Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to hold an audition?

Low End Bee

We've recently 'parted company' with one of the founder members of our band. We can make do in the interim as a trio but it's no good for longer sets. I can't contribute much vocally as, hard as I might try I still sound like Arthur Mullard.

Looks like we're going to want a new 2nd guitarist who needs to share vocal duties too.

We started off as a mid life crisis hobby band 3 and a half years ago but are now headling gigs, selling CDs and all that stuff! We're going to be on the cover mount CD for Classic rock mags November issue for chrissakes.

Anyway it's all original stuff so how do we hold an audition for the new bloke?

How long do we give them?
What do we get them to play?
Where do we advertise?
Can I wear high waistband trousers and pretend to be Simon Cowell?
Any other tips?

I'd give them two songs to learn. One of your easy ones, one of your more difficult ones. The first will show feel and motivation to play simply, the other, feel and technical ability.

I'd give them an hour, no chit chat, go straight to the music. If you like them have a chat for 15 minutes after. In my recent audition, after playing through the one song I had to learn, I had to jam over some really unfamiliar changes and over a improvised thing in 7/8. I just did some spastic walking bass and chucked in some wickid punchy polyrhythmic lines in the 7/8 thing (the drummer gave me a cool wink during that :). It was a good test and it brought out my strengths and my weaknesses, might be pretty rough on a nervous player though.

Not sure where to advertise but forums seem to work well as far as I can tell.

Where do you rehearse? If you're in the Brentford area, Survival Studios in North Acton is good, cheap rates (about £24 inc. drums for three hours), decent clean rooms with mirrors, drums, decent amps (although bass amps are behringer and a few marshalls), mics, desks, PA / monitors, etc. I reckon it's a good place for an audition. Done a few there myself and it's nice and comfy and spacious.

I've plenty of experience of auditions from both sides of the table. What do you want from the 4th member? Do you want someone relatively self sufficient who can pick up your songs and learn them from notation or by ear or are you happy to put in a lot of one to one tuition to show them the songs?

If the former, knock up some cheap CDRs with 3 songs and give them a week to learn. If you can provide some pointers in the form of chord chart and a few of the trickier melodies transcribed or tabbed, then it's worth making the effort.

Advertise in forming bands, gumtree, facebook, twitter, myspace and anywhere else that look shandy and don;t be afraid to poach band members from other local bands. Asking them to 'help out for a bit' is a great starting point.

[quote name='silddx' post='586557' date='Sep 1 2009, 02:57 PM']Where do you rehearse? If you're in the Brentford area, Survival Studios in North Acton is good, cheap rates (about £24 inc. drums for three hours), decent clean rooms with mirrors, drums, decent amps (although bass amps are behringer and a few marshalls), mics, desks, PA / monitors, etc. I reckon it's a good place for an audition. Done a few there myself and it's nice and comfy and spacious.[/quote]

They used to have Trace stacks and Marshall JCM 900's.

Thanks silddx.

I know Survival well. Like it too.

We rehearse at Airplay in Ashford as it suits us geographically.

I like the one easy, one more difficult idea a lot. Makes good sense.

And bassbloke. Good ideas there too. None of the songs are too demanding for the newbie as the one he's replacing was technically limited. We've got plenty of recorded material so that's not a problem.
It'll be a good gig for someone as he'll be given carte blanche to re-jig his parts as long as they fit OK.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='586565' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:08 PM']They used to have Trace stacks and Marshall JCM 900's.[/quote]
They certainly did! They still have Marshall guitar amps, and Roland Jazz Choruses, but the bass amps are behringer. They're ok for rehearsals. Oddly, they have been proven to be more reliable than the Marshall bass amps there which often blow fuses.

Sorry, totally OT. Apologies.

IME, it's always good to give people a few options of which songs they can learn - maybe a couple that they definately need to learn and then their own choice of a couple more of your songs. You might find that if someone is eager and proficient, they'll learn the whole lot and save time later (if they suit the band well enough to join).

I've done this a couple of times when I've auditioned for bands who have provided me with plenty of songs/recordings in case I decide to learn more than they ask for...I've always been a bit put off if there are only a couple of songs for me to learn, as it might suggest there could be loads of rehearsals rather than just keeping the band going the same as it was before but with a new bass player.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='586572' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:15 PM']and Roland jazz chorus combos. Ever heard the distortion channel on one of those? A wasp in a tin can sounds better.[/quote]
bit OT, but I use a Jazz Chorus (JC-90) as my main amp for guitar - never use the nasty distortion, and rarely the chorus, but it sounds awesome clean and suits pedals, as it has such a transparent tone!...never met anyone else who uses one for guitar though.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='586567' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:10 PM']We rehearse at Airplay in Ashford as it suits us geographically.[/quote]

I liked Airplay, but it was well pricey for what you got.

Did Ian ever finish building that studio at the end of the corridor? :)

My advice would be keep it simple and professional stay sober. Make sure the musicians auditioning get the information and a copy of the tracks in plenty of time.

