Why become a member? ×

Song's that dont go down with punters

JBassist

Years ago, in 1989, we used to play "Crawling From The Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds and dedicated it to what ever disaster was in that week's the papers. It always went down well and the dedication, more tasteless the better, usually got a cheer! Until we dedicated it to ..... Hillsborough!! Nobody cheered and we got banned! So women and children dying in plane crashes was ok but a football disaster wasn't!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='526104' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:36 PM']Years ago, in 1989, we used to play "Crawling From The Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds and dedicated it to what ever disaster was in that week's the papers. It always went down well and the dedication, more tasteless the better, usually got a cheer! Until we dedicated it to ..... Hillsborough!! Nobody cheered and we got banned! So women and children dying in plane crashes was ok but a football disaster wasn't!![/quote]

Hell's Teeth, Chris, I've only just realised who you are!

Seen you play with Robin Bibi, and at the Ealing Blues Festival, and at a couple of jams. We've even spoken on occasion.

Next time I see you, I'll introduce myself properly. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='526104' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:36 PM']Years ago, in 1989, we used to play "Crawling From The Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds and dedicated it to what ever disaster was in that week's the papers. It always went down well and the dedication, more tasteless the better, usually got a cheer! Until we dedicated it to ..... Hillsborough!! Nobody cheered and we got banned! So women and children dying in plane crashes was ok but a football disaster wasn't!![/quote]

Ouch! Maybe your clientele was more prone to visitng football matches than flying by plane? lol... people are ficked.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='526152' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:34 PM']....Hell's Teeth, Chris, I've only just realised who you are! Seen you play with Robin Bibi, and at the Ealing Blues Festival, and at a couple of jams. We've even spoken on occasion. Next time I see you, I'll introduce myself properly....[/quote]
Come up and say hi. Oops! I'll have to watch what I say if anyone here knows me!!

[quote name='JBassist' post='526025' date='Jun 27 2009, 03:58 PM']Has your band ever played a song that offended people or you were asked not to play it again

not because you didnt play it right, i meeen just the song itself[/quote]

How long have you got? Some of the people who don't approve frequent this forum :)

Bad Manners, "Inner London Violence" cleared the floor at my first gig, and we didn't play it any worse than any of the other ska classics we murdered that night :) Had people up dancing for every other song. Strange, I guess the punters just didn't know it.

I've made a point never to do any football related songs. Not worth the hassle. You know, the usual suspects, "We Are The Champions", "You'll Never Walk Alone", "Take Me Home Country Roads".

I played a wedding last year where the DJ ended the night with "You'll Never Walk Alone" (as he does at every wedding, apparently). What he didn't realise was the entire wedding party (bride, groom, parents, siblings, etc.) were all Everton fans. That closed the night abruptly. They were [b]not[/b] happy campers.