh yes, indeedy. 12 bar in A, means I can do the whole song one-handed. Leaves the other one free to sign autographs.

My [i]very good [/i]friend Victor Wooten (or Vic-baby, as I call him) was [i]enormously[/i] impressed by this when he caught my solo set in Pillerton Priors village hall. Expect a few surprises on his next tour. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='640930' date='Oct 30 2009, 11:45 AM']Go Smalls!

Love that Big Bottom![/quote]

You want to love Derek Smalls big bottom?

I have a few open sections in places, but there's more boxer re-adjustment than air punching unfortunately!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='640893' date='Oct 30 2009, 11:19 AM']Oh yes, indeedy. 12 bar in A, means I can do the whole song one-handed. Leaves the other one free to sign autographs.

My [i]very good [/i]friend Victor Wooten (or Vic-baby, as I call him) was [i]enormously[/i] impressed by this when he caught my solo set in Pillerton Priors village hall. Expect a few surprises on his next tour. :lol:[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Are you telling me there are more than 4 notes on this bass thing? :lol:

Send my best to Victor. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='641302' date='Oct 30 2009, 04:53 PM']I actually have a bit of a phobia of open strings. I will avoid them whenever I can and do ridiiculous stretches that my small hands can barely cope with.[/quote]

I do the same thing - I have a tendancy to hammer the open strings too hard which is OK if I'm only playing open strings but sounds strange if I'm playing fretted notes

The only opens I tend to play is E & A but will always try & play the A fretted as I prefer the sound of a fretted note as opposed to the flabby twang of an open string.
I dare say if I used more of open strings then my technique would be better.

I never really used to use any other open strings than E, sometimes A. Then about 5 years ago I started playing a lot more guitar, learning various bluesy/country licks where using open strings is the norm. I now find myself using them more on bass because of that. Maybe it's a bad habit?

The're obviously handy on fretless for checking intonation though.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='641406' date='Oct 30 2009, 06:34 PM']I'm trying to play open strings more. I always used to avoid them but now I realise it's a whole bunch of new sounds I didn't know I had. The only trouble is that I'm actually having to relearn some stuff to do it.[/quote]

I try and avoid them like the plague as they can have a different tone compared with fretted notes. Havig said that, I will always grab one if I need to scratch my backside or something. :) :rolleyes:

Ha ha great thread, I thought I was the only one! One of our songs has a great oppertunity for open strings. I place my right thb on my nose and wave my fingers at my drummer whilst blowing a raspberry, before giving the crowd a cheeky wave, pointing at the guitarist and rolling my eyes before getting back to the bass solo. Oh yes.