Why become a member? ×

Where are the Zons

ape

[quote name='RhysP' post='759305' date='Feb 27 2010, 06:21 PM']Nice!

Did you order it through Mansons or direct from Joe Zon?[/quote]

Direct from Joe. I was speaking to him via e-mail because I wanted to know if I could get a hyperbass but really wanted it with the special bridge unit that Manring uses... And he informed me that although they don't appear on the web site they *were* doing a batch of Hyperbass with the adjustable tuning bridge... So I phoned him there and then and ordered it! The original quote was an approximate 8 month wait... but since I haven't had any build pictures yet I'm assuming it's not even started yet. I dunno how long the actual build time is, but I *should* hear something real soon. Hopefully. ...dammit! :)
I said I might fly over to collect it when it's ready, ...and Joe said he'd see if he could arrange a meeting with Mr Manring! Oooof I dunno if it'll happen, but that'd be a monumental day to remember for me.

[quote name='3V17C' post='758249' date='Feb 26 2010, 03:32 PM']My new arrival.....

bit of an expensive impulse buy and completely different to what I normally play.. but woah! what a truly excellent bass.

peace

C[/quote]

I'm thinking of ordering a 5/1 but I didn't know Zon does this LPB-ish colour :)
I wanted to go for a totally white one, but this is a bit nicer!
Did you order it yourself? Edited by Albi

I got the bass secondhand from Bass NW in Seattle. It used to belong to Evan the owner of the shop but he's now endorsed by Mike Lull basses apparently. The colour is 'Inca Blue' and yeah it was a special order. (Its actually a bit darker blue in the flesh)

cheers

C

Edited by 3V17C

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='759545' date='Feb 28 2010, 12:52 AM']I said I might fly over to collect it when it's ready, ...and Joe said he'd see if he could arrange a meeting with Mr Manring! Oooof I dunno if it'll happen, but that'd be a monumental day to remember for me.[/quote]

I've never met him but Michael Manring seems like a really pleasant chap (as well as very talented on bass of course). I've emailed him a couple of times and he's always responded promptly and courteously. Would love to catch him as/when he makes it to the UK at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Just over two months left, and I still haven't had any pictures... I wrote Joe and he said he'll get some pics off on Monday when he get back from his vacation. so there might be pics coming shortly!

I just did a little sex piss...

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience Zon aren't the most efficient company when it comes to replying to emails.
That said, I've never ordered a very expensive bass from them directly so I can understand why you're pissed off.

(Not making excuses for them or anything, but they've apparently been very busy with the launch of their import line of basses so maybe that has something to do with it).

• 3 months later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='915538' date='Aug 5 2010, 01:47 AM'][color="#4169E1"]5th August... Still no sign of my hyperbass.
Very (I mean *VERY*) dissapointed with the whole affair. I expected a higher level of professionalism from a manufacturer of high end basses.

However I'm also becoming increasingly aware that what we're dealing with here is more like a work of art. The Sistene chapel was ready when it was ready. Not before.

I dunno if Leo Da-v or Michelangelo quoted realistically but Joe sure doesn't bless him... He's a lovely disarming guy when he speaks to you... and promises the world... but top and bottom it's now well overdue, and I still don't have my bass.

damn.[/color][/quote]

You've the patience of a Saint, Andy! Not sure that I could be so philosophical about it... saying that I own a Sonus and it is a chuffin fabulous piece of work, so I can only imagine what your bass will be like! :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='915643' date='Aug 5 2010, 01:11 AM']That is absolutely beautiful ![/quote]

Thank you!

It is one of the easiest basses to play. The neck is a bit wide, but lines come so easily...action is really low, it is really fast....great sing, punch and of course growl.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='813409' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:22 AM']They've had £2000 of mine for 7 months or thereabouts and I don't even get mails to say that nothing is happening yet with my bass... just cold silence. Rubbish.[/quote]

You're getting a Hyper bass for £2000? :)

GremlinAndy,

I know timing may be difficult, but do try calling. I had to leave numerous messages, but did reach them by telephone many times. Half the time I got to speak with Joe Zon when I did get a pick-up.

Edited by AndroWal

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='921651' date='Aug 11 2010, 02:43 PM']Bah I'm a dolt! I should have read the last message Joe sent properly.
He did say that it'll be (hopefully) ready by the first week of September. Can't say fairer than that. (Well it'll be really late, but I kinda knew that would be that case.... )[/quote]

It must be really frustrating for you, but I'm sure it'll have been worth the wait.
Are you still thinking of going over to pick it up?

[quote name='fretmeister' post='931774' date='Aug 21 2010, 11:35 AM']Only just found this thread.

I soooo want a Hyperbass!

GremlinAndy - If I buy lunch can I have a go? I' thinking of ordering myself![/quote]

I was talking to Phil Nixon at BassGear last week & he has six Zons due in fairly soon. I'd guess that there isn't a Hyperbass because they are real custom jobs but with six to choose from I'd bet there's some tasty stuff :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='artisan' post='1023608' date='Nov 14 2010, 05:12 PM']ok so mine isn't as posh as the beautys posted on here but its the best i can afford & indeed the very best bass i've ever owned.
bought just yesterday from Phil at Bass Gear & yes he has some very tasty gear in stock.
Sonus "import" standard,me like a lot.[/quote]

Looks pretty posh to me :)

I haven't seen any of these in the flesh yet but they look just amazing in pictures and really good value for money given the quality tops they all seem to have.

You must let us know how you get on with it once you've had it a few weeks :)

[quote name='artisan' post='1023608' date='Nov 14 2010, 05:12 PM']ok so mine isn't as posh as the beautys posted on here but its the best i can afford & indeed the very best bass i've ever owned.
bought just yesterday from Phil at Bass Gear & yes he has some very tasty gear in stock.
Sonus "import" standard,me like a lot.[/quote]

Yes, please do let us know what you think of it! I was/am a bit skeptical of these, as the magic of Zon for me is those graphite necks and the Bartolini pickups, so it'll be interesting to see what they're like!

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='1024182' date='Nov 15 2010, 02:38 AM']<sigh> Mid Nov and still no sign of my Hyperbass. <deeper sigh>

this bass was ordered on 10/9/2009 ...and was estimated to ship by 30/5/2010

<deepest sigh yet>.[/quote]

that's a bugger,i feel your pain but i'm shure the wait will be worth it.