Why become a member? ×

Do you stare at your neck?

skankdelvar

If I'm about to play some epic, ultra complex bass run/solo, then I'll get my leg up on a monitor that's conveniently placed at the front of the stage, and pull a stupid face while ripping out said complex line/solo. Otherwise, I jump about a bit, make it look like I'm actually interested. That's how my basses get so badly beaten lol.

Zach

I've been the frontman for my band for the last 3 years but now we've got a tidy little curvy thing as our frontwoman so am able to relax and actually enjoy doing what I do best... playing bass supposedly...

So have been used to looking up and out and only glancing down for a second to make sure am sorta in the right area of the neck...

Also with my acting it has dawned on me how different I am when acting on stage and when playing on stage when I'm acting I have em wrapped round my finger but when playing I have to fight to get some attention cos its all stolen by the drummer and both guitarist... the people at school just see me as the broken guitarist... :) f*** em there just jealous...

[quote name='chris_b' post='638655' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:04 AM']I do quite a few deps and spend most of the night staring at the singer or guitarist wondering what on earth is going to happen next![/quote]

Ah yes, me too... :)
How come they forget that starting without a count can throw a dep?

I've found that in a new deppin' situation leaping about taking the limelight and stealing the audience from the front person or Guitard is generally not a good way to get that dep gig a second time ....
:rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

A liitle bit of this and a little bit of that!

I usually fretboard stare more at the start as I get my cojones in order. Fannying around on stage is part of the fun of it for me but I do need to keep refering back to my fret hand just to make sure I'm in the right place. 100% it's a confidence thing.. confidence that I am play the right thing and confidence to look at the freaks in the audience.

I did see a band recently where the bass player was stood right at the front for a large portion of the gig with a demented semi-baked stare... I was a bit disconcerting, even if it gave that "danger" element that good rock n roll needs to give it an edge.

Totaly agree that you have to give a performance, from good songs, played reasonably well through looking good to showing you are having a good time. I drop some howlers in songs quite often but just laugh them off. I've had a number of the "man, you're a great bass player" comments, which to be honest I'm not. Decidely average with limited abilities, but I make it look like I know what I'm doing. :)

I do have a bad habit of staring at the bloody set list though.. that seems to be my safety blanket of late. Apart from our singer who arses about a fair bit, I just wish I could get the others to mellow and let loose somewhat. Our lead guitard monkeys around in rehearsals but the nerves get him at a gig and he can be a bit fixed to the spot. Pity.

[quote name='OldGit' post='638763' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:36 AM']I've found that in a new deppin' situation leaping about taking the limelight and stealing the audience from the front person or Guitard is generally not a good way to get that dep gig a second time ....
:rolleyes:[/quote]

And possibly aiming higher than a 40% success rate in right notes... :)

Only kidding, i do understand what you mean.

Garry

I haven't played live in such a long time, but when I did (and I get very nervous playing in front of people so I found it impossible to look directly at people) I would look towards the back of the hall/club. Preferably at a door (maybe so I knew where the escape routes were :)). This way it appeared I was performing more for the crowd as opposed to looking too much at the instrument and ignoring them.

Good thread!
Must admit I tend to stick to the John Entwhistle / Wilko Johnson school of showmanship as there’s sufficient on-stage mayhem with the other guys. Generally focus on something towards the back of the venue just over the audience, and try to avoid slipping into doing the “chicken-neck” during the funkier numbers.
Until a couple of years back we always had female lead vocals , and sad though is I definitely I miss the rear view………. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='637842' date='Oct 27 2009, 01:13 PM']So you're tearing up the boards, the band's hot and the audience is going wild.

Or maybe not. All a bit tepid, really. Punters a bit....flat?

Looking at the gig photos the next day, you're struck by the fact that the [i]only[/i] person looking at the audience is your tiny, bouffant-haired front-man. Everyone else is staring fixedly at their instruments, tongue poking out like a dim child learning his catechisms. And that's pretty much the case for the whole set.

Me, I'm trying to force myself to look [i]up[/i] and [i]out[/i] more than I do. I think it's definitely got to help.

So, do you stare purposefully out at the assembled throng, catching peoples' eyes and acknowledging their presence. Or do you give it the Jazzbo Hunch* and pretend they are't there?

* [i][size=1] (This egregious swipe at the Jazz community does not necessarily represent the views of SkankCom, its employees, shareholders or associates and in no way suggests that adherents of the Jazz genre are deficient in any attribute which may be considered to be entirely commercially, culturally or socially beneficial).[/size][/i][/quote]

Depends on the song, but normally I glance at the Fret board, audience, band and amp in equal amounts. Mind you 3/4 of the time I'm prob playing the wrong notes.

Edited by farmer61

I do lots of staring out at the audience - in fact I've a bit of a rep. for it, do the scaning the top of peoples heads quite a bit too; I like the fact it can be quite intimidating and confrontational as I don't like playing and being ignored. I've always felt anyone who gets on stage is a bit of a show-off at heart and so wants to be the centre of attention.

