Why become a member? ×

Best preamp Pedal??? Your experiences...

bubinga5

I did search this..but im thinking of getting a external pre amp to run the Fender Jazz through for a four string active option.

I have no experience of these..are they very good..will it totally change the tone of the Jazz?

What are the best...i had an Aguilar OBP2 in my recently sold Ostinato and it sounded awsome..but of course it had EMG's

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='588120' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:44 PM']Having used an MXR M-80 D.I. for my passive P and Maruszczck Jazz to give that all important mid control and the switchable boost and distortion I'd strongly recommend it. The Tone Hammer was the other possibility.[/quote]

+1

Tonehammer is great. I tested one for ten mins at Bass Merchant and I loved it. Made a nice difference to a passive bass, and the overdrive was really useful and gritty! Really good solid pedal with lots of features.

Its now on my GAS list...

Edited by Musicman20

I'd like to add that my MXR is probably surplus to requirement (Boss ME 20B too?) since buying the TC Electronics Rebelhead with the pedal and 3 memory positions. The tube simulation on the Rebelhead works well.

The Rebelhead has a separate headphone amp and an MP3 input, which is precisely what I was using the Boss for.

For a jazz I'd suggest the Sadowsky (old or new style) or the Aguilar DB924 (OPB1 in a box). Both very similar, but add a great active boom/sheen to a passive fender, without carving holes for batteries and extra pots. I guess the tone hammer is the same, but I haven't heard one yet.

I grabbed a Behringer DI and it's really given a boost to my bass sound.

It's like a steroid switch, just beefs everything up a little and I'm just using the suggested settings. I was playing bass with a friend of mine after I got it and he just laughed as the bass just sounded so good.

Best £30 I've spent in a long while.

[quote name='7string' post='588179' date='Sep 2 2009, 11:48 PM']I grabbed a Behringer DI and it's really given a boost to my bass sound.

It's like a steroid switch, just beefs everything up a little and I'm just using the suggested settings. I was playing bass with a friend of mine after I got it and he just laughed as the bass just sounded so good.

Best £30 I've spent in a long while.[/quote]

+1, Good bang/buck ratio for the £, but plastic casing is pretty rubbish.

I used to own a Hartke VXL Bass Attack that I really liked, especially for its added simulated tube grit, even though it sounded a bit cold. I replaced it with an EBS MicroBass II and love it, although I tend to think of it more as an integrated preamp and DI to plug straight into a mixer or PA than a preamp pedal to put in front of an amp. It works really well though.

I have made that claim!

:lol:

I believe it, at least to an extent.

I have found that boosting the mids helps with my particular tone and that passive basses have a deficiency of tweakability in this area. I could just use the amp of course but the pedal gives the option to switch it in and out (as does the Rebelhead).

I also like the ability to add a little gentle crunch/distortion for some songs.

Again, sounding like a stuck record, - Rebelhead :)

I'd love to hear the RH 450 through a Vintage Alex :rolleyes:

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='alexclaber' post='588426' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:22 AM']Best at what?

Using an outboard preamp pedal to make a passive bass 'active' is no different from claiming plugging a bass into an amp makes it active! It's just a load of extra EQ.

Alex[/quote]
Are you saying Alex that if i bought a Tone Hammer it would sound exactly like my AG500?

My Question is general because i want to get different opinions on different pedals..whats best was probably missleading..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='588472' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:53 AM']Are you saying Alex that if i bought a Tone Hammer it would sound exactly like my AG500?[/quote]

That depends on the circuitry inside both preamps. If the EQ and overdrive are voiced the same, then yes, if not then no.

Put it this way - adding an outboard preamp is no different to adding an EQ pedal and/or a distortion pedal (depending on what that preamp does). The different between an outboard preamp and an onboard preamp is that the latter buffers the pickups much more directly, removing treble loss due to cable capacitance (see the Audere website and Z switch for more info on how pickups interact with cables and input stages).

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='588449' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:35 AM']I'd love to hear the RH 450 through a Vintage Alex :)[/quote]

The most recent Barefaced Vintage has gone to an RH450 owner! I bet it's quite loud...

Alex

I have an MXR M80 which I have principally for DI in case of amp failure. However, a preamp/DI does give you the ability to footswitch additional EQ for solos or a slap passage if you mainly play fingerstyle, or fill a potential hole in your amp's tonestack, for instance the M80 has its bass control centred at 60Hz whereas my LMII is centred at 40Hz. Additionally preamps such as the M80, Sansamp Bass Driver, Tonehammer, etc will also give you crunch if you want it. Best? Way too subjective, but I bought the M80 because its flat sound is transparent i.e. no pre curve EQ, unlike the Sansamp for instance.

[quote name='ezbass' post='588615' date='Sep 3 2009, 01:49 PM']I bought the M80 because its flat sound is transparent i.e. no pre curve EQ, unlike the Sansamp for instance.[/quote]

Except when you push the 'colour' button without noticing, and your bass gets completely 'Lost in Space'!!

:)

I've tried a number of these things over the years and none made any difference worth spending money on. You end up with tone controls all over the place with plenty of possibilities for confusion. Obviously it makes a massive difference if you are going out through a PA or not. In that case you are probably better off with a decent DI, set everything flat and let the sound man do his job. Other than that any half decent head probably has more eq than you'll ever need. If you really want to go nuts, get a proper graphic and put it in your effects loop :)

Just my $00.02.