Why become a member? ×

When you try out a bass in a shop..

deej

[quote name='OldGit' post='538861' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:53 PM']Ha ha
You just need Kiwi's MIDI Shuker :)

It's a great tune and falls under the fingers just right. Ipop in a few harmonics and a bend.
No one else will ever play it as a bass try out tune so it gives the staff something else to listen to :rolleyes:[/quote]
I spent a good few years (in those dark years without a bass) playing that sort of stuff, though usually more Irish than English, on acoustic guitar and bouzouki. Must give it a go on bass :lol:

Edited by bythesea

I'm happy to say that I've reached that stage where I don't really care what what the shop assistant thinks of my playing. I think once you get to a certain age you either 1) look like you have money or 2) look like you can put it on a credit card and worry about it later! Therefore I get treated a lot better in shops than I did in my teens and early 20s.

I used to hate the way shop assistants played slap for a couple of minutes and then hand it to you.

I tend to play unamplified to check each & every note to see what fret buzz there is and then just play a few of the songs I play with the band. My priority is finding a bass that is right for me, not wowing (or not!) some shop assistant who won't be working there next time.

[quote name='tjkennelly' post='538432' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:48 PM']I normally play parts of a few different songs to see how they suit each one. Normally I'll play Bombtrack by RATM, Schism by Tool and any Metallica. Mind you they're normally the first things that come into my head when I pick up a bass[/quote]

thats exactly what i do!

[quote name='bythesea' post='538870' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:00 PM']I spent a good few years (in those dark years without a bass) playing that sort of stuff, though usually more Irish than English, on acoustic guitar and bouzouki. Must give it a go on bass :)[/quote]

It's a Morris tune called "The Princess Royal"
We have it as a tune in our armory.
The Melodeon player and guitarist rip through with me on root 'n' 5ths then I join in up the dusty end for the climatic, er, climax.
It was one of the first diddly melodies I learned.. I try to learn a few as it keeps the fingers nimble and broadens the sound and repertoire a bit ..

Generally, I've become fairly sure of myself when trying out basses in shops. I don't have that scared to death feeling that I would make an arse of myself that I used to get. I probably still make an arse of myself but I just don't care anymore!

I always try it out acoustically first, to see if there any annoying rings etc,
Check tone, volume pots for any crackling sounds,
Check to see the neck isn't warped or anything is a bit 'off'
Tune the bass,

Then I just play basic pentatonic stuff checking for dead spots, intonation, and 'buzzing fret'
A few scales to see if the neck is something I can work with,
I try and ignore action height issues, as I could sort that myself, but it can get annoying when it is set really really high.
Then I just jam, fingerstyle, slap, some chord stuff, maybe some tapping.

During said jam, I ask myself 'could I live with this as my only bass?' If the answer is no, then its not for me, unless I had lots of money and could afford some 'trophy' basses, which I don't! :)

I don't think I ever play any songs, I'm not doing a bloody audition, the bass is!

[quote name='thodrik' post='539461' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:52 PM']Generally, I've become fairly sure of myself when trying out basses in shops. I don't have that scared to death feeling that I would make an arse of myself that I used to get. I probably still make an arse of myself but I just don't care anymore!

I always try it out acoustically first, to see if there any annoying rings etc,
Check tone, volume pots for any crackling sounds,
Check to see the neck isn't warped or anything is a bit 'off'
Tune the bass,

Then I just play basic pentatonic stuff checking for dead spots, intonation, and 'buzzing fret'
A few scales to see if the neck is something I can work with,
I try and ignore action height issues, as I could sort that myself, but it can get annoying when it is set really really high.
Then I just jam, fingerstyle, slap, some chord stuff, maybe some tapping.

During said jam, I ask myself 'could I live with this as my only bass?' If the answer is no, then its not for me, unless I had lots of money and could afford some 'trophy' basses, which I don't! :)

I don't think I ever play any songs, I'm not doing a bloody audition, the bass is![/quote]
Likewise , only I always start with Spinal Tap's : Tonight i'm gonna rock you (tonight). It's a good loosener and ice-breaker, anyone listening is only going to remember that bit and I just like it. It's also good in sound checks, I've never known a sound man who dosen't look up and smile.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='539063' date='Jul 13 2009, 03:30 AM']I used to hate the way shop assistants played slap for a couple of minutes and then hand it to you.[/quote]

+1
even worse if they dont then hand it to you and just try and take you through their stock with them playing everything. Happened to me over christmas as I was looking to buy an accoustic guitar!

