Why become a member? ×

Getin/Getout

witterth

I was just thinking while reading something else,that a good and potentially useful thread for workies/function band players may be,
whats the "get in" like at clubs and other venues?
for instance loads of north east clubs have 3 flights of stairs and no service lift or rickety fire escapes and the like, where as others have back doors leading directly to the stage! who knew?!?
it makes a BIG diffence to your day, and what time you see the chiropractor on monday morning!
I'll start,
tetley walkers in warrington: 3 flights of metal fire escape, bugger.
goose green Labour club in wigan EZy!! side door, no stairs, no carry.
Swan inn/stockwell side door dead easy,next to stage!
please submit/subscribe gentlemen lets start, the name and shame/pat onthe back list!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='mxm' post='622924' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:29 AM']Star & Garter, Manchester - external (almost spiral) staircase - did it once with a Hammond and Leslie, not funny !!!![/quote]
Yep, done that with a Trace elliot 2x18 and marshall stack in tow, so I know what you mean!!
Bugger!
have'nt leslie cabs got concete bases to stop them going walkabout btw? Jeezze!!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='622968' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:29 AM']Eston Labour Club, Teeside.

Stockton Buffs.

Both designed for bands that carry a teleport machine.

Knock 'em down.[/quote]
Don't forget Cargo Fleet external metal fire escape.. What a joy it is to play clubland!

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='623012' date='Oct 11 2009, 12:27 PM']Hog's Back Hotel Farnham, last night.

15 narrow stone steps...BUPA membership recommended![/quote]
oh come on only 15 steps :)
I was thinking of "Owton Manor"in the NE ,
if I remember correctly,now, that WAS a carry...
why dont we charge more for sh#t carries?
cos NO-ONE cares thats why!! :rolleyes:
more crap ones please.......
prehaps a message alert type of thing would help, I mean it,though, a long carry is important isnt it?

Edited by witterth

Stevenage Workingmens Club.

Long corridor from the car park at the back to the stage with three sets of doors along the way. Beside each set of doors is a notice stating ANYONE FOUND PROPPING THESE DOORS OPEN WILL BE REPORTED TO THE COMMITTEE.

I love playing WMCs :)

Queensferry Lodge - other side of the Forth Road bridge from Edinburgh - we either refuse to play there or charge a premium.

You have a choice of going through the hotel via 2 lifts with a carry in between and a long walk to the function room or you can go round the back of the building and up the fire escape, again another long carry for that way as well.

[quote name='spike' post='623157' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:14 PM']Stevenage Workingmens Club.

Long corridor from the car park at the back to the stage with three sets of doors along the way. Beside each set of doors is a notice stating ANYONE FOUND PROPPING THESE DOORS OPEN WILL BE REPORTED TO THE COMMITTEE.

I love playing WMCs :)[/quote]
innit though?
where do they get these "rules" from? are they designed so punters dont get cold after their 20th bottle of dog?
fu'@k 'em
report, me see what happens!!!
more nightmares please.....
edited cos of spelling!!

Edited by witterth

De Grey Rooms in York, 3 flights of spiraling staircase. Not fun at all. If I rememeber correctly though the money was quite good.

Cinnamon Club Manchester, dead easy. Straight through the double doors at the front and down to the stage plus the liklihood is you won't have to bring a PA. If you're playing upstairs though it might be a bit of a pain as the stairs looked pretty narrow last time I was there.

Chester Race course is pretty easy too. There's probably about 3 different venues you could play there but 2 of them are straigh in the front door no steps and the other has a lift.

Nunsmere Hotel Cheshire, really easy just straight in the front down the corridor and turn left into the restaurant.

There's probably a load of really nasty ones that I've done but I can't remember them right now.

[quote name='spike' post='623157' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:14 PM']Stevenage Workingmens Club.

I love playing WMCs :)[/quote]

We play there as well. There always seems to be a party going on in the back room by the back door so get out can be a pain as there are normally lots of drunks hanging around.

Hayes Social club. Back entrance from car park, three or 4 steps up to the Stage. Brazza club in March. load in straight on to the stage. Both are good as you avoid the punters. Both are bad because they are Social clubs ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='623816' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:37 AM']Hayes Social club. Back entrance from car park, three or 4 steps up to the Stage. Brazza club in March. load in straight on to the stage. Both are good as you avoid the punters. Both are bad because they are Social clubs ;-)[/quote]

Played both those places! I think someone got badly beaten up/mugged outside the Hayes club one night we played there. The Braza punters are there only for the purposes of Bingo!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='624202' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:46 PM']Played both those places! I think someone got badly beaten up/mugged outside the Hayes club one night we played there. The Braza punters are there only for the purposes of Bingo![/quote]

I thought the Braza punters were just put in place as part of the sound proofing lol. A bit like egg boxes.
I must admit i was very surprised that Hayes have spent so much money doing the place up. I mean, a Line array PA with 4 monitors just to play to 20 old folks is a bit over kill.

Two place si never want to play again are Tower bridge and Aston Villa football ground.
To get in to Tower bridge you have to park on the south side of the bridge and walk the gear back across the bridge to the entrance to one of the towers. Then phone someone to bring the lift down. Bloody nightmare.

Aston Villa is a real nightmare. Park out front but have around 2 x 10 steps to get the gear up from the car park. Through the reception and up in the guest lifts. Very small so took us 4 goes. Then we have to get the gear almost the full length of the pitch as the club room is at the opposite end of the grounds. End of the night do it all in reverse but also with guests leaving the same way. Never gagain.

Edited by dave_bass5

Kingstanding Warriors Royal British Legion, Birmingham

Load in through side doors next to stage. They don't push you straight out either.

The Pickle, Acocks Green, Birmingham

Load in through side doors which would be a little awkward if you were carrying anything big, but it's so small in there that you wouldn't be.

Bromford Social Club, Erdington, Birmingham

Another side doors to stage one.

Shard End Social Club, Birmingham

Upstairs. One flight of stairs that doubles back. Not far from the front door to the stairs though, and they're wide (double width) stairs.

Cotteridge Social Club, Birmingham

More stairs, single width, be there early so you've got a place on the pocket handkerchief car park.

Rednal Social Club, Birmingham

Car park is at the bottom of a steep hill to the club. You can either reverse up the hill or carry the gear up. I carry the gear, the guitarist burnt his clutch out reversing up.

New Oscott Social Club, Birmingham

Upstairs but there's a goods lift which will fit things as big as bass cases in.

Marston Green Social Club, Birmingham

Door to the dressing room at the side of the stage.

E57 Social Club, Birmingham

For the lounge (all I've done there), side door to the room which is ten yards from the stage.

Banbury Club, Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham

No stairs, not too far to walk.

Heartlands Club, Nechells, Birmingham

No stairs and the doors are close to the stage but they're also where the natives cluster to smoke and converse in the exotic local accent.