Why become a member? ×

Bassist not interested?!

The_D

rant on/

Our singer told me last night that some organiser who is booking bands for a pub in some dirtbox town turned us down because I didnt look interested?!

She obviously picked up on the fact that I was pissed off the night she saw us because our guitarist was pissing about more than usual between songs but mistook it for me not giving a sh*t?!

It was a saturday night in a skanky wee pub out in the sticks, if I didnt want to be there I could have stayed in my house. Even if she was right, why would that stop someone booking our band?

I'm just ranting but I am genuinely confused by this comment and am now going to be paranoid about it in future. Stupid weegie cow!

Rant off/

When you do a gig you are there to entertain, If you or any member of the band has a face like a slapped arse for what ever reason it looks bad on the band unless it's part of the image.

"e obviously picked up on the fact that I was pissed off the night she saw us because our guitarist was pissing about more than usual between songs but mistook it for me not giving a sh*t?"

To a lot of punturs is the bigist turn off is a face like a slapped arse but the guitarist was pissing about between songs whold piss me of too

[quote name='OldGit' post='623297' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:26 PM']Sounds like he doesn't want to tackle the errant guitarist ... - the likely true reason for not getting booked ..[/quote]

We had a word with the guitarist after a couple of gigs when his jabbering and fannying about was getting too much. He doesnt like to be criticised but took it on board and is now fine. They werent having a go at me last night, I think they just wanted me to know.

I'm usually joking around and stuff and if she had been in earlier then it probably would have been different as I was having a laugh with a bunch of guys on a stag doo while getting bored waiting. They all left just after this booking agent came in.

My problem is that I aint exactly the greatest bass player and I kinda have to concentrate on a lot of songs. If I try and smile and stuff while concentrating too hard I tend to look kinda ill.

Most bass players aren't interested in Guitarists who fanny about :)

I wouldn't pay it any thought. A bit of rubbish feedback I had from a rubbish soundman back in 1996 - "the feedback was caused by the bass player jumping around too much". Er, right you are!

Make no apologies and enjoy it!

I wouldn't worry about it at all...IME, people tend to single out one band member as a scapegoat because they don't have the guts to say the real reason for what they decide.

Sounds to me like she's the one with things to worry about, rather than you.

[quote name='Golchen' post='623878' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:24 PM']I actually think that a slapped arse can look pretty good on the right girl ....[/quote]
:) :rolleyes:

[quote name='The_D' post='623171' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:34 PM']Our singer told me last night that some organiser who is booking bands for a pub in some dirtbox town turned us down because I didnt look interested?![/quote]

Sounds like a wild, feeble excuse to avoid booking your band. Don't dwell on it.

If you're [i]really[/i] bothered, practice waving and smiling between songs. And wear a 'zany' Timmy Mallet hat.

I wouldn't worry about one persons feedback too much, when it becomes consistant that's when you should take notice.

A few years ago when I was doing a few Center Parc's gigs, one of the managers of the venue we were playing came in to watch us sound check, but couldn't be seen anywhere at the, as per normal, high quality show an hour later. Next morning we had the agent on the phone saying that the manager had complained because we weren't dressed properly and kept stopping in the middle of songs.
Retard! lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='623968' date='Oct 12 2009, 01:53 PM']A few years ago when I was doing a few Center Parc's gigs, one of the managers of the venue we were playing came in to watch us sound check, but couldn't be seen anywhere at the, as per normal, high quality show an hour later. Next morning we had the agent on the phone saying that the manager had complained because we weren't dressed properly and kept stopping in the middle of songs.
Retard! lol[/quote]

:) that's great.

But yeah, I wouldn't dwell on one person's opinion. It sounds like a really sh*t reason to give as the primary reason for not booking a band though.

I had a conversation about this a while ago with the secretary of one of the WMC we regularly play at. He is firmly of the opinion that if the band looks as if they are enjoying what they are doing, they will bring the audience with them. In his view the order is the right songs, presentation, looking as if you are enjoying it, and musical ability within reason a long way last.

Certainly I have seen less talented bands go down better some great bands, when they show some enthusiasm and look as if they want to please.

I always think status quo are really good showmen, their music APPEARS simple, but they always look as if they are giving it 110% and the audience responds.

Obviously it depends on the band and who you are. My comments relate to places like WMC where you are playing to the average non musical punter who wants to have a dance.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='623887' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:37 PM']Sounds like a wild, feeble excuse to avoid booking your band. Don't dwell on it.

If you're [i]really[/i] bothered, practice waving and smiling between songs. [b]And wear a 'zany' Timmy Mallet hat.[/b][/quote]

Now there's an idea for my hat conundrum

[quote name='bumnote' post='624010' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:26 PM']I had a conversation about this a while ago with the secretary of one of the WMC we regularly play at. He is firmly of the opinion that if the band looks as if they are enjoying what they are doing, they will bring the audience with them. In his view the order is the right songs, presentation, looking as if you are enjoying it, and musical ability within reason a long way last.

Certainly I have seen less talented bands go down better some great bands, when they show some enthusiasm and look as if they want to please.

I always think status quo are really good showmen, their music APPEARS simple, but they always look as if they are giving it 110% and the audience responds.

Obviously it depends on the band and who you are. My comments relate to places like WMC where you are playing to the average non musical punter who wants to have a dance.[/quote]

Definitely! The most brilliant musicians in the world playing teh best set list going in lovely clothes but looking like they would rather be at home watching Strictly will kill audience enthusiasm stone dead.

[quote name='The_D' post='623471' date='Oct 11 2009, 09:10 PM']My problem is that I aint exactly the greatest bass player and I kinda have to concentrate on a lot of songs. If I try and smile and stuff while concentrating too hard I tend to look kinda ill.[/quote]

Sunglasses, hat, good shoes and a f***ing great jacket. Make it look easy when it's bloody complicated and make it look f***ing intense when it's actually totally straightforward.

[quote name='The Funk' post='624656' date='Oct 13 2009, 01:56 AM']Sunglasses, hat, good shoes and a f***ing great jacket. Make it look easy when it's bloody complicated and make it look f***ing intense when it's actually totally straightforward.[/quote]

Top Tips!

[quote name='ironside1966' post='623291' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:23 PM']When you do a gig you are there to entertain, If you or any member of the band has a face like a slapped arse for what ever reason it looks bad on the band unless it's part of the image.[/quote]

Ironside speaks the truth - many audiences need the band's "permission" to enjoy themself, and signs of obvious negativity such as blatant boredom will deny them this opportunity. Why should they enjoy themself if the band are not? If even the band look bored, clearly there is nothing to be getting excited about.

However, I do not think that musicians concentrating on what they are doing counts in this regard. There is a difference. I think insisting that musicians grin like a bunch of synchronised swimmers is a step too far.

Jennifer

[quote name='bumnote' post='624010' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:26 PM']I had a conversation about this a while ago with the secretary of one of the WMC we regularly play at. He is firmly of the opinion that if the band looks as if they are enjoying what they are doing, they will bring the audience with them. In his view the order is the right songs, presentation, looking as if you are enjoying it, and musical ability within reason a long way last.

Obviously it depends on the band and who you are. My comments relate to places like WMC where you are playing to the average non musical punter who wants to have a dance.[/quote]

+1 but goes for all venues IMO