Why become a member? ×

Stevie Wonder BBC2 Tonight

steantval

[quote name='Hamster' post='532198' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:58 AM']Nathan Watts plays some fantastic bass line so nonchalantly :)[/quote]for sure i was watching that man Watts ..Was great...What a band Stevies got behind him...What bass is Nate playing..Ive had a few beers tonight, but i thought it was a Valentie? a bit like my spelling i could be wrong?

[quote name='steantval' post='532190' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:51 AM']Just finished watching the Stevie Wonder concert from the 02 in 2008 on BBC2.

What a joy to watch some seriously good musicians.

Cool dude of a bass player, excellent and really laid back.

Not to mention the three stunning female backing vocalists.[/quote]

Was very good indeed, and I noticed on the credits that Nate Watts was also musical director.
My preference was for the short one !

[quote name='Stingray5' post='532228' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:52 AM']Rats - missed it! Hopefully, iPlayer will have it.
If MJ was considered a genius -- and I am a fan -- then what does that make Stevie Wonder?[/quote]
you can watch it again on BBC iplayer S5

[quote name='Stingray5' post='532228' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:52 AM']Rats - missed it! Hopefully, iPlayer will have it.
[b]If MJ [u]was[/u] considered a genius [/b]-- and I am a fan -- then what does that make Stevie Wonder?[/quote]

Then i think it would read...
'Stevie Wonder [b]IS[/b][u][/u] a genius' :)

That was a great show.
NW does lay it down just a bit.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

For those who missed it:

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ljy1w/Stevie_Wonder_Live_at_Last/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lj...r_Live_at_Last/[/url]

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='lowdown' post='532330' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:12 AM']Then i think it would read...
'Stevie Wonder [b]IS[/b][u][/u] a genius' :rolleyes:

Garry[/quote]
Oh alright, then - I'll give you that! :)
Guess I was trying to make the point that, for me, Stevie Wonder is beyond just [i]mere[/i] genius... :lol:

Thanks also to Bubinga5 and ~tl re BBC iPlayer repeats.

Cheers,
Steve

[quote name='Stingray5' post='532483' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:39 PM']Guess I was trying to make the point that, for me, Stevie Wonder is beyond just [i]mere[/i] genius... :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Steve[/quote]

Yep, and i am with you all the way. :)

Garry

I think it's safe to say that Nathan Watts may in fact be one of the very few bassists that most other bassists will always enjoy listening to.

Definitely picking that DVD up.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Stingray5' post='532483' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:39 PM']Guess I was trying to make the point that, for me, Stevie Wonder is beyond just [i]mere[/i] genius... :)
Cheers,
Steve[/quote]

+2

Possibly the most influential black artist of the past 40 years or so IMO, along with James Brown perhaps..

It was a superb show and the great songs just kept coming and coming!

Agree with Josh re: Nathan Watts - he was a pleasure to listen to.. Funny that about him being the MD; I was watching Leonard Cohen on TV last week and Roscoe Beck was the bass playing MD as well...

Ok, I'm going to beg to differ on this show!

I tried to watch it this morning and just got bored with it. My attention lept drifting & found the fast forward button coming in to play a lot. I'm a huge Stevie fan & listen to him all the time. I also really like the live 1995 "Natural Wonder" album which has a lot of the songs arranged the same as the BBC show.

I thought the sound wasn't great on the broadcast & I simply didn't get the buzz of a great live concert. Nate Watts always looks like Mr Cool on bass but the only person I thought really stood out was the young drummer Stanley Randolph. Great 'gospely' kinda style in places. Felt to me like he added a certain something whilst a lot of the rest of the live arrangements haven't changed for 15 years+.

Maybe I was just in the wrong mood today though :)

[quote name='molan' post='532910' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:37 PM']Ok, I'm going to beg to differ on this show!

I tried to watch it this morning and just got bored with it. My attention lept drifting & found the fast forward button coming in to play a lot. I'm a huge Stevie fan & listen to him all the time. I also really like the live 1995 "Natural Wonder" album which has a lot of the songs arranged the same as the BBC show.

I thought the sound wasn't great on the broadcast & I simply didn't get the buzz of a great live concert. Nate Watts always looks like Mr Cool on bass but the only person I thought really stood out was the young drummer Stanley Randolph. Great 'gospely' kinda style in places. Felt to me like he added a certain something whilst a lot of the rest of the live arrangements haven't changed for 15 years+.

Maybe I was just in the wrong mood today though :)[/quote]

I loved the drumming and definitely agree it gave it more modern edge.

I just wish they would actually play all of Sir Duke as opposed to the first quarter and then segwaying into I Wish.

• 2 weeks later...

First: I find that mr. Wonder's music is tastelessly, appallingly, [i]happy.[/i]

Second: I'll second Molan's appreciation of the Natural Wonder CD - I only now found this thread and my distress at missing the net broadcast was considerably lessened when he said the arrs were mostly the same. It's a great CD, try to get your mitts on it.