Why become a member? ×

Ranking the Fender Jazzes

arabassist

I'm just curious to know how people on BC would 'rank' the different fender Jazzes (4 strings). I mean for example, mine is a Squier VMJ with CV neck (bought off DanOwens :rolleyes: ) and i find it a hell lot better than the standard squier jazz you get for £180ish retail. However, how much better does lets say, a MIM compare to it, or an MIJ and an MIA too? I believe one BC'er (might have been talkbass) said the mexican ones are not that much better than the VMJs, and therefore not worth it. How do they differ anyway? Better electronics? Wood?

Never seen a japanese one and haven't touched a true american one yet :)

I think i'm GASing the aerodyne model :lol: (probably just for its looks :blush: )
Where would you rank that one?

Every range has it's stinkers regardless or price and vice versa.

You get lucky, I've played some appalling MIM basses and some brilliant ones, same with USA models. That squier model is generally very well put together and may be better than some MIM models. It's impossible to rank them in order as so many little factors effect each bass.

All the ranges have good and bad due to the usual mass production issues. The usual try before you buy mantra applies.

I have the Am.Std. Jazz which is a lovely bass, but I also want a Classic Vibe jazz. They are almost as good and in some cases, better than the American.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='583425' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:05 PM']All the ranges have good and bad due to the usual mass production issues. The usual try before you buy mantra applies.

I have the Am.Std. Jazz which is a lovely bass, but I also want a Classic Vibe jazz. They are almost as good and in some cases, better than the American.

Rich.[/quote]

Agree 100% with that. I used to have a MIA Jazz which was great. I've currently got a Classic vibe Jazz (albeit with a fretless precision neck on it) and it is incredibly good for the money.

On the other hand I've played some pretty ropey Fenders from right across the range. The general view seems to be that the Japanese Fenders are consistantly good, but as OTPJ says, you have to try before you buy. IMO you simply can't say that one Fender range is better than another.

I've now got two MIM Jazz basses and think both are great. One I got this morning, swapping for a Squier CV 60's P and a guitar Floor Pod!

I have tried many Jazz basses and there seems to be a trend. The quality with MIA is much more consistent and nearly all are very good, so you are fairly safe to mail order one sight unseen. The MIM is much more inconsistent, some are as good as MIA whilst some should be used for firewood. You really need to try a MIM before commiting to buying it. The Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibes series both have excellent quality control and I have never found a bad one. Only the MIA seems to be setup properly before distribution.

I've never tried a Aerodyne so I can't comment, but I do know they look great!

I have a MIM Fretless Jazz, which I have had for about 8 or 9 years. Tried a few different ones out from different stores and could tell the difference between each - even between fretted versions, the one which I bought sounded good compared to more expensive models and felt almost as good to play. I'd like to think I got one of the higher quality MIM, rather than a Friday afternoon job!!

Get a Highway one they are the tits,they are american made and you get a badass bridge included,i love mine it even swayed me over a 70s jap reissue which i really wanted coz i love block inlays,but the neck on the highway one felt much nicer,especially since i got the action right down.

[quote name='arabassist' post='583341' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:58 AM']I'm just curious to know how people on BC would 'rank' the different fender Jazzes (4 strings). I mean for example, mine is a Squier VMJ with CV neck (bought off DanOwens :rolleyes: ) and i find it a hell lot better than the standard squier jazz you get for £180ish retail. However, how much better does lets say, a MIM compare to it, or an MIJ and an MIA too? I believe one BC'er (might have been talkbass) said the mexican ones are not that much better than the VMJs, and therefore not worth it. How do they differ anyway? Better electronics? Wood?

Never seen a japanese one and haven't touched a true american one yet :)

I think i'm GASing the aerodyne model :lol: (probably just for its looks :blush: )
Where would you rank that one?[/quote]
The Aerodyne is really skanky compared to most Jazzes. Great for slap but little beef.

I have a 70's reissue which plays like a dream and have owned Squiers in the past I think price is the best marker between the qualities. The MIM's in theory are a better bass hense the price difference, but there's not too much in it.

I would always hold out for an American which will be good 99% of the time - mind you it will cost you!

Bass snobs with a grand plus basses will always look down there noses at Squiers, but its horses for courses and for the money they are hard to beat.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='583674' date='Aug 28 2009, 03:54 PM']Bass snobs with a grand plus basses will always look down there noses at Squiers, but its horses for courses and for the money they are hard to beat.[/quote]

I've never understood that attitude. Squires are generally a good buy, and if you are on a budget then you are getting a lot of bass for your money. Some of it is all down to how much you are willing to pay but I don't think you can rank them easily

[quote name='YouMa' post='583560' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:08 PM']Get a Highway one they are the tits,they are american made and you get a badass bridge included,i love mine it even swayed me over a 70s jap reissue which i really wanted coz i love block inlays,but the neck on the highway one felt much nicer,especially since i got the action right down.[/quote]

+1. I haven't played loads of jazzs', but Highway One is the way to go if you like the finish.

It seems the classic vibes are a pretty excellent model for their price - i am loving the neck.

[quote name='silddx' post='583567' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:14 PM']The Aerodyne is really skanky compared to most Jazzes. Great for slap but little beef.[/quote]

lol what exactly do ya mean by skanky?

im sorry but...PHWWOOAAR [url="http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0254505506_xl.jpg"]http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images...54505506_xl.jpg[/url]

[quote]Ill just say that MIK instruments i would put nearer the top end of the spectrum, very good quality and construction. I have the Jazz 24 as my main bass and love it. Its as good as any MIA ive played.[/quote]

I assume MIK is made in korea? never heard of that :)

Is Jazz 24 the only one with 24 fret?

