Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Basses

Stag

I always wanted a Ricky 4001 when I started playing - so I got one on my 21st birthday with the aid of a lotta people's cash all put into buying it.

Later on, I really really wanted a Gibson EB3 due to "that" sound in Crossroads. I got some inheritance money(sadly), so I got an old Les Paul Bass cos it does the same thing and looked cooler IMO, and felt it was a good use of the money as something I could keep and cherish.

Now...

...its 2 weeks from my 30th birthday. I have some savings. I have a rig that certainly doesnt need upgrading (apart from an SVP or BSP, but thats for another time I feel) so Im thinking - do I [i]need[/i] another bass.... and if I do... I think it would probably be a P-Bass. The singer in my band has a lovely 75' P that everytime ive used seems to feel better and better. I will be trying it out through my Ampeg rig fairly soon if I can persuade him to bring it to a gig once more. It SANG to me thru my Trace before, so im expecting great things from the Ampeg, as it has the sound ive wanted from a cab for ages (not that the Trace was bad at all!)

My question to the floor is - tell me what you think of them. Ill try and structure what im currently mulling over into some nice easy bite-size points :

1) Im thinking (I could be wrong, ask my missus, apparently im frequently wrong :) ) they are pretty versatile - the tone knob on the one ive played rolls so much on (or rolls so much off the other way!) I reckon you can get pretty much any sound you want out of it, even with just the one pick up. Is this correct in most people experience?

2) I hear the weights of the instruments can tend to vary quite dramatically - is this true?

3) Are the current prices for a "vintage" one (ie. pre 1985ish - round about the £1100 mark) the REAL going rate?

4) Ive heard some rather disturbing things on here about MIA instruments and the quality of them. If I decided to go down the "new instrument" path, should I be very careful when buying an MIA one for a lot of money that may not be too pleasant at all?

5) Do you get a hard case as standard with new ones? A decent case is of course essential when spending good money on a guitar, and therefore is an added expense I could do without.... unless you get it with the guitar, which would be lovely.

Thanks chaps / chapettes. If I think of anymore stuff ill post it. In the meantime please add anything that you think may aid my decision, or anything thats just vaguely interesting about these hallowed pieces of wood.

If you want a Precision, have a look at that JV Squier on the for sale pages (if someone hasn't snapped it up already!)

The new American Standards are excellent, but as MM20 mentioned, try all Fenders before you buy. There are diamonds and dogs in all the ranges.

For me, the American Standard Jazz is the one to go for. Lovely quality and output & I just prefer the Jazz sound, but that's my personal opinion :)

Well I'm a little bias towards them as I've spent years owning various other basses and now I believe Precisions are for me. I must be very lucky as I dont think I've ever owned one of the 'bad' ones! My current '73 is my 5th seventies Precision. I've also owned newer American ones (but alas not the latest) and various Japanese types. The US current reissues I believe are great, 'GreenKing' will tell you! But for almost the same money there are some peaches of early '70s ones out there and I didnt pay ridiculous money for mine (and its as light as a feather) :) !

After a couple of decades playing active basses I thought it was definitely time to get a passive. I got a beauty of a P off the bay two years ago... an MiM!

My first and hopefully not my last.

Excuse same old photo...

I've gas for a 50s RI... trans white/maple board with gold guard... no funding at present though but.

I am NOT a Fender expert (there's plenty of those on Basschat) but I'll tell you what I know:

[quote name='Stag' post='630636' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:47 PM']1) Im thinking (I could be wrong, ask my missus, apparently im frequently wrong :rolleyes: ) they are pretty versatile - the tone knob on the one ive played rolls so much on (or rolls so much off the other way!) I reckon you can get pretty much any sound you want out of it, even with just the one pick up. Is this correct in most people experience?[/quote]

In my experience, a Precision sounds like a Precision and ... erm ... well, that's it really. The tone knob does very little except roll off the treble. You cannot make a P make "pretty much any sound". Some P's sound better than others, but they all sound like P's.

