Why become a member? ×

Feeler JV Precision from 1982

73Jazz

Before you go, just take a second to use the search box at the top of the "For Sale" board, search for "JV" and you'll get an idea of the sort of prices they sell for on BC. And possibly why the price you were asking seemed a bit shocking to most people.

It also probably wouldn't have occurred to Donhills that you wanted to keep the price of the bass a secret from the people you were presumably trying to sell it to. Did you specifically ask him not to mention it on the board?

Re-reading the whole thread, the majority of the responses have been attempts to be informative & helpful about the price you're asking. I'm not entirely sure why you feel offended.

J.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='539232' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:46 AM']Before you go, just take a second to use the search box at the top of the "For Sale" board,[/quote]

A valid point, and I'll add one of my own. It would also benefit all to read the rules & guidelines: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19[/url]

[quote]5. If you believe the price of the item is too cheap/expensive, then please PM the seller as to why. Do not ridicule or undermine the seller by posting how much you think it's worth or how much it can be gotten for elsewhere, the laws of supply and demand will determine if the item sells at that price.[/quote]

[quote]5. If you believe the price of the item is too cheap/expensive, then please PM the seller as to why. Do not ridicule or undermine the seller by posting how much you think it's worth or how much it can be gotten for elsewhere, the laws of supply and demand will determine if the item sells at that price.[/quote]

I don't understand why we can't ridicule folk on silly prices - you can on most other forums I visit ( within reason ). As the rules state, supply and demand will ultimately dictate the price - but why can't we have some fun in the meantime?! Plus, as this thread ably demonstrates, you can often tell quite a bit about a seller through his responses to queries on price, which ( to me at least ) is as important as the price itself.

Pluck

[quote name='Hamster' post='539242' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:05 PM']A valid point, and I'll add one of my own. It would also benefit all to read the rules & guidelines: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19[/url][/quote]

Is there something wrong with my post above that said:-

"the guy is looking for £900" ?

I don't think ridiculing the price is necessary, certainly nobody did here, the responses were all broadly constructive, but I don't see why discussing a price (you know - politely & rationally) is unacceptable. This is a perfect example of how a potential seller can have a huge misconception of the value of his instrument (based on fruitloop Ebay shops & economic climate) and how knowledgeable people here, most of whom realistically probably have little or no interest in buying the bass have attempted to clarify the situation. It's a shame his response was to be generally arrogant, dismissive & mock-aggrieved, and to send insulting PMs in unfamiliar languages.

If he can sell it for the money he wants in the EU, then that's great & I wish him the best of luck doing so.

J.

I've just had a read through this, and agree with Bassassin - on the whole, comments were helpful and intended to help the seller. We all know that £900 was to much basically. But, I do think a couple of emoticons on the first page didn't help matters. Maybe PMs would have been a more subtle way to let the seller know about more reasonable prices?

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='539251' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:20 PM']I don't understand why we can't ridicule folk on silly prices...
why can't we have some fun in the meantime?![/quote]
Simply because the words 'ridicule' and 'fun' do not go together unless you spent your school years stealing the smaller kids' dinner money.
Guideline 5 stands, if you have an issue with a daft price then either send the seller a polite PM or ignore the thread. You can tell quite a bit about a seller through his responses to PMs too.
Talkbass wouldn't stand for ridicule (yes, [url="http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/TalkBass_Classifieds_Rules_and_FAQ#Q:_What_if_someone.E2.80.99s_asking_price_is_too_high.3F"]they have a rule[/url]), so I don't see why this forum should.

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='539251' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:20 PM']I don't understand why we can't ridicule folk on silly prices
Pluck[/quote]

Err... maybe because it says so in the rules and guidlines that you accepted when you joined?

I can see this guy has a point. Firstly his English isn't brilliant (95% better than my German) and if he doesn't quote a price and tells you by pm it is perhaps a bit disrespectful to immediately advertise it to all? I accept that an apology has been made.

The guy was actually being a little contrite (and lowering his price) when some folk had a 'pop' at him.

This sort of occurrence isn't unusual on Basschat when it comes to international sellers and in fact new sellers in general. Maybe, just maybe it's all down to them - 'bloody foreigners'? Or maybe the truth lies much, much closer to home :)

[quote name='73Jazz' post='539186' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:56 AM']Guys..do me a favour and read carefully what i have written.
i sum it up..i said JV are sold around 900 GBP. I said i will not sell the bass under 880 Euros, which will be 760 GBP.
So dont be too excited to catch something which is not existing..i didn`t wrote in any of my posts that i want 900 GBP for the bass..right?:)
but it doesnt matter anymore..i will not sell the bass to people like you.
You definitely have no behaviour and even if a moderator tells you to not discuss any price public..you do not stop..this is not polite and shows your style..which i do not like

farewell guys[/quote]

See ya! Don't forget to close the door on your way out :rolleyes: :lol:

I am (sadly) old enough to remember when these basses first came on the market and even bought a Squier Jazz at the time (long since gone....Ooooo the benefit of foresight). As I recall, the basses were met with derision and laballed as a poor man's Fender. Now they're being marketed as the 'Holy grail' of Fender basses. How times change eh?

