Why become a member? ×

4 string fans!!!

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='590538' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:09 PM']nobody said they did i think you're just developing a bit of an inferiority complex here. To be honest i hear a lot about this idea that playing a bass with more than 4 strings somehow makes you less of a player, it goes back to this idea that the only reason people develop improvements to instruments is because they can't play them properly, which is bulls***.

You ought to go find out what playing a 5 string bass actually means before posting crap like this.[/quote]

I think I may have just had an insight into why nobody wants you in their band....... :)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='590627' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:49 PM']I was at an open mike night last week & a bloke arrived witha a Yamaha bass case.

Came his turn to go up & jam the bass for a couple of people - pulls out a Yammy 6 string - neck like an ironing board. 'Blimey - this is going to be good!!!' thought I!

Well. I don't want to do the bloke down, but he really was a disappointment. The two artists did a 12 bar variant & [u][b]BassPlayer was totally lost[/b][/u]. Same in next number which was a proper 12 bar.[/quote]
That can happen with four strings too.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='590655' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:14 PM']I have av 2 string bass and it's awesome, just E and A with the A being where the D usually would be you can pick it SO hard.[/quote]

All joking aside, Wayne, but had you considered getting a 5-string bass (or retrieving Wesley maybe) and turning it into a 3-string. Put the E where the B should be, the A can be left alone, and the D goes up to the G position.

Then you'd have a bass where you could pick SO hard on all three strings, and be able to do at least simple arpegio-type riffs in I / IV / V songs.

Just saying ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='590661' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:20 PM']All joking aside, Wayne, but had you considered getting a 5-string bass (or retrieving Wesley maybe) and turning it into a 3-string. Put the E where the B should be, the A can be left alone, and the D goes up to the G position.

Then you'd have a bass where you could pick SO hard on all three strings, and be able to do at least simple arpegio-type riffs in I / IV / V songs.

Just saying ...[/quote]
Or Wayne could get a six string and .. well, I'll let you figure it out.

playing a 5 string is really a 4 string with some additional low notes
you can get low E on a 4 or fret it on a 5
then go down to open B on the 5

i had the 5 purely for fretted E and down to D
it cost me around 25% more for strings each time and the B wasnt wornt out ..:)

now i just think i ought to get better on the 4 and dream of my departed stingray

I often will play a lower note on the B string along with it's octave, especially on longer sustained notes, ballads, power ballads, etc.
Helps compete with keyboard players too! :)
Ditto for the 6-string and I also like the extra vertical movement option this allows. And of course the tonal range.
Plus chords on the 6-string sound great.
Main thing is, surely it's one man's meat... Bread 'n' butter, even! :lol:
So go with what ever you're most comfortable with and accept that -- thankfully -- we're not all the same.
This week I will mostly be playing my Stingray 5 and Jazz basses. :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590636' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:00 PM']Well, even I couldn't count the number of toms he had, he was a proper drummer after all.[/quote]

On the drum forum you wouldn't believe the number of people who think they're the second coming (of buddy rich) because they play on some tiny little kit with 2 drums and a hihat and that this somehow "forces their creativity". It's the same attitude that people just think they're superior because of what sort of thing they play rather than their actual skills on music.

[quote name='johnzgerman' post='590581' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:58 PM']i dont understand, how does the number of strings relate to how good or bad a player is? thats like saying people who drive reliant robins are better drivers than people who drive mondeos. in my experience they are just as sh*t as each other.[/quote]

As a Mk2 Mondeo driver I would ask you to retract your fallacious statement young man........ :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='590706' date='Sep 5 2009, 03:07 PM']On the drum forum you wouldn't believe the number of people who think they're the second coming (of buddy rich) because they play on some tiny little kit with 2 drums and a hihat and that this somehow "forces their creativity". It's the same attitude that people just think they're superior because of what sort of thing they play rather than their actual skills on music.[/quote]
If you read that back to yourself, you may find its own innate contradiction contained within.

[quote]4 string fans!!!, playing 5 strings doesn't make u a better player.[/quote]

Being obsessed with seemingly only Flea and frighteningly singled minded, somehow that makes you better than a good percentage of bassists who play 5 strings as part of their successful career?

Honestly, going from your About Me section on your profile I thought you'd be at least a bit open minded enough to appreciate why 5 string players play 5's in the first place. You have started a good few threads quite lately that have revealed to the forum that you really have a long way to go before you appreciate the bass itself, regardless of who is playing it or how high they're wearing their bass.

You either leave this kind of attitude behind now or let it hinder your learning and playing on the whole.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='590973' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:28 PM']Being obsessed with seemingly only Flea and frighteningly singled minded, somehow that makes you better than a good percentage of bassists who play 5 strings as part of their successful career?

Honestly, going from your About Me section on your profile I thought you'd be at least a bit open minded enough to appreciate why 5 string players play 5's in the first place. You either leave this kind of attitude behind now or let it hinder your learning and playing on the whole.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Josh' post='590973' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:28 PM']Being obsessed with seemingly only Flea and frighteningly singled minded, somehow that makes you better than a good percentage of bassists who play 5 strings as part of their successful career?

Honestly, going from your About Me section on your profile I thought you'd be at least a bit open minded enough to appreciate why 5 string players play 5's in the first place. You either leave this kind of attitude behind now or let it hinder your learning and playing on the whole.[/quote]
Besides which a careful use of the search function would have revealed [s]god[/s] Jamerson knows how many threads about this rubbish already and the OP could just have added his tuppence there.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Prosebass' post='590854' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:23 PM']As a Mk2 Mondeo driver I would ask you to retract your fallacious statement young man........ :)[/quote]

i think the mark 2s might have been an ecxeption from the rule, it depends how much gaffa tape is on the bumpers:)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590594' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:09 PM']Hmmm... I tend to have a a rather dusty area that begins around the seventh fret.

And next to the first five frets I have written the word 'money'.[/quote]

Ha!

"There's no money past the fifth fret".

:)