Why become a member? ×

Have you Ever heard your song played somewhere?

Dread Bass

Don't know if we've ever had this thread before and a search didn't really show anything up. The other day my band and i were out in Notts at a club night at the pub Seven and the DJ played one of our new songs. It was very weird but also felt like a great achievement. Have you experienced this? if so where? and how was it?

In the early nineties I composed the music for a series of one-minute films commissioned by MTV - for a few months they showed them all the time, randomly between the other programs. I never had MTV myself, but I had a mate with cable TV, and I remember the thrill of seeing them appear unexpectedly. Magic. Also the only time I've ever made any serious money out of my music. :)

My very first band - The Midnight Circus - first ever release on vinyl was played on John Peel's Radio One show in 1980. He announced that he would be playing us in the list of bands at the start of his show. I spent the next two hours with my fingers poised over the record button of the cassette recorder waiting for our moment of fame. Needless to say ours was the penultimate track of the evening.

Have heard the odd thing on the radio over the years, but the biggest buzz I can remember was when our band had album of the week on a German national radio station. We were on tour over there at the time so hearing one of our songs every hour while cruising the autobahn was pretty exciting.

[quote name='Moonstomper' post='605421' date='Sep 22 2009, 11:44 AM']We have one of ours played at the Galpharm stadium every time Huddersfield Town win, as a Halifax fan you can imagine my prediacament :)[/quote]

Up the Terriers!

What's the song now? I'm a season ticket holder but for the life of me can't remember it!

I have heard stuff I've played on being played at some clubs over the years, one band was on Radio one but we had no idea til people started e-mailing us and we listened to it online, and some solo stuff I did was used for a theme/intro tune for an irish culture radio show.

I've recorded a couple of solo-cd's but I never release them so there's not much exposure.
A friend of mine works for television and he had to edit a tv-show around cancer and the various initiatives which were taken by different people all across the country trying to raise money for the good cause.
Each group was given around 15 seconds of television for their actions and how much they had earned and this went on during hours and hours on one of the biggest tv-stations in our country. Between every 15 seconds there was a tiny bass sample of five seconds which was taken from my cd. It felt great and I watched the program longer than I wanted to..:-)

I (dimly) remember some surprise airplay on pirate radio (KLM? KLF? KFC?) in Manchester during the early Eighties - I can remember how different we sounded through a car radio. Around the same time the guitarists next door neighbour said he'd heard us on Janice Long but, alas, this was never confirmed.

Once appeared on Granada Reports, which some Mancunian old-timers on here may remember (the programme, not me)

[quote name='deaver' post='606093' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:00 PM']I (dimly) remember some surprise airplay on pirate radio (KLM? KLF? KFC?) in Manchester during the early Eighties - I can remember how different we sounded through a car radio. Around the same time the guitarists next door neighbour said he'd heard us on Janice Long but, alas, this was never confirmed.

Once appeared on Granada Reports, which some Mancunian old-timers on here may remember (the programme, not me)[/quote]
Name them. Mr Burgess.