Why become a member? ×

Band Image

jmstone

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='541741' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:30 PM']In fact, it is almost impossible [i]not[/i] to see a string quartet comprising 4 hotties in some form of 'rocking' attire.

I blame Nigel Kennedy.[/quote]

or Britain's Got Talent

I watched your youtube clips.

My 2p. You look good in the suits look for Guitar and Bass as per you Troubador vid. BUT Matching suits and shirts and Drummer should get trousers that match your suits and a short sleeved shirt to match. Might be easier if you all wear the same short sleeve shirts, no-one will tell as it'll be under your jacket anyway. Although plain white v-neck t-shirts might work better.

Forget ties.

Shoes as already mentioned. I'm not sure what the singer is wearing on her feet, or whether its a bag on front of the stage but I think whatever it is is a distraction.

We've had this discussion endlessly. In the end I persuaded everyone just to buy a smart striped shirt from Next as per their own taste and wear black trousers and shoes. It works at weddings, pubs and hotels.

We've worn evening dress on special occasions when asked.

We used to wear all the same colour shirt, but things started to get uneasy when people started 'losing' their shirts, and bringing a blue one that they thought was close. We had 5 different shades of blue all in different styles and the drummer insisted on wearing a short sleeve one. All or nothing, no halfway measures, otherwise it looks like you've not made the proper effort as the "Cream suits" shows.

We also have screen printed t-shirts with logo. We have them in red and also in black, some in long sleeves, some short sleeves. We wear them to arrive and set up in and occasionally for charity freebies as advertisement. I've also been involved in heated discussions where one member wants to wear them for paid function gigs. Hmmm - no don't get me started.

[quote name='TimR' post='541806' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:28 PM']We've had this discussion endlessly. In the end I persuaded everyone just to buy a smart striped shirt from Next as per their own taste and wear black trousers and shoes. It works at weddings, pubs and hotels.

We've worn evening dress on special occasions when asked.

We used to wear all the same colour shirt, but things started to get uneasy when people started 'losing' their shirts, and bringing a blue one that they thought was close. We had 5 different shades of blue all in different styles and the drummer insisted on wearing a short sleeve one. All or nothing, no halfway measures, otherwise it looks like you've not made the proper effort as the "Cream suits" shows.

We also have screen printed t-shirts with logo. We have them in red and also in black, some in long sleeves, some short sleeves. We wear them to arrive and set up in and occasionally for charity freebies as advertisement. I've also been involved in heated discussions where one member wants to wear them for paid function gigs. Hmmm - no don't get me started.[/quote]

It's vastly different, and a lot easier, in a functions band though.

[quote name='OldGit' post='541808' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:34 PM']It's vastly different, and a lot easier, in a functions band though.[/quote]

The principle is the same as this thread demonstrates. I've played with two other bands this year and witnessed the exact same discussions. A pub band and a thrash metal band. The difference in a function band is that you need to look conventionally "smart", but even this leads to arguments as to what is smart. Are polo shirts smart formal wear and acceptable at a wedding?

The common factor is that you dress to give a cohesive feel to the band. You wouldn't have the drumer playing a waltz with the bass player playing straght 4 so why dress at odds.

The thing that everyone seems to get wrong is not meeting with the clothes long before a gig to agree the look. Too many gigs I've turned up having had long discussions on what to wear. Usually a the practice 2 days before the gig. Only to find on the night that one person's version is different to anothers.

Often two members have a strong conflicting ideas of what the look should be. Don't get involved, as long as one person has a strong idea (usually the leader) the look will work.

Be careful of being too general in instructions. Beige suits seems pretty straightforward, but as we've seen even that can be misinterpreted. I played in a band where the instruction was to wear a single bright colour shirt. I turned up in a red shirt, the other three coincidentally all turned up in blue. So even that needs a certain amount of co-ordination.

In the metal band, for one gig I was told to wear a black t-shirt with the name of a band on it. I just asked the drummer to get me a t-shirt that was similar to his. Another we were to wear Marvel comic t-shirts, again I deferred to the drummer. If you fit in with the rest you will feel comfortable, especially if you've all met beforehand and everyone has said how good you look, or told you what doesn't work.

In the video the drummer is too different. A skinny fit v-neck t-shirt would still show his muscles and blend with the suit and dress look. Just because he is half hidden behind the kit doesn't mean faded jeans work.