In the past done lots of running about as I was sort of the focal pont of the band; live the show is everything, miss a note and it's gone some people may notice but it's gone and forgotten a minute later, well it is in the type of stuff I've always played anyway. Too much running and jumping about can of course be very irritating and look like the Horse of the Year show. I reckon the key is being comfortable with yourself on stage trying too hard always looks desperate

I've always practised in front of mirrors and worked out parts when I can look up.

Recently I've been doing a far more improv. gigs and do much more neck watching so try and find point where I can play something fairly simple and look around at the "crowd" (mostly empty room mostly)

[quote name='markl' post='638896' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:00 AM']I've always practised in front of mirrors[/quote]

Plus 1 to this infact I found my self practicing in the mirror and wearing glasses... its good practice just to add a bit of cool to your performance and plus if you get used to looking at your own ugly mug then you may feel more comfortable and confident to look at the wierdo's in the audience...

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='637995' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:02 PM']Wow, you've got to engage with your audience I think!

There is a good reason that photos may suggest you look at your frets a lot, and that's because it's usually easier to get clearer photos when you're stood still, which will often coincide with the start/end of a song.[/quote]

That explains something. I'm sure I don't look at the neck all the time, and I really make an effort not to, but every photo, there I am, eyes down.

I don't usually look at the neck at all. I do have a habit of looking at my music though, even when I know the song inside out and its something I've been working on getting away from.

Even on a stage where you can't see the audience, I look out. If I'm watching my music I look out once I've got a verse and a chorus under my belt.

This was a point I highlighted to my latest band after our first gig together.

Interestingly the drummer sings lead in a few songs and a couple of his friends pointed out 2 things. 1. They couldn't see him because his cymbals were in the way. 2. When they moved so that they could see him, he was looking at his hi-hat.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Marky L' post='638797' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:24 AM']A liitle bit of this and a little bit of that!

I usually fretboard stare more at the start as I get my cojones in order. Fannying around on stage is part of the fun of it for me but I do need to keep refering back to my fret hand just to make sure I'm in the right place. 100% it's a confidence thing.. confidence that I am play the right thing and confidence to look at the freaks in the audience.

I did see a band recently where the bass player was stood right at the front for a large portion of the gig with a demented semi-baked stare... I was a bit disconcerting, even if it gave that "danger" element that good rock n roll needs to give it an edge.

Totaly agree that you have to give a performance, from good songs, played reasonably well through looking good to showing you are having a good time. I drop some howlers in songs quite often but just laugh them off. I've had a number of the "man, you're a great bass player" comments, which to be honest I'm not. Decidely average with limited abilities, but I make it look like I know what I'm doing. :)

I do have a bad habit of staring at the bloody set list though.. that seems to be my safety blanket of late. Apart from our singer who arses about a fair bit, I just wish I could get the others to mellow and let loose somewhat.[b] Our lead guitard monkeys around in rehearsals but the nerves get him at a gig and he can be a bit fixed to the spot. Pity.[/b][/quote]

Not really about neck watching but "the Show" in general,
It's the same thing, really.

I never understand why bands spend ages getting the music right in rehearsal but don't do the show aspects, The bits between tunes, or eliminating the tumbleweed bits where the clapping should be, getting rid of the gaps where the singer feels they have to say something, and then they have no idea what to say - just rehearse all of it.
Better to work it out in private than "learn your craft" in front of an audience who go away thinking you are rubbish cos you can't handle the time it takes to set up the keyboard between tunes, etc ..
And it's all so easy to sort out ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='639503' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:56 PM']I never understand why bands spend ages getting the music right in rehearsal but don't do the show aspects,[/quote]
Agreed.

I reckon it's because playing an instrument is considered a creatively valid thing to do. But all the other stuff is seen as either premeditated 'play-acting' or spontaneous 'showing off'.

And maybe because they feel a little bit silly. Perhaps they think the other band members are going to laugh at their moves.

All very British.

Edited by skankdelvar

Like Bob, I am short sighted so I couldn't make eye contact even if I wanted to.

I do try to look up more but every time someone takes a picture that I am in (normally by accident) I find that I am staring at the fretboard.

Not that it matters a great deal to our audiences as I am usually standing behind a singer and a guitarist.

[quote name='OldGit' post='638367' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:33 PM']Well put!

So many bands forget to rehearse the show bits as well as the music[/quote]

Reminded me of this clip

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4R3fmyr0DY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4R3fmyr0DY...feature=related[/url]

Now THAT's a rehearsal ....... wish our rehearsals were as much fun as that, maybe the drummer would turn up more often.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='639753' date='Oct 29 2009, 09:17 AM']The only time I really have to look is when leaping from low down to playing chords above the 12th fret, which as I've been singing at the same time means I have to wear contact lenses not glasses or all I see is a blur.

Alex[/quote]

ah yess.. When I'm looking and up the dusty end my bi-focals mess things up a bit :)