I tend to look on here and do my research before going into a shop. it is sometimes shocking how little the folk know about their stock or music instruments in popular.
Favourite comments I've heard:

"Yes we do sell parts, but our tech deals with that, he's in tuesday to thurday until 4pm" er i work full time?
"No, you cant get rack mounted bass amps, they dont exist."
"I have never seen one of them in my life, no idea what it is" (Looking at the microtilt thingy on the back of a old squier strat. (in a shop full of fenders) )
"hello I'm looking for a cab, I saw X on your website, can I have a look?" "We have this" points to Y and walks off

or todays one. Actually in a cash converter but made me laugh.
me: hello im wondering how much the korg DT-10 is
him: oh its £55
me: why is it so expensive?
him: it's a very expensive pedal
me: its £60 for a new one down the road
him: oh where's that?
me: [music shop] and you get a warranty with it, second hand it's not worth that.
him: well i think it is worth it, you are still saving money.
me: bye

:)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='539063' date='Jul 13 2009, 03:30 AM']I used to hate the way shop assistants played slap for a couple of minutes and then hand it to you.[/quote]
Whenever that happened, I'd take the bass, play two notes, say "nah it's sh*t" and give it straight back. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='539063' date='Jul 13 2009, 03:30 AM']I'm happy to say that I've reached that stage where I don't really care what what the shop assistant thinks of my playing. I think once you get to a certain age you either 1) look like you have money or 2) look like you can put it on a credit card and worry about it later! Therefore I get treated a lot better in shops than I did in my teens and early 20s.

I used to hate the way shop assistants played slap for a couple of minutes and then hand it to you.

I tend to play unamplified to check each & every note to see what fret buzz there is and then just play a few of the songs I play with the band. My priority is finding a bass that is right for me, not wowing (or not!) some shop assistant who won't be working there next time.[/quote]

I'm more or less here, too!
I check out the intonation (although that's a quick fix if wrong), Tune it to itself (usually for want of tuner!) ,then play across every fret and every string looking for dead-spots, quiet strings and dodgy action or relief.
I then use a nice little chordal piece I knocked up on my Streamer LX VI ages ago...
The last shop asistant I subjected to that was actually quite impressed (!)
It was whilst trying out a Variax. Tried the "stingray" model, then grabbed a real one of the wall and demonstrated the difference in tone.
Did the same with the "Jazz" model. And bought the MIA Jazz, which was [i]that[/i] good!

[quote name='Rich' post='539520' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:07 PM']Whenever that happened, I'd take the bass, play two notes, say "nah it's sh*t" and give it straight back. :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: :D

It's also strange when the assistant starts setting up the eq on both the bass and the amp. How on earth do they think they know what tone you want anyway? Surely they should hand you the bass/amp set pretty much flat.

One assistant was having a quick slap before handing me the bass and was boosting all the mid and treble and cutting the bass. I said 'Shall I give you a clue or shall I just set the tone myself?' He says 'Clue? What clue?' and I say 'Old school, Motown'. There's a pause during which he stares at me. Then he hands me the bass and walks off. I'm sure he was thinking 'Why is this old person in a guitar shop without his children?'.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='539622' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:44 PM']One assistant was having a quick slap before handing me the bass and was boosting all the mid and treble and cutting the bass. I said 'Shall I give you a clue or shall I just set the tone myself?' He says 'Clue? What clue?' and I say 'Old school, Motown'. There's a pause during which he stares at me. Then he hands me the bass and walks off. I'm sure he was thinking 'Why is this old person in a guitar shop without his children?'.[/quote]
:rolleyes: Which shop was that? Or can I guess it was the same one where I get the same sort of looks :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='539626' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:49 PM']:rolleyes: Which shop was that? Or can I guess it was the same one where I get the same sort of looks :)[/quote]
I couldn't possibly say where because I have also had great service in there - especially when they've seen the colour of my money.

