Why become a member? ×

maybe going from a 4 to a 3 piece

0175westwood29

our rhythum/lead guitarist has just left due to work commitments, we aren't sure if we gonna look for a 4th member as our practices with just the 3 of us when the guitarist missed practice were good.

the problem i had was that the drop in volume when theres a solo is huge! i use a distortion on one part of our songs but im looking into getting a big muff, i dnt truely understand the sansamp? as isn't it a preamp?

i want something that will thincken out my sound to fill the space that the guitar left? i know it won't sound the same but something close, im in the process of getting the oc-3 boss super octave pedal im hoping that will work a bit, but what do some of you guys use?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='587803' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:44 PM']our rhythum/lead guitarist has just left due to work commitments, we aren't sure if we gonna look for a 4th member as our practices with just the 3 of us when the guitarist missed practice were good.

the problem i had was that the drop in volume when theres a solo is huge! i use a distortion on one part of our songs but im looking into getting a big muff, i dnt truely understand the sansamp? as isn't it a preamp?

i want something that will thincken out my sound to fill the space that the guitar left? i know it won't sound the same but something close, im in the process of getting the oc-3 boss super octave pedal im hoping that will work a bit, but what do some of you guys use?

andy[/quote]
not a lover of the old octave pedal myself(makes the sound all over the place!!)good for a guitarist!the t.rex pedal is fab gives you overdrive and a boost in 1 for the soloey bits,or you could fill it out with a synth(digitech one is a bit cack thou)

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='587803' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:44 PM']our rhythum/lead guitarist has just left due to work commitments, we aren't sure if we gonna look for a 4th member as our practices with just the 3 of us when the guitarist missed practice were good.

andy[/quote]
You have just typed the perfect story Akai would use to describe the benefits of their Unibass pedal.

Great news. You think something will be missing, but it won't.

You'll find that a trio will be great once you get used to the lack of audio wallpaper and background racket. I play in trio's all the time and you just have to love the space and freedom that you get. Every note you play will become more important to the number, as will every space you leave. You can fill the spaces with all kinds of stuff, pedals, extra notes, whatever you want, but none of it is needed and most of the "stuff" will detract from what you are playing. Try it.

[quote name='chris_b' post='587914' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:30 PM']Great news. You think something will be missing, but it won't.

You'll find that a trio will be great once you get used to the lack of audio wallpaper and background racket. I play in trio's all the time and you just have to love the space and freedom that you get. Every note you play will become more important to the number, as will every space you leave. You can fill the spaces with all kinds of stuff, pedals, extra notes, whatever you want, but none of it is needed and most of the "stuff" will detract from what you are playing. Try it.[/quote]

i have practice tomoz and the oc-3 not here yet so im gonna try it i think.

it would only be on some songs that the wall of noise would be missed, and there the heavier numbers in our set

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='587922' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:34 PM']....it would only be on some songs that the wall of noise would be missed, and there the heavier numbers in our set...[/quote]
Are you heavier than the Who, Led Zep, Cream or Hendrix?

[quote name='chris_b' post='587914' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:30 PM']Great news. You think something will be missing, but it won't.

You'll find that a trio will be great once you get used to the lack of audio wallpaper and background racket. I play in trio's all the time and you just have to love the space and freedom that you get. Every note you play will become more important to the number, as will every space you leave. You can fill the spaces with all kinds of stuff, pedals, extra notes, whatever you want, but none of it is needed and most of the "stuff" will detract from what you are playing. Try it.[/quote]
Amen. Don't fill the gaps, glory in them.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='587999' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:22 PM']well we play hard rock/ metal, its just the rhythm in the solos does drop, it just missing the cut the our old guitarist gave it.

check out our myspace in my sig

andy[/quote]

How about playing chords like Lemmy?

I've always enjoyed playing in three piece or at least bands with one guitarist bands more. Love the the space; everything seems (to me) more defined, better dynamics.
Never understood the need for a rythmn guitarist clogging things up.
Having said all that, one of the bands I'm in at the moment has twin guitars... :)

Fuzz & Octaver can sometimes come in handy as far as effects go.

Edited by nick

Danelectro french toast is a good cheap starter. It'd be helpful if you had a blender for it.

I started off using effects with a view to fill the gaps left where we'd add rythm guitar in the studio. I realised at the end that I just loved the distorted bass and used it almost all the time, just with varying levels and tones. So I agree that it's not necessary to add a pedal in for guitar solos, but it IS fun.

I've played with just 1 guitarist for the last 6 or so years.
I think the trick is to make sure that the bass is high up in the mix all the time, with plenty of mids in there (possibly drop some low bass and boost mids). So when the guitarist solos, you are already loud enough, it really needs to be audible rather than just 'thump'. Works for me and plenty of others.
You can still use distortion, chords etc, but don't just use them when the guitarist plays intros/solos etc.

Don't add any more effects now, just revel in having more space to fill if you want to. I've played in one guitar bands for such a long time that I can't imagine having another guitar getting in the way! You may eventually conclude that some songs need some overdrive to fill space in a generic rock way but before you get to that point I recommend turning up your amp and reducing any boost in the lows - more loudness in the midrange to fill the space. Simple chords and octaves can be very effective. Also when writing new material, don't instantly play the lowest root note you can, start further up the neck and on the thinner strings.

Alex

We had our first rehearsal as a 3 piece last night. I was blown away by how much punchier we were. The 'spaces' really made the songs. I simplified my parts a couple of times during guitar solos and the drummer compensated really well too. The dynamics were top notch. I didn't find I needed to increase my volume in the mix at all. Especially as I could hear what all 3 of us were playing so much better now. Hell I even tried BVs (football terrace style is the best I can manage though) for the first time.
I'm really looking forward to our open air gig on Sunday rather than dreading it now.

Can you tell I enjoyed it :)

[quote name='nick' post='588106' date='Sep 2 2009, 10:30 PM']I've always enjoyed playing in three piece or at least bands with one guitarist bands more. Love the the space; everything seems (to me) more defined, better dynamics.
Never understood the need for a rythmn guitarist clogging things up.
Having said all that, one of the bands I'm in at the moment has twin guitars... :)

Fuzz & Octaver can sometimes come in handy as far as effects go.[/quote]

we have some dual guitar parts to, plus as i think ive sadi above the rhythum is sometimes not just replicating a riff, he sometimes place octave down or up, so this is why the oc-3 looks good, ill just place higher up.

andy

• 3 weeks later...

Big +1 on the unibass, but to be honest I never use octaves to "fill space", just dirt did the job for me when I was very briefly in a 1 guitar bass and drums band, a good dirt sound will fill out the mid/high end, and a good riff/groove with varied/improvved fills will keep things sounding interesting

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='587999' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:22 PM']well we play hard rock/ metal, its just the rhythm in the solos does drop, it just missing the cut the our old guitarist gave it.[/quote]

If your lead guitarist adapted his playing and used more double stops as opposed to single notes you'd be amazed how big the band can sound. I agree with the earlier post which says change what you play, pedals shouldn't be relied on too heavily. I think you'll find it'll wake the band up a bit (& I say that not having heard you).

• 4 weeks later...

well thought i'd let ppl know not that you really will care lol.

decided to go back to a four piece once we find the right guy.

sounds cool as a three but tbh there are solos and rhythm parts that we want to do live that we just cant with 1 guitar, and infact were going more the other way! as im looking at the moment into getting a separate cab and amp to run all my effects thru! ie big time fuzz and dis, plus some flanger and of course my wah!

so it may end up sounding like there 3 guitars! lol

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62572"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62572[/url]

here a link to that thread.

andy