Why become a member? ×

Darryl Jones no longer on Laklands website

dave_bass5

The link from DJ's website to the Lakland DJ just takes you to the product front page despite it being more webpage specific. Has he been using A basses long?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='595581' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:23 PM']He's gone to BC Rich - They'll have his signature version of the beast out soon.[/quote]

Ah posted whilst I was typing, good knowledge

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='595582' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:24 PM']I wonder if i have a collectable DJ5 now ;-)[/quote]

Will this change your plan to put the P p/up I wonder?

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='595586' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:27 PM']Will this change your plan to put the P p/up I wonder?[/quote]

I had thought about maybe not tampering with it but no, the point of having the bass is to play it so ill do whatever i need to.
The NP5 will be here next week as planned but i dont know when ill have time to get it fitted so it might be a while yet.
lets see what happens.

[quote name='BassAgent' post='595639' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:18 PM']...it's their most popular model. Maybe they'll keep building it with another name on it.[/quote]

Like Music Man and the EVH sig, now the Axis. If Lakland do this it'll free them up to do things with the model like putting a P p/up in it for instance. Conversely they could just rerelease with a small change as the "Adam Clayton" sig?????

Edit Stuart Clayton/Adam Clayton, whoops!

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='595649' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:27 PM']Like Music Man and the EVH sig, now the Axis. If Lakland do this it'll free them up to do things with the model like putting a P p/up in it for instance. Conversely they could just rerelease with a small change as the "Stuart Clayton" sig?????[/quote]

Once i get the P put in mine they could give it my name ;-)

[quote name='Doddy' post='595629' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:05 PM']Darryl was playing A Basses long before Lakland. In fact,the Lakland DJ bass was designed
by Albey Balgochian who makes A Basses.[/quote]
I think A Basses did a deal with Lakland to transfer him - if you read the A Bass website it talks about finding a manufacturer that could deal with higher production volumes for a DJ bass than A could

[quote name='bassatnight' post='595672' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:43 PM']This seem strange as I contacted Lakland recently about purchasing a finish other than the Blue and they responded with other new finishes will be available soon?[/quote]

I dont think anyone is saying you cant get them any more, just that Lakland aren't advertising them at the moment.
looks like they cant use the Darryl Jones name so they will have to come up with another name.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='595678' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:49 PM']I dont think anyone is saying you cant get them any more, just that Lakland aren't advertising them at the moment.
looks like they cant use the Darryl Jones name so they will have to come up with another name.[/quote]

Dave I to have a DJ but irs a 4 that I am going to add a P-pup to. DId you research the pick-ups? as to what would be best to use with the aero? I was going to go with the aero pick-up but still undecided.... do they not need to be a matched set? Not very well up in this sort of thing

Also you just gonna rout under the scratchplate and order a blank plate and cut it to suit?

Sorry for being so nosey lol

DAve

[quote name='markbass555' post='595696' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:10 PM']Dave I to have a DJ but irs a 4 that I am going to add a P-pup to. DId you research the pick-ups? as to what would be best to use with the aero? I was going to go with the aero pick-up but still undecided.... do they not need to be a matched set? Not very well up in this sort of thing

Also you just gonna rout under the scratchplate and order a blank plate and cut it to suit?

Sorry for being so nosey lol

DAve[/quote]

Well after asking a few people i ended up ordering a Nordstrand NP5 from the USA. I dont know exactly how its going to sound but by all accounts they are very highly thought of, even Sadowsky use them.
My pup's are Laklands by the way. Im not bothered if the NP5 matches the bridge pup as i dont really plan on using it much. Not really used a PJ before but im really just after getting a P tone. If adding in the bridge pup makes a nice sound then i guess ill use it but it wasnt really a factor.
The NP5 should be here mid next week and then i just have to find the time to take the DJ5 in to the Gallery to get it fitted. They have said about a week so i need to time it just right.

I'll keep the original scratch plate on while i get the work done as it will need cutting out. Then i plan on sending it to Martin Sims at simscustom to get a black one made. looking at about £45 for that so i might hold off for a while.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='595672' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:43 PM']This seem strange as I contacted Lakland recently about purchasing a finish other than the Blue and they responded with other new finishes will be available soon?[/quote]

id love to see a Gold one!

wonder what Finishes theyre thinkin of?

[quote name='ezbass' post='595649' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:27 PM']Like Music Man and the EVH sig, now the Axis. If Lakland do this it'll free them up to do things with the model like putting a P p/up in it for instance. Conversely they could just rerelease with a small change as the "Adam Clayton" sig?????[/quote]

The Fleabass ----> Funk Unlimited is another example.

Daryll jones has shifted to Elrick Basses:-

[url="http://www.abasses.com/jadebass.html"]http://www.abasses.com/jadebass.html[/url]
[url="http://www.abasses.com/djbw.html"]http://www.abasses.com/djbw.html[/url]

Edited by Hutton