But I am sure you know.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='539844' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:48 PM']I couldn't possibly say where because I have also had great service in there - especially when they've seen the colour of my money.

But I am sure you know.[/quote]

True - and I have had good service there as well. Unfortunately not in the bass department which I know is not the case for all. I must have been unlucky :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='538860' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:53 PM']I have a muck around with various tunes and throw some "shapes". But what gets right up my ti*s is no matter what time you go into the guitar shop there is always a group of 13 year olds playing an Ibanez or similar pointy thing, murdering some trivium or metalica. They play for 2 mins (all they can play for) and then their mates talk about how awsome the playing/guitar was. And just when you think that it`s over, they give it to another one of their mates!!
Yes I am a grumpy old bas*ard!!

Jez :)[/quote]

ha ha... throwing shapes... you'd think they'd put mirrors in the shops so you can see how they "hang"...

anyroad... I just play some blues standards (Thrill is gone, Killing Floor, Born Under a Bad Sign, some standard blues box patterns...) some "walking" around... kick it up a notch with some Zepp and/or Cream.... followed by some Hendrix... some scales and then go hunting for dead spots if I haven't noticed anything yet...

I don't normally slap, but if someone else is in there and has done some truly awful slap, then I let rip just to show it can be done properly...

i spend a lot of time looking at the materials and craftsmanship...
fret edges
bolt on neck tighness
tune up accurately and check intonation etc...take a tuner and screwdriver

as for what to play..its really how the bass feels with just scales and rapid hand movements on the neck
comfort and lack of 'stickiness'

when you get home you can play your party pieces...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='540536' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:45 PM']I can fully understand everyone's attitude to music shop salespeople, but as someone who has worked in music stores for over 25 years, you can't imagine some of the sonic bashing our ears are subjected to on a daily basis.[/quote]

So Pete, apart from total silence :), what would you [b]like[/b] to hear when people try out a a bass?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='540536' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:45 PM']I can fully understand everyone's attitude to music shop salespeople, but as someone who has worked in music stores for over 25 years, you can't imagine some of the sonic bashing our ears are subjected to on a daily basis.[/quote]

How many times a day do you hear "Smoke on the water"?

oh and "Killing in the name" (but not tuned down to D)

We do get some 'interesting' versions of certain songs. Saying that, I've become rather desensitised over the years. The things that really annoy me are:

People that take up half an hour of your time and then say, 'Thanks, I'll go and have a look online and see what price I can get this at. Makes my blood BOIL!!!

People that come in and ask for your advice, then say, 'Right, I'll come back next week with my Uncle Jeff, who's a guitar player. He plays a bit of bass, though, so he'll know what we need.'

People that blame equipment when the real reason is lack of technique. 'This bass really buzzes.' OR 'There's not much volume in this amp.' when they sit there and tickle the strings.

And so on...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='540627' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:29 PM']We do get some 'interesting' versions of certain songs. Saying that, I've become rather desensitised over the years. The things that really annoy me are:

People that take up half an hour of your time and then say, 'Thanks, I'll go and have a look online and see what price I can get this at. Makes my blood BOIL!!!

People that come in and ask for your advice, then say, 'Right, I'll come back next week with my Uncle Jeff, who's a guitar player. He plays a bit of bass, though, so he'll know what we need.'

People that blame equipment when the real reason is lack of technique. 'This bass really buzzes.' OR 'There's not much volume in this amp.' when they sit there and tickle the strings.

And so on...[/quote]

I'm not that bad am I? :)

Been in one or two music shops where sales assistant grabs bass from you, plugs it in and does his guitar shop pyrotechnics before casually handing you the instrument.

Wonder how many of them stop to think about how many potential sales they lose this way by doing something calculated to either embarrass or annoy the potential customer?

With fifty odd years playing experience under my belt, the last thing I need is some slap happy moron showing off whilst wasting my time.

What do I play?
The usual ordinary pedestrian lines we all play on our actual gigs.
No slap no tap no poppin`.... I never actually met anyone who got hired for a gig specifically because they could do that stuff, anyway.
And of course you play it unplugged first of all. Tone starts with the wood and the build.