Why become a member? ×

Warwick vs Fender

neilmiddlemass

Okay, so I've actually got 2 questions.

Firstly, I'm looking at buying a new bass at the moment and leaning towards one of 2 very different beasts.

I mainly play in function bands and use my bass to play all different styles, so I need something which is tonally versatile. However, I'm also looking for something which is a bit distincitive too. I like a punchy, throaty sound and so am leaning towards the Warwick Thumb 5 at the moment. I also really love the sound (and look) of the old Fender Jazz basses, and like the idea of the MM signature 5. I've heard that these are a bit of a one-trick pony and that without all the modulators, compressors and effects they're left a little wanting. Anyone played both these basses? Anyone got any other suggestions? Don't really want to go too much about the £2k mark and definitely not above £2.5k.

That brings me on to my 2nd question... I've got a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 at the moment - about 5 years old, been well played and has a few marks on it. Everything else is fine with it. How much is this worth now? I think I paid about £1,200 for it. It's flamed maple body, wenge fingerboard, gold hardware, BO neck.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Hey,

Im personally always going to go for Warwick. I hate Fenders, dont like the feel especially. They sound good but Ive always prefered Warwick.

A good friend has a Steamer Stage II CT and its a full blown tone monster!!! I feel they have far more versatility than fenders but try both, you have a huge budget so be as picky as you can.

A 5 string will get you extra versatility. But try both!!
Guitarguitar in Newcastle has a Warwick Jazzman 5 string for sale second hand for £699 in reasonable condition.
Hope this helps

Dan

Thumb basses rule. :) Loads of tone. The BO version has more mids and can do a great P impression. The NT is a little more polite sounding with more lows and clearer sustain.

I'd say that if you go for a Thumb, the BO would suit you better. Either way, be sure to try both as they are very different animals.

Edited by rjb

umm £2000 would get you a pretty good warwick and a pretty good Fender secondhand. you would then have both.....

basschat is good for that, my old Warwick SS1 and older JV squier P bass came in at £1.25k or so....

For versatility and a growly/throatiness, you probably can't go far wrong with a Corvette $$ but what's wrong with your FNA? That should be pretty versatile.

As for Fenders... £2k is going to get you a hell of a lot of Fender! However it doesn't have to be Fender I take it, look at the Sadowsky Metro range or Lakland... or Sandberg or... you get the idea that there is a hell of a lot out there for your budget. :rolleyes: As for versatility I'd be looking at something with 2 pups; JJ MJ PJ or any of the other combos, again a huge range.

With that budget you will be spoilt for choice. In fact I've just sold my Sadowsky and I am in the same enviable boat (though I'm not spending even half of my available budget). :)

I couldn't agree more with LukeFRC - I have a Warwick Streamer Stage II and the tone is immense. You should be able to pick one (or something similar) up on Basschat - or ebay, but beware! - and have enough left for a decent Fender Jazz (maybe a Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller)

Good luck - you're clearly in good position!

Thanks Dan, that's helpful. I haven't had much experience with Fender, but I know where I am with a Warwick and let's face it they're always beautiful instruments and don't have that machine-assembled feel.

Not heard of the the CT Streamer so just looked it up - not sure I could pull it off but it looks incredible!

Ideally I don't want to go near the budget, but at the same time I don't want to find myself wanting something more in another few years. The Thumb looks like a sensible choice for punch, growl and tonal variety.

Thanks for the info on the FNA too, once I've decided on the new bass it'll find its way either on here or on eBay...

All the best

Neil

[quote name='pietruszka' post='523865' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:57 PM']Hey,

Im personally always going to go for Warwick. I hate Fenders, dont like the feel especially. They sound good but Ive always prefered Warwick.

A good friend has a Steamer Stage II CT and its a full blown tone monster!!! I feel they have far more versatility than fenders but try both, you have a huge budget so be as picky as you can.

A 5 string will get you extra versatility. But try both!!
Guitarguitar in Newcastle has a Warwick Jazzman 5 string for sale second hand for £699 in reasonable condition.
Hope this helps

Dan[/quote]

[quote name='neilmiddlemass' post='523803' date='Jun 25 2009, 03:58 PM']Okay, so I've actually got 2 questions.

Firstly, I'm looking at buying a new bass at the moment and leaning towards one of 2 very different beasts.

I mainly play in function bands and use my bass to play all different styles, so I need something which is tonally versatile. However, I'm also looking for something which is a bit distincitive too. I like a punchy, throaty sound and so am leaning towards the Warwick Thumb 5 at the moment. I also really love the sound (and look) of the old Fender Jazz basses, and like the idea of the MM signature 5. I've heard that these are a bit of a one-trick pony and that without all the modulators, compressors and effects they're left a little wanting. Anyone played both these basses? Anyone got any other suggestions? Don't really want to go too much about the £2k mark and definitely not above £2.5k.

That brings me on to my 2nd question... I've got a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 at the moment - about 5 years old, been well played and has a few marks on it. Everything else is fine with it. How much is this worth now? I think I paid about £1,200 for it. It's flamed maple body, wenge fingerboard, gold hardware, BO neck.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks![/quote]

I would argue (and I think I'm about to be met with quite a bit of disagreement, but I don't mind) that the Warwicks sound like Warwicks, and are a bit of a one trick pony. Not to say they're bad basses, but I would say that they're not as versatile. The necks are hit or miss with some people as well. I like them for short periods of time, but I think the finish on them would start to get me a bit worked up after a while. Having said that I still want a Streamer Stage I sooner or later. They're total tone machines to my ears.