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='Rich' post='539268' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:40 PM']Simply because the words 'ridicule' and 'fun' do not go together unless you spent your school years stealing the smaller kids' dinner money.
Guideline 5 stands, if you have an issue with a daft price then either send the seller a polite PM or ignore the thread. You can tell quite a bit about a seller through his responses to PMs too.
Talkbass wouldn't stand for ridicule (yes, [url="http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/TalkBass_Classifieds_Rules_and_FAQ#Q:_What_if_someone.E2.80.99s_asking_price_is_too_high.3F"]they have a rule[/url]), so I don't see why this forum should.[/quote]

I've read the thread a couple of times and though an individuals definition of 'ridicule' may vary, I can't see anyone has ridiculed the seller! :)

With regard to prices and the fact that sometimes people (myself included) don't put a price on an item and invite 'offers' maybe we should follow the TB example and make it a rule that you state upfront exactly how much you want for something...?

With the value of the GBP against the Euro/Dollar at the moment, it's a pretty shocking experience trying to price anything that comes in from outside the UK at the moment. You'd be better off giving your £900 to John Shuker or his kind. You'd end up with something a great deal nicer than a JV series Precision :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='539290' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:58 PM']With regard to prices and the fact that sometimes people (myself included) don't put a price on an item and invite 'offers' maybe we should follow the TB example and make it a rule that you state upfront exactly how much you want for something...?[/quote]

There seems to be a lot of 'feelers' and 'offers invited' on the sale boards here rather than stating fixed prices. the OP also seems to just use the board to sell items and doesnt have any involvement other than that. If a sellers just out to get what he can then theres other ways of selling stuff at the best price the market commands. ebay anyone?

[quote name='Rich' post='539285' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:56 PM']Very constructive, well done. :)[/quote]

Thank you Dad :rolleyes:
I must remember to check with you before I post a funny reply to someone who has come on to a forum to be rude and obnoxious to its users that have only tried to help... :lol:

Edited by cetera

..i didn`t change my price because some users "pop" at me..
please read again carefully..i never said i wanted 900 gbp..if so..pls show me where.
the only moment i was talking about "my" price i said..i will not go below 880 euro which will mean 760 gbp..

but you are right..all of you..and i will close the door..i know how to behave;)

bye bye

[quote name='73Jazz' post='539302' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:13 PM']..i didn`t change my price because some users "pop" at me..
please read again carefully..i never said i wanted 900 gbp..if so..pls show me where.
the only moment i was talking about "my" price i said..i will not go below 880 euro which will mean 760 gbp..

but you are right..all of you..and i will close the door..i know how to behave;)

bye bye[/quote]

I think that this thread serves to educate that language can indeed be a barrier :) There's been fairly patronising replies to nuances in this guys posts that may well not be intentioned. Surely if someone's first language isn't English and his grammar and spelling are poor we should allow a little leeway before reacting to such perceived nuances?

And then he misinterprets my post! Ce la vie

It can be really tricky communicating with folks who don't have English as their first language - I had a nightmare with a Belgian seller on eBay when I commented that it was '[b]a shame[/b]' that he couldn't accept PayPal payments as he would have got the payment much faster than me having to go to the bank to do an international money transfer...
This was his reply:
[i]I don't like things going in this way , please read exactly what I wrote before , I said that I opened an account with ebay ( paypal ) two weeks ago , and I didn't received the code yet , I didn't said that I don't accept via paypal !!! I said that I don't have it yet , [b]so there is no meaning to talk about shame[/b] , for what that I said okay is , if there is a problem for completing the deal , then I relist the item once again , I din't said bad words , even I didn' asked you to pay fees to ebay for selling of this item 3 % that's mean 3 € + installing the item fees 3,90 € , totally is around 7 € , I didn't asked you to pay me that , just tried to give the easier way a chance ,
I'm not that bad guy Mr.[/i]
And then another two dozen similar emails whilst I tried to calm him down! This was all due to him not understanding the the subtleties of using the word 'shame' in English!
:)

'Tis true, the subtleties of the English language can be easily lost in translation sometimes. Unfortunately, it would appear that amusing comments about shutting doors seem to cross linguistic boundaries fairly easily.

Regardless of boundaries, this forum can sometimes feel like the following;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco"]Watch This[/url]

There are a lot of members that dont post that often. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Edited by LeoFender

[quote name='LeoFender' post='539453' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:37 PM']There are a lot of members that dont post that often. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :)[/quote]
Indeed there are. Some even fewer than 0.02 a day, I bet. :ph34r:

J

I really don't want to repeat myself, but...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='538822' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:22 PM']Hi folks

I'm duty-bound to ask that you refrain from openly criticising the asking price of items in the for-sale section, wether deserved or not.

Complaints, offers, etc. may be directed to the sellers via PM.

Thank you.[/quote]

Them's the rules. Please abide by them, lest the warning-dishing-out-monster be unleashed.

Thank you.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='539512' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:59 PM']I really don't want to repeat myself, but...

Them's the rules. Please abide by them, lest the warning-dishing-out-monster be unleashed.

Thank you.[/quote]

It is a stunning bass though looking at those pics. The early JV's Are great. I had a Jv salmon pink tort shell a while back, and it was stunning to play. One of the one's i wish id not sold!