Why become a member? ×

???

beerdragon

Well, I'm with the Dragon, I couldn't even get to two minutes. A very boring "piece" of music with a bunch of solos on it. It's like a jam night on steroids. I got no emotional reaction to it, it's just a video of experts being experts. My plasterer did an amazing job of our bathroom, I greatly admire his skill and attention to detail and the years of practice it took, but I didn't get a hard on watching him do it or anything.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='629754' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:51 PM']This does nothing for me. nothing at all. to me i wondered why they bothered covering the tune anyway. someone might as well have said lets do some noodling in G for eight minutes. i just dont get it.[/quote]
+1. It kind of... misses the point of the tune in a way. This is what it's all about:

Yes, even longer, but more... kind of... visceral. Mmmm. Nice.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='629746' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:42 PM']Thought i'd check out some Marcus Miller and came acroos this Youtube Vid. i guess i'm a heathen because i think it's awful. there are all excellant musicains. but a group of excellant musicans do not it seem, make great music. can anyone convince me otherwise?

[/quote]
Total toss. Like the Keyboard solo, a little daring unlike the rest of it.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='629773' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:11 PM']There's No Soul in it, thats what i mean i suppose, unlike this vid. totally different music of course. but there should be some soul in the music you make otherewise you are just going through the motions[/quote]

There is soul in it, it's just not apparent to you. I have no problem with people not liking it (I actually am not so keen myself) but Marcus is a great artist and has bag's of groove and soul. Horses for courses... move on!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='629773' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:11 PM']There's No Soul in it, thats what i mean i suppose, unlike this vid. totally different music of course. but there should be some soul in the music you make otherewise you are just going through the motions

[/quote]
Martin, how dare you post that, you will have all the car cleaning at weekends, tone circuit obsessing, which pup shall I use to get a Marcus tone readers in a state of flux.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='629746' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:42 PM']...can anyone convince me otherwise?[/quote]
Nope! If you don't like it fair enough. Would you really change your mind if someone explained why you should like it.

I don't like much of the thwakkita-thwakkita stuff Marcus is most well-known for. but I really enjoyed the clip - ta for posting it.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='629835' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:05 PM']Nope! If you don't like it fair enough. Would you really change your mind if someone explained why you should like it.

I don't like much of the thwakkita-thwakkita stuff Marcus is most well-known for. but I really enjoyed the clip - ta for posting it.[/quote]

No, your right. i dont like it and no amount of explaining going to change my mind. Much as i like the Edgar Winter version he does a bit to much noodling in it for my liking. :rolleyes: still i got it off my chest, :)

Personally, I like Marcus Miller's playing but I'm not a fan of this particular vid either as I think Edgar Winter does a better job with this song. Your original brief it seems was to check out Marcus Miller. There's plenty of other stuff of his that you may like.

I've met some players in the past that because they hate one track from whichever band, they tend to tar the whole discography with the same brush. Similar to those who say EVERYTHING by Miles Davis for example, MUST be great because it's by him. I'm sure if he were still alive he'd be the first to admit he'd played and recorded some sh*t in his lifetime.

Give Marcus Miller another chance and check out some other stuff like Bubinga5's vid posting about "Run for cover" Still may not be for you, then fair enough.

I thought that Nick Cave Video was wrist-slashingly dull.

When ever a video of someone like Marcus comes up,the argument against it is
always no soul,or emotion.

One word................ Bullsh@t!

Whenever someone plays,they will always portray some form of emotion. Music doesn't
have to be deep and meaningful.What's wrong with making people want to dance or just listen and enjoy?
It happened the other week with the vid of that Japanese fusion band. They were playing well and having fun
and that emotion is passed on to the audience.

That Marcus vid was grooving,the band were playing great as always and they were enjoying it. That emotion
is shared between the band and passed onto the audience.

Too many people (no-one in particular) have trouble seeing passed the chops,and think it's a substitute for
'soul'. But what's the point in having something to say and not having the vocabulary or technique to
say it?

I like Marcus, and enjoyed the Frankenstein vid. Not his best though, admittedly. Run For Cover is a belter.
I hate Nick Cave with a passion, and thought his vid was mind numbingly dull.
Doesn't make me right and you wrong, or indeed viceversa.
Newsflash! We all like different stuff! :):lol::rolleyes:

They all look a bit too pleased with themselves for my liking.

I have bits and bobs of Marcus on other folks albums and think he's a wonderful player but that sort of music sounds like it belongs in a lift car or something.

Not for me , my opinion because I was invited to give it - thankfully many will love it making neither party right or wrong.

this is my favourite Marcus clip, cut cruelly short though. someone says its with dave grusin. anyone know where the whole track/set might be???

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3zq4qBEZA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3zq4qBEZA...feature=related[/url]