Why become a member? ×

Where are the Zons

ape

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='molan' post='1023626' date='Nov 14 2010, 06:27 PM']Looks pretty posh to me :)

I haven't seen any of these in the flesh yet but they look just amazing in pictures and really good value for money given the quality tops they all seem to have.

You must let us know how you get on with it once you've had it a few weeks :lol:[/quote]

hi chaps,well i've had the bass for just over a month now & i'm still loving it to bits,there is no other bass i would swap this for.
it's done a couple of gigs recently & sounded awesome through my modest Roland combo,in fact my brother,our lead guitarist,said at the last gig "f***in hell our lad that sounds f***ing ace,it's got so much punch it nearly takes you're f***ing head off"
do you think he likes it ? :)
well impressed i don't think there is any other brand of bass on this planet & in this price range that can top these beautiful import Zon's.
cheers
Neil.

[quote name='artisan' post='1062350' date='Dec 18 2010, 12:01 PM']i don't think there is any other brand of bass on this planet & in this price range that can top these beautiful import Zon's.[/quote]

Well I'm stuffed between a rock and a hard place; if I agree with you, how will it look when someone asks "Why are you selling your Zon if you think that it is the 'best brand of bass on this planet' and what are you keeping in its place"... I can hardly say that I'm selling it and keeping a 'lesser' bass! :)

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1063204' date='Dec 19 2010, 04:44 AM']I heard from a representative at Zon at the beginning of the week, saying my bass will ship at the end of the week. We're just discussing which courier to use, and I may ask them to hold off until the early New Year now.... but it's imminent! (pauses to touch wood)[/quote]

Surely that should be "(pauses to touch graphite)"! :)

Nice one Andy, lets hope the delivery isn't delayed due to weather conditions.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1063204' date='Dec 19 2010, 04:44 AM']I heard from a representative at Zon at the beginning of the week, saying my bass will ship at the end of the week. We're just discussing which courier to use, and I may ask them to hold off until the early New Year now.... but it's imminent! (pauses to touch wood)[/quote]
Excellent news!
Pics & review asap please.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1088814' date='Jan 14 2011, 02:59 AM']The delay has taken me into 20% tax territory too, so now I have to find an *extra* 2.5% when it comes to import duty. a £200 increase due to the delay. grrrrr.[/quote]

personally i'd expect Zon to stand that as it is their fault not yours,had they have gotten their finger out your bass would be hear already.
drop Joe an email about it & see if he'll drop the price a tad,assuming you've not already paid in full that is.
although he may just ignore your email as usual :) .

Edited by artisan

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1088814' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:59 AM']urgh... after promising me that it would ship a couple of weeks before Christmas, they've gone all radio silent on me. No comms or even replies to my email of the day before yesterday.
I love Joe dearly when I speak to him on the phone. He's a lovely fella, but really their business operation is a proper nightmare.

Dave Funk on the other hand (I'm currently waiting for my TF amp to be ready) is an example of the usual American attitude of customer service being paramount. awesome coms, regular updates with photos, and quite happy to just chew the fat by email. Truly unsurpassed service. The amp will only be a couple of weeks late, as opposed to the 12 months tardyness of my Hyperbass.
The delay has taken me into 20% tax territory too, so now I have to find an *extra* 2.5% when it comes to import duty. a £200 increase due to the delay. grrrrr.[/quote]

Any news on this yet fella? I've been reading your posts on this for a while; I really hope you get it soon!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Danny Fox' post='1143769' date='Feb 27 2011, 08:06 PM']Have fun Andy! welcome to the club dude :)[/quote]

It arrived today (Friday 4th March.)

It an amazing piece of work. Tuly it is.

It's as different from a bass as a trombone is though... It's gonna take me a long time to get to know how to make it sing.

Not plugged it in an played it but I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1144081' date='Feb 28 2011, 12:47 AM']It arrived today (Friday 4th March.)

It an amazing piece of work. Truly it is.

Not plugged it in an played it but I'll keep you posted on how I get on![/quote]
Well? What's it like then?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1165844' date='Mar 17 2011, 03:03 PM']Well? What's it like then?[/quote]

Hmmmm Difficult to answer.

It's absolutely amazing! Truly an awesome piece of work. However, it feels right now, like I bought an instrument *so* specifically intended for use as a Manring type multi tuning instrument that I may never really use it, other than as a "bedroom bass".

I *could* tune it to EAGD and file out the bridge and nut to accept normal gauge strings (rather than piccollo) but that would kinda make it a regular bass, and I already have multiple 4's 5's and 6's.
I'm not sure I have the raw talent to really make the best use of this bass in the role for which it's actually intended.

...Don't get me wrong, I've had a few hours on it now, and I'm enjoying the challenge.
Who knows I may actually be able to play a tune on it eventually. (Currently tuned Bb F Bb F ...and that ignores the complicated way the hipshots and the bridge tuners change that. For example one of the hipshots is tuned to be a Bb in the open position while the rest are tuned in closed position. So that one slides up to a higher note while the others drop.) Mindfeck!

I was naieve to think I would be able to [i]easily [/i]use it as a regular (fretless) bass with the band.

Ask me again in 2 years and I'll probably have a better idea of how much I can't live without it...

[quote name='Danny Fox' post='1167035' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:14 PM']If you ever want to drop by my stooodio and have a bit of help, i would be happy to. Dont mean to be patronising, i just know how boggling the hyperbass is when you first get it! I'll PM you my number[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it, but I'll give it a while first Danny. I *think* it's the fact that it is *so* boggling that's thrown me.
Let me know when you have a gig again and I'll come through and chat with you. (No falling asleep and missing it this time.)

• 6 months later...

I just picked this up yesterday:

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/full1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/front1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/back1.jpg[/IMG]

I've had to use the previous owner's pictures, I plan to take some of my own soon. Anyway, it's a real stunner. The neck is fantastic and it's as light as feather. It's has a very vocal, even sounding tone that is interestingly articulate and organic at the same time. I can imagine many a happy soundman when you turn up with this, is must be very easy to mix!