Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Cables.

MB1

MB1. :)
Ive had a Planet Waves Cable for quite a while and never had any trouble whatsoever with it.I did unfortunately discover an intermittent fault(angled end)...i then noticed the cable has a lifetime warranty.After Contacting Planet Waves U.K distributors,i recieved a New Cable and a Planet Waves T shirt.Planet Waves do run a Policy of changing all cables at point of sale with a reciept.Many Thanks to Antonia who sorted this quickly!
Excellent Cables and a Great Service.
Many Thanks
Martin.

Yeah, the Lifetime Warranty thing is really great, I'll be buying 15-20 mic cables very shortly and although some other manufacturers have been tempting, I think I'll go with Planet Waves for this reason alone! The little cable tie thing they have attached to each cable is really useful too.

+1 from me :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='549004' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:10 PM']Yeah, the Lifetime Warranty thing is really great, I'll be buying 15-20 mic cables very shortly and although some other manufacturers have been tempting, I think I'll go with Planet Waves for this reason alone! The little cable tie thing they have attached to each cable is really useful too.

+1 from me :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..Yes!...They do exactly what they say on the lead! :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='549400' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:14 PM']Hmm. I've got a couple of their instrument cables but I sincerely doubt I've kept the receipt...

The little bungee clip thing for coiling them up is a great idea though, that's half the reason I bought them. :)[/quote]

I also hook it round my strap button as a shock absorber in case i tread on my lead, very handy!

MB1, did you still have the receipt? One of mine failed on me a few gigs ago and i really like their cables.
Seriously doubt i've still got the receipt now though

I bought one of their cables from a local guitar shop last week, and the guy basically told me that if the cable fails in any way, to bring it back to them and they'll replace it free of charge, receipt or not.

I can't understand why most guitar shops wouldn't do this, they basically just send the faulty cable back and get a new one in return which they can sell at full price.

[quote name='acidbass' post='553327' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:45 PM']I bought one of their cables from a local guitar shop last week, and the guy basically told me that if the cable fails in any way, to bring it back to them and they'll replace it free of charge, receipt or not.

I can't understand why most guitar shops wouldn't do this, they basically just send the faulty cable back and get a new one in return which they can sell at full price.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Thats funny!... Planet waves U.K distributors couldnt understand why the shops werent just replacing them (with or without reciept!) either!.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='553501' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:47 AM']With a service like that it's a shame the jack plugs just won't work in a couple of my basses! :)[/quote]

They have updated the jack plugs now - they no longer have that spring system on them because they were ripping the innards out of very expensive Taylor acoustic guitars. I'm guessing that it was the spring that was causing the issue for you, right?

Also, I noticed a couple of people mentioned they didn't have their receipts for their cables. You'll probably find that if you contact the UK distributor they will replace the cable for you even without a receipt. There is only one UK distributor for Planet Waves, they're called Summerfield MI.

Edited by thumbo

That's interesting. I had 2 Planet Waves cables that I no longer use because they damaged the jack socket on my Gus G1 guitar. Would they replace them with the version with new jack plugs because of this or do I need to spend a evening stressing the cables to destruction?

[quote name='thumbo' post='553642' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:24 AM']They have updated the jack plugs now - they no longer have that spring system on them because they were ripping the innards out of very expensive Taylor acoustic guitars. I'm guessing that it was the spring that was causing the issue for you, right?[/quote]
It caused an issue for me on a Variax guitar - it was making very poor contact so the guitar kept cutting out. I replaced it with a normal stereo cable and it was fine.

[quote name='thumbo' post='553642' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:24 AM']They have updated the jack plugs now - they no longer have that spring system on them because they were ripping the innards out of very expensive Taylor acoustic guitars. I'm guessing that it was the spring that was causing the issue for you, right?

Also, I noticed a couple of people mentioned they didn't have their receipts for their cables. You'll probably find that if you contact the UK distributor they will replace the cable for you even without a receipt. There is only one UK distributor for Planet Waves, they're called Summerfield MI.[/quote]

Twas indeed the springs causing an issue! May well check out the new version then.

When they fail, the lifetime guarantee isn't that helpful mid-gig.

Non of my OBBM cables have ever failed (on a gig or otherwise) which is even more use than a free replacement!

Lots of clever ideas from PW though!

• 2 weeks later...

All of my Planet Waves cables came from sound control iirc.

The spring on one did cause my musicmaster socket to develop an intermittent crackle/cutout - Turns out the socket had been replaced at some point with a cheapo flimsy one. I put a proper switchcraft in and its perfect. Never had an issue with these cable in a bass with a switchcraft jack.

• 1 month later...

I hope no one minds me asking a few questions here. I am in the process of purchasing my first bass and combo and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which Planet Waves cable would be the best to buy. Assuming that the right angle jack is okay to be used at the combo end (is the cable directional?) I intend to buy a 20ft cable with a right angle jack. It will only be used at home on a practice amp for now. I am leaning towards the Custom, as it does look more durable and I think the better shielding is probably worth paying extra for. Would that be a wise decision and would there be any benefit of the Custom Pro over the Custom? The cheapest prices I can find including delivery are the Standard at £16, the Custom at £23 and the Custom Pro at £30, does this sound about right?

Edited by TheBlueFalcon