[quote name='Stag' post='630636' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:47 PM']2) I hear the weights of the instruments can tend to vary quite dramatically - is this true?[/quote]

Yes. They got a LOT heavier through the 70's. An early 70's P will usually (no guarantees) weigh less than a late 70's P. Apparently older ones can get even lighter because (?) the wood dries out a bit.

[quote name='Stag' post='630636' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:47 PM']3) Are the current prices for a "vintage" one (ie. pre 1985ish - round about the £1100 mark) the REAL going rate?[/quote]

"Pre-1985" covers a lot of ground ... about 30 years in fact. :) Date / condition / originality all make a big difference to the price. A mint all-original 1972 will probably go for more than a re-fin'd 1968 with pots and pickguard replaced. £1100 will get you a decent late 70's / early 80's bass plus a season ticket to your local chiropractor.

[quote name='Stag' post='630636' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:47 PM']4) Ive heard some rather disturbing things on here about MIA instruments and the quality of them. If I decided to go down the "new instrument" path, should I be very careful when buying an MIA one for a lot of money that may not be too pleasant at all?[/quote]

You'll hear equally disturbing things about MIJ and MIM instruments. There are good basses and bad basses - that's life. Try before you buy.

Good luck.

The new Fenders are fantastic but I've realised that a Precision only feels like a Precision to me when it has a 1.75" nut width. The new ones are 1.625" I think. I prefer the 62 reissues now.

The new ones come with a great moulded case though.

I think a P bass is very versatile - it's all in the setup and technique. I have flats and a mute on mine and while it may not do modern slap that well the mute is a fantastic device for clean studio tone. Play at the back for a picky 60s style or at the front for big round pillowy bass. It's all in there. I'm using La Bella 760FL and they are great for giving me what I think of when I think of bass.

I find the versatility comes from the fingers not the tone knob.

1) Agree with Jack that you can get marginal variations on the Prec sound. But it won't magically sound like a Jazz or a Gibbo. I reckon they're viewed as versatile in the sense that a precision can sound good across lots of different musical genres. Punk, metal, blues, country, pop, classic rock...

2) Yes, weight can vary a bit between the current Fender brands and between Precisions from different eras. But weight can also vary within the same production run at the same factory. And a pound or so either way isn't really going to make as much difference as quality woods, hardware and p'ups.

3) Age is pretty much immaterial, where post-80's Precs are concerned. And don't fret about getting a vintage Precision (What's vintage? Pre-65? Pre-69? Pre-81?). These days £1500 probably wouldn't get you a retailer's vintage bass as good as a new one or a recent s/h. And these days, who knows what's vintage, what's an old dog and what's a fake? There's a lot of manky old crap out there.

4) There are variations in quality across all the Fender brands and this has been the case for years. To echo someone else - Try before you buy. You might find a Squier or a pimped s/h MIM that ticks more happy-face boxes than an MIA.

5) Hard Case - dunno if they're standard with MIA's. But there are perfectly good aftermarket cases out there for way less than a ton. Don't let the absence of a HC (esp on a S/H bass) put you off something you like.

Edited by skankdelvar

I have 2 70's Ps and they are both dogs in my view.

I personally wouldn't go near a 70's P. But that's obviously because of my experience above. The CIJ basses have been consistently made from the early 80's IMHO and if I was looking for a P - that is what I would be looking for. Well that or a 60's P. I prefer the narrow neck profile that was available in the 60's Ps. And a sonic blue would be nice. If you are buying an old one, make sure it's a bit relic'd. With plenty of bare wood showing.

About 4 years ago I played an early 80's CIJ fretless jazz. OMG it had that Jaco tone. No kidding. I have played 100's of Fenders and this one really stood out. I eventually tracked down a new CIJ Jaco Jazz and it is amazing.

I hear lots of good things about the last 2-3 years of Fender production in America. But let's face it a P is about as basic as you can get. One PU, one volume, one tone. That said it works brilliantly in the mix, which presumably is why we are still playing them.