[quote name='TimR' post='542050' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:59 AM']The thing that everyone seems to get wrong is not meeting with the clothes long before a gig to agree the look. Too many gigs I've turned up having had long discussions on what to wear. Usually a the practice 2 days before the gig. Only to find on the night that one person's version is different to anothers.[/quote]

I had this one in a band I used to play in with so-called "smart jeans". This is a difficult concept. To me (over 40) it means something neat out of a House of Fraser store. To the younger guys it meant something with eight inches of dirty ripped cloth trailing on the floor. A lesson learned!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='TimR' post='542050' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:59 AM']The principle is the same as this thread demonstrates. I've played with two other bands this year and witnessed the exact same discussions. A pub band and a thrash metal band. The difference in a function band is that you need to look conventionally "smart", but even this leads to arguments as to what is smart. Are polo shirts smart formal wear and acceptable at a wedding?[/quote]

Ah sorry I really meant that the concept is easier to agree on rather than the details.

[quote name='OldGit' post='542088' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:29 AM']Ah sorry I really meant that the concept is easier to agree on rather than the details.[/quote]

I still find it strange that anyone would think of performing without at least discussing what they are going to be wearing.

This is what happens if you get your image wrong. Possibly....

[url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php"]http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php[/url]

[quote name='TimR' post='542752' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:21 PM']This is what happens if you get your image wrong. Possibly....
[url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php"]http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php[/url][/quote]

Genius. I must be in there somewhere...

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']The singer in the band I'm in is really keen on band image, getting us all along for photoshoots, and having some kind of consistent "look" from the band. In fact, after our last gig I got some stick for wearing jeans (which apparently she really hates).

I have always really hated looking smart, and I seem to have got stuck in an indie/grunge time-warp so maybe she has a point, but I do find it all intensely irritating.. I would rather just play music and forget about all this photography/video/costume kind of crap.

So, what do people here think? Is band image that important (you have to bear in mind that although we are gigging, none of us is particularly fantastic musically in my opinion).. Do I need to bite the bullet and go out and get that red shirt and jacket (or whatever ridiculous get-up is planned), or is it OK to just look scruffy? - at least until we get that record deal ( i.e. never !!! :))

James[/quote]

I don't like "Image" per se as it takes from the music...But in my band me and my guitarist have created "Alter Ego's"...
LOL I'm fully kitted out in various Army wear with both counter terroristm and terrorist look...whichever takes my fancy...I wear combats tucked into my boots anyways so it's an expansion but I LOVE having a face rag or S10 Gas Mask. :rolleyes:
Combat helmet a must.

He jus wears a uniform of sorts and paints his face...It's for nothing but fun and changes...Maybe one time I'll wear war paint, the next a gas mask, the next a rag...etc etc...

But having to have a set way of dressing...Yetch I HATE the suited look...all 60's and just looks so square and tight arsed (no offense)...I feel sick watching them.
SO I can't say on that...but Alter Ego's are fun...hell you even get followers who put rags round their faces too just to see you. :lol:

[quote name='Kongo' post='542834' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:36 AM']I don't like "Image" per se as it takes from the music...[/quote]

Nah it doesn't. Think of any band ever that you ever liked a lot, think about what they wore and what they did. Were they all total individuals? Of course not.

I remember being a big Fishbone fan in the early '90s, they got a slot on Jools Holland in 1993-ish, and I was really messy on mushrooms that night but I made sure I saw it. They had two front-men (it was after Chris Dowd had left), a trumpet player Walter who was this huge guy, and a sax player Angelo who was a much smaller. They swapped outfits so the trumpet player's suit was tiny on him, and he played a piccolo trumpet one-handed, whereas the sax player's suit draped a few inches over his hands and feet, and he was playing a baritone sax that dragged on the floor. They had eachother's bowler hats on too. It was just hilarious to look at.

Image can be well useful.

[quote name='Kongo' post='542834' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:36 AM']I don't like "Image" per se as it takes from the music...[/quote]

I disagree. It certainly adds to the experience in my opinion, particularly live. Look at bands like The Cramps, The Ramones or more recently, Rob Zombie (White Zombie), Marilyn Manson, Slipknot etc... Adding a theatrical and visual aspect to the music you are playing, reinforces it all. Sure it can look dumb to people not into it, but for those who are, it's what they identify with.

i think its important that you take pride in your appearance- if you can go out and say 'i look the nuts' then thats all that matters. we all have different opinions on clothes

im at a disadvantage that im a singer with an ian brown haircut and massive eyebrow(s), and a certain manc frontman jumped on my look 15 years before me :)

however, our bassist turns up in football shirts to every gig which irritates me so much.

a lot of the kids bands that play all look the same, and i know of a few who have been signed, because they have the look, somecant play live.

as regards with the where to look, i was playing in ipswich, and some kid in the front was dancing really weirdly, like he was taking the piss. hard to explain really, but something wasnt right! i spent about two songs eyeballing him, and was getting really wound up, so much so at the end of the set i threw the mie down and stormed off.

he came up to us about ten minutes after, turns out he were, well a bit 'special'!!!!!

