Why become a member? ×

Played a brand new Fender 2009 P Bass tonight...

StevieD_FenderP2009

And it was shocking...

Absolutely awful bass. I love Fender Precision Basses but the new Fender AM P bass is terrible. The machine heads feel like theyre going to fall apart, the pickups are weak and the finish on the neck is awful.

I know alot of people will disagree with me but i was really dissapointed with this bass. As said, it was pretty much brand new, had been purchased only a month before and setup professionally a few nights ago. It wasn't mine thank god, it was a mates who's band I was teching for.

It's completely standard as he's made no modifications to it. Oh, and just to say, I also used a 1998 American Fender P Bass tonight (also his and also completely un-moddified) and it was a dream to play, again, pickups were a bit weak but the tuners felt like they would stay in tune and the finish on the neck was so much better.

I really wanted a 2009 model, but I shall definately be looking for a pre 2000 model... Preferabley in white with a black scratchplate... and maple fretboard...

And I think I may have just got a semi...

OOOPS! =P

But yeah, to round up, alot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is my opinion on them. Older Fender's are so much better than the new ones!

Peace out!
Stevie.D
x

I was thinking about buying one at the end of the year but I am actually debating where of not it will be any better than my E series MIJ Precisiion.

It has a slightly dodgy volume pot so I've just bought new CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, Fender US pickups and was going to fire that in with one of my new batch of paper-in-oil caps to try it out.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='628470' date='Oct 17 2009, 02:26 AM']And it was shocking...

Absolutely awful bass. I love Fender Precision Basses but the new Fender AM P bass is terrible. The machine heads feel like theyre going to fall apart, the pickups are weak and the finish on the neck is awful.

I know alot of people will disagree with me but i was really dissapointed with this bass. As said, it was pretty much brand new, had been purchased only a month before and setup professionally a few nights ago. It wasn't mine thank god, it was a mates who's band I was teching for.

It's completely standard as he's made no modifications to it. Oh, and just to say, I also used a 1998 American Fender P Bass tonight (also his and also completely un-moddified) and it was a dream to play, again, pickups were a bit weak but the tuners felt like they would stay in tune and the finish on the neck was so much better.

I really wanted a 2009 model, but I shall definately be looking for a pre 2000 model... Preferabley in white with a black scratchplate... and maple fretboard...

OOOPS! =P

But yeah, to round up, alot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is my opinion on them. Older Fender's are so much better than the new ones!

Peace out!
Stevie.D
x[/quote]

Hello!

I've never played a 2009 Fender, nor do I have plans to, but to help you justify your sweeping statement (which seems to fly in the face of everything I've heard)..

1) What's your usual bass?
2) Were the pickup 'weak', or was the output just lower than your current bass?
3) In what way did the tuners feel like they were going to fall apart? Were they loose? Did they feel flimsy?
4) In what way was the finish on the neck bad? Was it rippled?
5) Is there a chance you picked up a bad one?
6) Is there a chance the setup wasn't to your taste?

Peace out!
WoT.B
x

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='628470' date='Oct 17 2009, 02:26 AM']And it was shocking...

OOOPS! =P

Peace out!
Stevie.D
x[/quote]

Stevie

I've noticed over several posts that you really don't like the newer Fenders despite a lot of positive vibes. Interesting.

I hope yours is a good un too Al :)

Peter

As WoT says, a lot of it is down to personal preference, but yes they do vary hugely in quality. Some are excellent & there are still a few dogs that slip through the net.

Thankfully, most people seem to be finding the new American Standard range excellent. As always, pick one out for yourself and you'll be onto a winner.

My '08 Am.Std. Precision was actually a very nice one, but again, I was lucky enough to be able to pick from two very varying basses at the time.

Stevie,

It is very easy to come on here and quote as you have, however if this is the ONLY '09 Fender that you have picked up then it is a bit niaive of you to say they are all the same.......

A bit like driving somone elses newish car and then branding ALL models of that make crap.....

IIWY I'd play at least 5 or 6 before you make a statement like that, because as a fairly regular contirbutor here you should have picked up that Fender QC is, has and probably always will be at best average, and at worst negligent.

I soooo often see this on a bike forum that I'm on, " my XXXX has broken down so they are all sh!te " unwittingly it instantly brands the poster.......... It also does not take into account the 1000s of happy owners that are riding around with big stupid grins on thier chops (of which I happen to be one).

See a bit of a link here?

