Why become a member? ×

AC/DC Tribute Band

acidbass

Hello all,

I've agreed to audition for an AC/DC tribute band based near me in Northern Ireland.

As you all probably know, tributes to AC/DC are ten a penny. Of course, the music is dead easy to play, and the money will probably be good, but is it worthwhile joining a band which will most likely be competing with 5/6 others in Ireland, let alone the UK?

Has anyone on here ever played/currently play in a tribute band to the DC? What's it like? Is there a competitive element between other bands?

I should mention that I don't particularly look like Cliff Williams but have long admired his simplistic playing style!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='545567' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:24 PM']As you all probably know, tributes to AC/DC are ten a penny.[/quote]

Not wishing to counter-assert - but are they? There's a surfeit of Jam, Beatles, Stones - but can only think of 3 or 4 AC/DC in the UK. Then, I'm probably talking bollocks again.

Is it worth it? Well, only time (and some phone calls) can tell, but if you're going to be in the band, then their chances probably just ramped up significantly. :)

As for his style - simplistic, yes. Locked tighter than anyone else in Rawk - even yes-ser.

With B Vox.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='acidbass' post='545567' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:24 PM']....I've agreed to audition for an AC/DC tribute band based near me in Northern Ireland.... the music is dead easy to play, and the money will probably be good, but is it worthwhile joining a band which will most likely be competing with 5/6 others in Ireland, let alone the UK?....[/quote]
If they do it properly then go for it!!

I've done a few fill-ins with DC/79 from round Bolton way. My brother used to be 'Malcolm' in the band.
They differed slightly in the fact that they only concentrated on the Bon Scott era. Not even sure if they are still going now as they lost their bon (who was an absolute ringer... see below....) to Canadian truck driving as whiskey drinking!!
My advice is to make sure the sound is spot on. DC fans tend to be very fickle when it comes to attempting to replicate their music. DO NOT DEVIATE even one note or dumbeat from the recordings... they'll bloody well have you for it!! :)
Having said that.... when you blast into Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, it's the best feeling ever!!!! :rolleyes:

Not me on bass BTW....

[quote name='tombboy' post='545600' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:51 PM']They differed slightly in the fact that they only concentrated on the Bon Scott era.[/quote]

Yeah, funnily enough that's the same as the band I'm auditioning for. No Back In Black or Thunderstruck on the setlist but it still looks pretty tasty!

I'd pay particular attention to the singer and whoever's 'doing' Angus, if those bits are right the rest should fall in to place. Nothing worse than a trib that looks right and sounds right until the singer opens his gob and bears no audible resemblance to the original. You might just have to keep track of where other ACDC tribs have been playing and try to avoid playing the same venues too soon after another one & avoid playing the same town on the same night as another similar act. I went to see a Zep trib last Friday and the pub was reasonably busy but not that full. Then someone pointed out that another Zep trib was appearing at another pub only 4 miles away, split the potential audience right down the middle!

• 5 years later...

Stay out of pubs as tributes don't tend to do so well there...
but there is a circuit that can sustain tribute bands, IMO..
which is why original bands tend to think, IME, that tribs
are killing music...but then they'd probably say that about
cover bands as well, even if they happen to play in one.. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424627384' post='2698470']
Stay out of pubs as tributes don't tend to do so well there...
but there is a circuit that can sustain tribute bands, IMO..
which is why original bands tend to think, IME, that tribs
are killing music...but then they'd probably say that about
cover bands as well, even if they happen to play in one.. :lol:
[/quote]

Its in a small seated venue in basildon

My new covers band acquired a new singer last week and during our first session together, he said he can do Bon Scott and Robert Plant, we all thought, yeah right!
So we burst into Whole Lotta Of Rosie followed by Rock & Roll, and he absolutely nailed them both, so we are now considering being a Tribute band for both, as well as doing covers under another name.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1424633647' post='2698599']
My new covers band acquired a new singer last week and during our first session together, he said he can do Bon Scott and Robert Plant, we all thought, yeah right!
So we burst into Whole Lotta Of Rosie followed by Rock & Roll, and he absolutely nailed them both, so we are now considering being a Tribute band for both, as well as doing covers under another name.
[/quote]

Can I suggest AC/LZ as your name?

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1424634297' post='2698609']
Towngate Theatre by chance?
[/quote]

"HellsBells" are you psychic! :D My lady friend and her gang see a lot of live music in the Basildon, Laindon, Pitsea, Canvey area. I was surprised when I was at Southend sea front and 'no' live music playing in anywhere? Sign of the times I guess

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1424696868' post='2699202']
Could do one set as ACDC and the second as LZ. There might be a decent number of people who are fans of both?
[/quote]That's exactly what we are considering, not sure whether it will work though. :scratch_one-s_head:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1424700794' post='2699285']
That's exactly what we are considering, not sure whether it will work though. :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

I think it'd work brilliantly. Two tributes for the price of one, with only the best songs due to doing two 45 min sets (or whatever it would be). Encore with a mash up of Whole Lotta Love/Rosie!

You'd have to work our what to do with Malcolm (or Angus) during the LZ set though. Perhaps he/she could do the keyboard parts?