EDIT: bloody hell, that looks better than the aerodyne [url="http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/1/7/558017.jpg"]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../1/7/558017.jpg[/url]

Oh also, the VMJs have duncan designed puppies - do the ones equipped for MIM and MIA differ?

Edited by arabassist

to confuse matters further it's worth making the distinction between CIJ - made for the domestic market to a very high standard, and MIJ - made for export and regarded as lesser quality, some are basswood etc. having said that many MIJ's are cracking instruments. :rolleyes: it's such an intangible thing: try before you buy innit

[quote name='arabassist' post='584127' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:42 PM']It seems the classic vibes are a pretty excellent model for their price - i am loving the neck.

lol what exactly do ya mean by skanky?

im sorry but...PHWWOOAAR [url="http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0254505506_xl.jpg"]http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images...54505506_xl.jpg[/url]

I assume MIK is made in korea? never heard of that :)

Is Jazz 24 the only one with 24 fret?

EDIT: bloody hell, that looks better than the aerodyne [url="http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/1/7/558017.jpg"]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../1/7/558017.jpg[/url]

Oh also, the VMJs have duncan designed puppies - do the ones equipped for MIM and MIA differ?[/quote]

[quote name='grahamd' post='584172' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:28 PM']to confuse matters further it's worth making the distinction between CIJ - made for the domestic market to a very high standard, and MIJ - made for export and regarded as lesser quality, some are basswood etc. having said that many MIJ's are cracking instruments. :) it's such an intangible thing: try before you buy innit[/quote]

That's nonsense, there's no difference between MIJ and CIJ. Recent instruments are all marked CIJ, prior to that they were all marked MIJ.

My view with Fenders at Squier & MIM level is that the entry level is ok but the deluxe is one hell of a jump. In some respects I'd argue that VM Squiers rival MIM standards and MIM Classics certainly rival the entry level US. I'm a massve fan of the MIM CLassic range and just can't fault it for consistancy on all their products

Once you get down to it, any bass is just a bit of wood with some hardware and some pickups screwed onto it. The only way to form a valid opinion is to go out and try some different models. Even then, Fender's occasionally erratic, range-wide QC can introduce unexpected variables.

Fender and certain others have found themselves in the unusual commercial position of segmenting a more or less identical product by price and geographical origin. Buying a domestically produced product seems to be marginally more important in the US and certain other forums might get into big, patriotically-tinged rows about this issue.

Thus, Fender has a commercial and cultural dilemma. Fender US Marketing has to assert that US produced basses are 'better', without dissing the basses at lower price points. Presumably Squier's marketing people have the equally sensitive task of bigging up their product without drawing potential US-product customers 'downward'.

This fairly unique marketing contradiction is what drives many threads, here and elsewhere. Which Jazz is best? As with so much in life, YMMV.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='arabassist' post='584127' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:42 PM']Is Jazz 24 the only one with 24 fret?

Oh also, the VMJs have duncan designed puppies - do the ones equipped for MIM and MIA differ?[/quote]

Yep except i have mine with a quilted maple top in cherry sunburst, Its damn nice.

The few Cijs i have played are also great quality.

interesting, I read this before I bought my CIJ. stand corrected

[url="http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/jb62_77/index.html"]http://www.gear-review.co.uk/reviews/jb62_77/index.html[/url]

[quote name='BB2000' post='584182' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:44 PM']That's nonsense, there's no difference between MIJ and CIJ. Recent instruments are all marked CIJ, prior to that they were all marked MIJ.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='583674' date='Aug 28 2009, 03:54 PM']Bass snobs with a grand plus basses will always look down there noses at Squiers, but its horses for courses and for the money they are hard to beat.[/quote]
I own several grand plus basses, and own a Squier P Bass Special! The set up out the box was OKish, but with a set of quarter pounders fitted, and a bit of tinkering with the truss rod, and the bridge, and it's an awesome bass, for about a third of the price of a MIA.

Every Squier, or MIM I have played has IMHO been well built, and just needed a few tweeks. I used to have a Mex Jazz V, and that was good out the box. I know there is the argument of quality of woods, electronics, etc, but I think there is a good argument for buying a Squier, or a MIM, fitting decent pickups, and saving a lot of money.

Out the box, they do offer VFM though.

[quote name='grahamd' post='584172' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:28 PM']to confuse matters further it's worth making the distinction between CIJ - made for the domestic market to a very high standard, and MIJ - made for export and regarded as lesser quality, some are basswood etc. having said that many MIJ's are cracking instruments. :) it's such an intangible thing: try before you buy innit[/quote]
Let's clear this up. MIJ or CIJ refers [b]only[/b] to which factory produced the bass and does not reflect quality in any way.

The first Jap Fenders (and the incredibly sought after JV & SQ Squiers) were made by Fujigen Gakki. Fujigen was specifically chosen because of the excellent quality of their Fender copies, particularly the Greco range. Fujigen Gakki had the contract for Japanese Fenders up until 1997, and these are labelled MIJ. Subsequently production moved to Dyna Gakki & Tokai Gakki, who labelled their output as CIJ, to distinguish them from Fujigen.

Recently Fujigen has resumed production of Fenders so there are now new MIJs hitting the shops.

Jon.

Best jazz i had was a 1990 jap 60's re issue, next best would be my vm squier jazz. Worse one would be a american 62 re issue, very dull and lifeless even with a badass bridge fitted. Worse fender ever would be a mexican precision i had, possibly made of bulsa wood.