I did have to send back an 09 Jazz with a rubbish neck pocket but have - to my shame - owned three 08/9 Jazzes and four 08/9 Precisions (I currently have one of each). None was sold beacuse it was a poor bass, only because of pathetic BC-induced GAS or me being picky over something stupid like my latest colour preference.

What I will say is all had excellent, very stable tuners (WAY better than the ones on the two CIJ Precisions I have owned), beautifully finished bodies and necks, and I had no quibble with the pickups (they were how I expected them to sound - I have added an Audere to the Jazz but thats just to broaden the range of tones not because I found the stock setup "weak").

I honestly think you've just been unlucky enough to pick up a duffer

Not sure how many more threads attesting to the appalling QC on MIA Fenders we need :)

We know how it is with Fender, mostly mediocre, some appalling, and some gems, the proportions of each category varying with era. My 2009 was a gem, as are some others, so perhaps this particular era is associated with more gems than apppalling, but there will still be enough of the latter to provide legitimate cause for concern, especially of you're buying without playing first

C

[quote name='deaver' post='628532' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:48 AM']The one I got off Clarky is brilliant. And that's that.[/quote]

[quote name='Clarky' post='628553' date='Oct 17 2009, 10:29 AM']....to my shame - owned three 08/9 Jazzes and four 08/9 Precisions[/quote]

The odds for getting a bad one are of course shortened by the fact that Clarky's bought most of the good ones :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='628513' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:25 AM']Hello!

I've never played a 2009 Fender, nor do I have plans to, but to help you justify your sweeping statement (which seems to fly in the face of everything I've heard)..

1) What's your usual bass?
2) Were the pickup 'weak', or was the output just lower than your current bass?
3) In what way did the tuners feel like they were going to fall apart? Were they loose? Did they feel flimsy?
4) In what way was the finish on the neck bad? Was it rippled?
5) Is there a chance you picked up a bad one?
6) Is there a chance the setup wasn't to your taste?

Peace out!
WoT.B
x[/quote]

1. I had an early 90's MIJ P bass for about 2 years and it was an amazing bass. It was un-moddified as well as i hadnt got the money to do anything to it plus I didn't want to midify it anyways, But now the 2 basses I have are a Tobias Toby Pro 4 and a heavily moddified Fender P, but I wasn't comparing any of those 2 basses to the one I played, I compared it to the 98 model I also played last night which i mentioned in the first post

2. Pickup sounded weak, didn't pack the usual P bass punch

3. Tuners felt very flimsy and quite loose (and i dont know if they were Hipshot Ultralites or not, but they were the small ones with the lip over the back and the "F" stamped on)

4. The finish wasn't to my liking as it seemed to be to, like, dry if you get what i mean?

5. It might be a bad one, I wasn't putting all Fender 2009 P basses into the same category, some might be better, its just this one has put me off buying one.

6. the setup was really good on it, i couldnt complain about the setup. nice low action on it.

As i said, it was my opinion on them, and alot of people will probably disagree, as they have already haha.

Also, some said about the 57 P Reissues, I played one today in Coda Music shop in Luton and it was a much nicer sounding/feeling bass. Completely different kettle of fish compared to the 2009 Standard american P.

I'm not saying to anyone, Don't buy the new P bass as i think they're crap, I was just giving my opinion on the one I played as alot of people seem to do that on here, and in reply to Clarky, as i mentioned, It wasn't my bass, it was a mate who's band I tech for who owned both the 2009 and 1998 basses.

Oh, someone said I need to consider changing my user name, found that quite funny =P

I think subjective opinions are always interesting. Research shows that human decisions are almost always based on instinct, gut feeling and prejudices and we then gather evidence that tends to confirm our original decision and filter out evidence that doesn't. I'm not saying it's bad but that we all tend to do it unless we consciously stop ourselves.

If Fender pickups are weak I think I got some double strength ones in my passive P :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='628722' date='Oct 17 2009, 01:54 PM']Hmmm... I must have read too much into this, then...[/quote]

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='628470' date='Oct 17 2009, 02:26 AM']Older Fender's are so much better than the new ones![/quote]

Yeah, you did, cos you didn't read the FULL quote, what i actually said was

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='628470' date='Oct 17 2009, 02:26 AM']But yeah, to round up, alot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is my opinion on them, Older Fender's are so much better than the new ones![/quote]

It is my OPINION, not the gospel word on it. Take note of the "this is my opinion on them"