Peace
Davo

I honestly think it's a mistake to start getting deep about a Fender Precision. In fact I think Fender themselves have often f**ked up by trying to get deep about a Precision.

It's a simple , industry standard tool that's been around forever. It has 2 knobs you'll never touch , a solid handful of a neck , not much to go wrong and a sound you're used to.

Go out and play a load - some will be heavier than others , some might sound slightly different to others ...put simply some will appeal to you more than others.

Buy the one that appeals , regardless of country of manufacture - used or new etc - then go out amongst the great unwashed and hammer it. Job done.

Oh - and chuck those silly ashtrays and thumb rest in the bin - they're neither use nor (to my eyes) ornament. It's always cheaper to customise your instrument by taking things off rather than putting them on !!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='631105' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:31 AM']....I honestly think it's a mistake to start getting deep about a Fender Precision. In fact I think Fender themselves have often f**ked up by trying to get deep about a Precision. It's a simple , industry standard tool that's been around forever. It has 2 knobs you'll never touch , a solid handful of a neck , not much to go wrong and a sound you're used to....[/quote]
+1.
Everyone should own a Fender at some time but there are 3 rules:
1. Play as many as you can, you'll find a good one eventually.
2. Don't buy a new one. That's just throwing money away.
3. Don't pay more than £500. If you're that rich get a Lakland!

IMO of course!!

I too was a Ric man for a long while.

However, I bought a Geddy Jazz last year, after many years of swearing I'd never have a Fender. The Ged blew me away, one of my faves and I gig it all the time.

Seeing as my Ric's never really gave me the tone, I started to GAS around, and suddenly fancied a P as well (all Rics now gone).

Looked at the various locations of production...and ended up with a MIM in Lake Placid Blue with a Maple fretboard.

Must say, it's a cracker. I'm not over-worried about where I take it, as it doesn't cost the earth, and just comes off the peg.

My 'P' inspirations were Steve Hanley, ex-of The Fall, and JJ Burnel. The tone I get from the P and my Markbass set-up is a nice cross between the two!

I too didn't know what to expect...after the horror stories....but for me it's a great, simple, use-able bass.

A good bass is what it is, regardless of age and place of manufacture. Go for it, I'm sure you'll love it, whatever you buy! :)

Does anyone else think there's quite a big difference between a maple and rosewood fretboards?

To me they feel, play and sound completely different.

My main bass a the moment is an MIM rewired with a 62 reissue pup and a mighty mite maple neck. It's got a 1uf oil/paper cap in it too. It does dull thud all the way to an almost brittle snap. Although to be honest I tend to roll the tone back about a 1/4 and hardly touch it :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='631134' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:09 AM']+1.
Everyone should own a Fender at some time but there are 3 rules:
1. Play as many as you can, you'll find a good one eventually.
2. Don't buy a new one. That's just throwing money away.
3. Don't pay more than £500. If you're that rich get a Lakland!

IMO of course!![/quote]

Would normally agree to rule 2, but I did buy a new MIM P bass this year, really wanted the colour and board choice and could not find it 2nd hand

I am however very happy with it still and believe it will never be sold, (unlike everything else I have owned over the years)

Having said that I am looking for another Jazz, and wont be buying another new one, just really wanted that Pbass spec.

[quote name='lojo' post='631490' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:33 PM']....Would normally agree to rule 2, but I did buy a new MIM P bass this year, really wanted the colour and board choice and could not find it 2nd hand....[/quote]
Did I miss out rule 4?
4. Rules are meant to be broken. This [i]is[/i] Rock n Roll after all!!

Having played one for 20yrs it's what I always come back to. My 2 cents:

1) I've only recently started to fully appreciate how much tone you can actually get from such a simple set up. But yes.

2) Not especially, just got a bit weighty in the late 70s on some models

3) I've seen them cheaper but that's fair

4) No not really but always try before you buy! Precision or not.

5) Yes & a gig bag with many of the others. I really rate the MIM Classics & I'm genuinely amazed they don't get raved about more on these pages.