Why become a member? ×

Fender TV Bassman combo

Pete Academy

The Fender rep brought me a Fender TV series Bassman 1 x 10" combo to try today. I have to say it's a real winner. 150 watts through a 1 x 10" speaker, it was really pokey. Loads of bass end for a 1 x 10". Tried it with a jazz, turn the amp up to about 7, put the back pickup soloed, backed off the tone a bit, and Jaco heaven!

STOP PRESS: I tried the Fender Bassman TV 2x10 one today. My initial thought was they need dirtying up cosmetically. Not a problem though - once the amp has done a couple of hot sweaty gigs that tweed won't look quite so fresh. I was surprised with how clean they looked though. Weight wise, it is a weighty beast as I'm sure people would expect. Now I've been excited about these so had high hopes. The reality is that they are good. Not great and possible not worth the money but good. I like the Fender tone where you can control the level of grit & bite with a volume and then set the master volume accordingly. I played around with the settings and (as with most tube amps) it sounded best cranked a little. I was in the sterile enviroment that was a virtually empty Dawsons so I can't confess the tubes had warmed up but it was easy enough to get a good tone. The problem was I'm also able to get good tones out of combos with much easier portability. I'd like one but at that price (for a combo) I'd probably be saving my money. I'm still curious about the 1x10 though.

they do look rather nice.
having seen the price (about 800) for the 1x15 version I wonder if i would go for that or a 70's bassman 100 head and cab for the same price....
best amp i think ive ever played through was a fender bassman which belonged to the nice man from glasvegas. sounded lovely.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='579537' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:49 PM']STOP PRESS: I tried the Fender Bassman TV 2x10 one today. My initial thought was they need dirtying up cosmetically. Not a problem though - once the amp has done a couple of hot sweaty gigs that tweed won't look quite so fresh. I was surprised with how clean they looked though. Weight wise, it is a weighty beast as I'm sure people would expect. Now I've been excited about these so had high hopes. The reality is that they are good. Not great and possible not worth the money but good. I like the Fender tone where you can control the level of grit & bite with a volume and then set the master volume accordingly. I played around with the settings and (as with most tube amps) it sounded best cranked a little. I was in the sterile enviroment that was a virtually empty Dawsons so I can't confess the tubes had warmed up but it was easy enough to get a good tone. The problem was I'm also able to get good tones out of combos with much easier portability. I'd like one but at that price (for a combo) I'd probably be saving my money. I'm still curious about the 1x10 though.[/quote]

The 1 x 10" has a surprising amount of bass end. However, the 1 x 12" isn't that much more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

They [i]do[/i] seem on the expensive side by comparison to a wide range of offering I've seen from Ashdown et al. That said, hopefully they'll come down. A big attraction for me, as a fan of all things retro, is the look: Outside of the uber-expensive, all tube 59 Bassman reissue (which is really built with guitarists in mind, these days), I can't think of any other bass amp that has that late fifties look I like to it. I [i]do[/i] have an original, early 70s Bassman 100 which, rather than invest in speaker cabs to use with a bas, I have been planning on selling (also to fund a new bass). I don't really need another amp - for my home-playing purposes, my Vox T-25 does just fine for now - but I do really fancy this Fender. The fact that it is a hybrid attracts me - I generally play bass pretty clean (don't we all, for the most part?), and so a nice solid state does what I need just fine. It [i]does[/i] seem a touch on the expensive side for a mostly-tranny amp, but then my experience is predominantly with guitar amps, not bass amps, so I may be totally off-bass there.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Doddy' post='595728' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:54 PM']The New Bassman 12 is lovely.....especially with a flatwound strung Precision-
classic bass tone.[/quote]

Just gigged with the TV12. Pub gig, Live drummer, LOUD guitarist. NO PROBLEM. The TV12 holds it's own . . . and I only needed 2/3 of the available power. The landlord said you could hear the bass down the road! Plenty of bottom end but with a clarity that only 12inch speakers bring (my other rig is an Aguilar 2x12). And for big gigs, you got the DI . . . I dont think you'll struggle to hear yourself as this little combo rocks.
So . . . it's easily luggable but built to last, looks the dogs!, good range of tones, (pure fender courtesy of my 63 and 71 precisions) and I doubt I'll be karting my aguilar 2x12 and orange ad200 around much longer. If you really are worried about the power then go for the 15, but to my mind the 12 is a great useable package. Ok so not cheap, but I'm one happy customer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Bassman 100' post='718164' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:01 PM']HI new member here.
Has anyone compared Phil Jones Flight Case (150watt, €800, 10kg)
[b]V[/b] New Fender Bassman TV10 (150watt, €735.00, 20kg ?)
Interested in side by side comparisons[/quote]

Well, I've got a Phil Jones Flightcase... if someone wasn't to give me a Bassman, I'll happily do the comparison :)

[quote name='Bassman 100' post='718164' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:01 PM']HI new member here.
Has anyone compared Phil Jones Flight Case (150watt, €800, 10kg)
[b]V[/b] New Fender Bassman TV10 (150watt, €735.00, 20kg ?)
Interested in side by side comparisons[/quote]

Well, from what's been said about the Fenders and my experience of the Flightcase, I'd certainly expect the Fender to be considerably louder. The Flightcase has lovely tone but will disappear very quickly in a live mix. You'll need to play both side-by-side to really know

C