:rolleyes: :lol: :D ;)

I personally hate playing in the clothes i turned up in, at least in the same shirt. For me, changing kind of gets me into that professional zone before we start playing.

Most of the venues we play don't have any changing facilities, in the past when i worked in a band with a female vocalist if we asked nicely usually the landlord would allow her to get changed in the "pub accommodation", the lads really didn't mind changing in the toilets if push came to shove.

I do think though that a lot of venues overlook the fact that bands need somewhere to change and/or (no gender discrimination intended) put on their make up.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='542836' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:15 AM']Nah it doesn't. Think of any band ever that you ever liked a lot, think about what they wore and what they did. Were they all total individuals? Of course not.

I remember being a big Fishbone fan in the early '90s, they got a slot on Jools Holland in 1993-ish, and I was really messy on mushrooms that night but I made sure I saw it. They had two front-men (it was after Chris Dowd had left), a trumpet player Walter who was this huge guy, and a sax player Angelo who was a much smaller. They swapped outfits so the trumpet player's suit was tiny on him, and he played a piccolo trumpet one-handed, whereas the sax player's suit draped a few inches over his hands and feet, and he was playing a baritone sax that dragged on the floor. They had eachother's bowler hats on too. It was just hilarious to look at.

Image can be well useful.[/quote]I'm sure you were watching Acker Bilk, those mushrooms sure can be tricky little devils.

Uniforms can be so powereful, look at this.
[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16235193"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=16235193[/url]

and this
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgOe1Rl8YY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgOe1Rl8YY...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='544437' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:21 AM']I'm sure you were watching Acker Bilk, those mushrooms sure can be tricky little devils.

Uniforms can be so powereful, look at this.
[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16235193"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=16235193[/url]

and this
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgOe1Rl8YY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgOe1Rl8YY...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Ooh, and this! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7uuB0-JTF4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7uuB0-JTF4[/url]

Superb stylist, whoever they use ..

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']The singer in the band I'm in is really keen on band image, getting us all along for photoshoots, and having some kind of consistent "look" from the band. In fact, after our last gig I got some stick for wearing jeans (which apparently she really hates).
I have always really hated looking smart, and I seem to have got stuck in an indie/grunge time-warp so maybe she has a point, but I do find it all intensely irritating.. I would rather just play music and forget about all this photography/video/costume kind of crap.
So, what do people here think? Is band image that important (you have to bear in mind that although we are gigging, none of us is particularly fantastic musically in my opinion).. Do I need to bite the bullet and go out and get that red shirt and jacket (or whatever ridiculous get-up is planned), or is it OK to just look scruffy? - at least until we get that record deal ( i.e. never !!! :))
James[/quote]

you tried the scruffy bit
why not try the 'uniform angle' this could be merely a band name T shirt and some cool chinos..no white trainers!!
most bands i see...older set...are black shirts and trousers...sort of orchestral get up but casual

when you eventually all get your V8 range rovers make sure they are black as well... :rolleyes:

For me music definitely comes first whenever I go see a gig, whatever the band looks like I'll still enjoy so long as I like the music.

But if the band looks cool too it always enhances the whole show to me. I think it helps to keep peoples attention too, cos if theres nothing good to look at why bother looking at the stage? And if people aren't looking at the stage then they maybe start to drift and not really listen that much.

So I think either way having a good image is never going to make the music take a back seat in a performance, it can only add to it..

[quote name='Tee' post='543094' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:03 PM']I disagree. It certainly adds to the experience in my opinion, particularly live. Look at bands like The Cramps, The Ramones or more recently, Rob Zombie (White Zombie), Marilyn Manson, Slipknot etc... Adding a theatrical and visual aspect to the music you are playing, reinforces it all. Sure it can look dumb to people not into it, but for those who are, it's what they identify with.[/quote]
It depends on the scale of the performance. I agree that visuals can make a huge difference to a gig (one of the most enjoyable bands I've ever seen live is Kiss), but Slipknot or Marilyn Manson would look pretty stupid dressed in full stage gear playing to 100 people in the function room of a hotel for a wedding reception. :)

I've got to admit, if I ever go somewhere that has a live band playing & they come out on stage in matching outfits or suits* I head for the nearest exit. It makes me think "Grumbleweeds" or "Barron Knights" , and that makes me cringe.

*Jazz combos excepted. :rolleyes:

Edited by RhysP