Why become a member? ×

4 string fans!!!

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='RichB' post='590879' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:38 PM']If you read that back to yourself, you may find its own innate contradiction contained within.[/quote]

yes i am aware of that slight contradiction but i was on about the drummer rather than the drums, after all that is the most important thing which is what i was trying to say.

[quote name='lowdown' post='591222' date='Sep 6 2009, 09:50 AM']Or in the wrong hands..They're all bad.[/quote]
That too.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='591257' date='Sep 6 2009, 11:00 AM']yes i am aware of that slight contradiction but i was on about the drummer rather than the drums, after all that is the most important thing which is what i was trying to say.[/quote]
I get your point entirely. It [i]is[/i] important.

Edited by skankdelvar

When I was playing in bands in the 80's and 90's my 5 sting Thumb was a perfect beast for the job, particularly for the more proggy stuff I used to play, the B lets you work under the layers of guitars that wold inevitably appear as if by magic....

Now I'm just noodling around for my own pleasure I've gone back to 4 strings, and bought a fretless again, I have no need for the 5th (or 6th or 7th....) string, and I get to play a Geddy Lee Jazz with that perfect neck.

The point has been made, you choose the tools for the job in hand, and no amount of expensive kit will make you a better player than you actually are.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='590661' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:20 PM']All joking aside, Wayne, but had you considered getting a 5-string bass (or retrieving Wesley maybe) and turning it into a 3-string. Put the E where the B should be, the A can be left alone, and the D goes up to the G position.

Then you'd have a bass where you could pick SO hard on all three strings, and be able to do at least simple arpegio-type riffs in I / IV / V songs.

Just saying ...[/quote]

I have done this to a Hohner B2a 5string. I'm using E,A & D on alternate saddles at the bridge. Only problem was, with the strings in every other nut slot it seemed odd. So I put them in the 3 centre slots. God knows I had trouble getting the intonation right, but the end result is hilarious. It's actually really good fun to play- plectrum, fingers, slap, whatever. And it has the guitarists running for cover.
Theoretically nothing there that you couldn't play on a 4, but no G to reach over for big fat chords, plus you can really lay into it with utterly naff technique and get away with it.

Kind of like the bass equivalent of Banger Racing!