3 Songs, allow 30 minute
pick the songs to show case what you are looking for

Make a short questionnaire for them to fill in on arrival, name Age, where you live, gear, previous experience, you know the sort of thing

Maybe take a digital camera to put a face to the form, make comment forms for your band to fill in.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='586807' date='Sep 1 2009, 07:50 PM']My advice would be keep it simple and professional stay sober. Make sure the musicians auditioning get the information and a copy of the tracks in plenty of time.

Make a short questionnaire for them to fill in on arrival, name Age, where you live, gear, previous experience, you know the sort of thing

Maybe take a digital camera to put a face to the form, make comment forms for your band to fill in.[/quote]

I have to say, no disrespect, but you say keep it simple and 30 minutes with three songs. Then you say questionnaires, photoshoot, comment forms ..

Firstly, by the time that's over with, you'd be left with three bars of Flight of the Bumblebee in double time.

Secondly, no-one I've ever heard of has ever been to an audition like that, have you?

Thirdly, I would walk out immediately thinking I'd NEVER want to play with people like that.

Audition anyone who asks for one, the great ones will stay in your head, no mistake. If they're all sh*t, repeat the process.

Back on topic.

I think we'll give them a choice of two from four. I think we'll probably know from that if they're up for it. It's pretty simple stuff as the last guy was no guitar hero (although he was an excellent lyricist and motivator) and it was written to accommodate that. What could be worse than auditioning for an hour with everybody not enjoying it?

Competency and enthusiasm over a superstar performer will be fine. As long as we can get along on a social level and our aims and tastes are near enough.

I've learnt from employing at work that people can get better but they very rarely get nicer.

Thanks for the advice. I won't be taking photos or doing quizzes though. Maybe just a quick psychometric test though....

[quote name='silddx' post='586882' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:45 PM']I have to say, no disrespect, but you say keep it simple and 30 minutes with three songs. Then you say questionnaires, photoshoot, comment forms ..

Firstly, by the time that's over with, you'd be left with three bars of Flight of the Bumblebee in double time.

Secondly, no-one I've ever heard of has ever been to an audition like that, have you?

Thirdly, I would walk out immediately thinking I'd NEVER want to play with people like that.

Audition anyone who asks for one, the great ones will stay in your head, no mistake. If they're all sh*t, repeat the process.[/quote]

The auditions that I am used too tended to attract quite a few candidates.

From a busy covers bands prospective 30 mins is plenty of time but maybe add 10mins turnaround time, if peple have lernt their parts, if not then they are the wrong people.. The second audition tended to be less formal and more time to get to know them.

Photos and questionnaire are just a memory aids.

As a band you need to work out what you want. I don't like the advice on poaching members as whilst genius can get you a bad reputation. One thing I heard once that I liked is you don't want a top bloke who can't play nor do you want a prat that puts the rest of you to shame. It's a balancing act. I think auditions are a bit like job interviews in that you pretty much know the moment they walk through the door. Is it easy to get on with them? Do they seem reliable etc. Bear in mind that we spend our free time doing this so it has to be fun.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='586922' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:13 PM']Back on topic.

I've learnt from employing at work that people can get better but they very rarely get nicer.[/quote]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='587082' date='Sep 2 2009, 12:44 AM']. One thing I heard once that I liked is you don't want a top bloke who can't play[/quote]

and therein lies the problem based on my experience you have to follow these rules :

When you advertise make out as if you’re the next big thing and the phrase “ Major label interest “ must be used in the advert.

Give then a choice of 2 songs to learn out of a possible 4 ( but don’t forget to look disappointed when they only bothered learning 2 and not the whole lot ). Just to test them try changing the key or use different drum riff from the recording

Tell them they can make the guitar parts they’re own although of course you know that any changes are not going to be as good as the original and should be treated with contempt

Give each auditonee a 30 minute slot with no feedback at all , if possible try to get each slot to overlap so they have a chance to meet each other on the way out.

Wait a week and tell anyone who auditioned that they were alright but their guitar looked a bit strange and they didn’t quite fit in

Repeat process until you get bored and move onto a new band

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='587345' date='Sep 2 2009, 12:08 PM']When you advertise make out as if you’re the next big thing and the phrase “ Major label interest “ must be used in the advert.[/quote]
Always worth remembering that auditions can work both ways - you need to impress the candidates enough for them to want to join your band after the audition.

You may find someone who is perfect for what you want, but if the band doesn't live up to the expectations they have based on the advert, you could struggle to convince them to come back.

IME, it's good to be really careful how you word your adverts - if you haven't had things like major lable interest, there are plenty of other things you as a band can offer, like the opportunity for creative input, writing, lots of gigs, money (although i realise this doesn't apply to all bands) and the social aspects of a band...I'd never answer an advert that doesn't appear to offer me much and I've always been really put-off by bands who have answered adverts I've had by just telling me what they want me to do without offering anything. Whilst it's important to sound impressive, it's equally as important to live up to it and be impressive to avoid putting off any potential candidates.

If possible, refrain from introducing oneself and one's colleagues with the band nicknames or noms de gig. Even if your real names are Teddy, Lombardo and Egbert, the rawk-alternatives are always worse.

At an audition I attended some years ago, the frontman and leader levered himself from his recumbent position on the sofa, adjusted his bandana headwear, eyed me up and, in a faux-cockney voice, drawled:

"I'm Splib."

I just said: "No." And left.

Edited by skankdelvar