Fenders have got it all in spades IMO, and are my favoured style of bass, whether it be an actual Fender, or a Lakland or Sadowsky or whatever, and can do pretty much all things well.

At the end of the day though, they're two totally different styles of basses, so try 'em both and see what you prefer.

I used a Thumb 5 for 20 years, lovely beast, mine had the single piece bridge and EMG's.

It's a great and versatile bass, I played lots of different stuff with it, rock, pop, a little ska, some blues, as close to jazz as my meagre talent allows....

I sold it last year because I wasn't playing at all, and it was too good to leave on a stand.

I now have a Geddy Lee and a Squire VMJ fretless, the Geddy takes care of the rock and blues (and isn;t bad for poppy stuff).

I think I'd want a pre-amp in the Jazz if I was going to try to make it as versatile as the Thumb, an East J Retro would do the trick.

As it stands I think one of the super Jazzes is more than equal to the Thumb and it really depends which bass you are happiest with.

I'd kill for Warwickhunt's Sadowsky.

It sounds like you know what you want and with a budget that large I have to ask would you mind going custom? I know theres a wait but all the little tweaks you would need to make it special would be there at your fingertips everytime. Depends how patient you are aswell :)

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='523938' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:56 PM']I would argue (and I think I'm about to be met with quite a bit of disagreement, but I don't mind) that the Warwicks sound like Warwicks, and are a bit of a one trick pony.[/quote]

Yeah that's nonsense. Even the Thumb, which superficially [i]looks[/i] the most like a one-trick pony, is pretty versatile. It depends what you do with your picking hand - you can almost totally eliminate that "purr" characteristic you're supposed to get from a Thumb if you want to.

One bit of advice for the OP though: If you're doing long sets, maybe give the Thumb a miss. I don't notice it live but in rehearsals if we're playing for 2hrs or so without a break I sometimes notice my left wrist starting to tighten up (particularly if we're bashing through songs with a wide finger spread low down the neck, over and over again...), probably because of the short top horn. The Streamer naturally doesn't have the same issue.

I don't wear mine like a bib though, perhaps I'm supposed to.

With £2k-£2.5k to spend, why necessarily limit yourself to Jazz/Jazz clones/Super Jazzes or Warwicks alone?
Don't get me wrong. I have 2 Jazzes, an Infinity SN4 and a Streamer LX6, and they're all great instruments.
It's just that there's so much more out there as well.

Do I HAVE to choose? Okay.

Fender - either a MIA Deluxe P or a Roscoe Beck.

Warwick - Streamer Jazzman or a $$ of some sort.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='523998' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:46 PM']Correction; Sogg's Sadowsky now! :)[/quote]

Don't I know it, and don't think I didn't take a long hard look at the finances when you posted the damn thing, that's one beautiful bass.

I'm biased in that I'm a big Warwick fan, but you're comparing apples to oranges with Warwick and Fender.

I would have thought that a Warwick Corvette or Streamer in any combination or the right Fender Jazz would fit your requirement list. Fender are the traditional workhorse basses and a Jazz is versatile enough to be a must-have for session players. A Warwick will definitely stand out look-wise from a stock Fender and in my opinion have that punchy throaty sound (especially that Thumb bass).

As you've narrowed your choice already my best advice would be to try both side by side and make your own decision :)

BTW, what is it about the Jazzman which is making you sell it on? I've played my mate's Jazzman and it was a really good example of a Warwick and very versatile. If there's something specific about it you might find that Warwick aren't the basses for you after all.

I have both a warwick thumb 5 nt and a marcus miller 4 jazz fender ( though made in japan )

I love both but obviously both are different animals.

For gigs I play the Jazz- sounds great ( both are versatile basses - depending on how you play them )

Main reason is it looks better- more classic but more importantly is worth 20% of the warwick ( but is not a fifth of the bass ) - so travelling with it- playing in close proximity to sharp objects ( cymbals- other musicians ) doesnt worry me at all.

I really think the sound is more down to how you use the instrument than the instrument itself- with two pickups there is no excuse- just takes time to get it right. I think there is something to be said for sticking with one bass and really getting to know it- not that I`ve done that too much!!

Just find something you really like- dont worry too much about the cost- though obviously this will not limit you which is good.

Cheers

Bob

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='524135' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:33 PM']Yeah that's nonsense. Even the Thumb, which superficially [i]looks[/i] the most like a one-trick pony, is pretty versatile. It depends what you do with your picking hand - you can almost totally eliminate that "purr" characteristic you're supposed to get from a Thumb if you want to..[/quote]

Like I say, just my opinion, not nonsense. I didn't think the Warwick fans would agree with me. :)

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='525243' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:55 PM']Like I say, just my opinion, not nonsense. I didn't think the Warwick fans would agree with me. :)[/quote]

Sorry I wasn't meaning to have a pop at you at all. FTR I wouldn't call myself a Warwick "fan" particularly and I don't get funny about brands like most sad blokes do. I've owned two, one of them just happens to be the best bass I've ever played so I kept it.

I've had a few Jazzes and I like them but funnily enough I've never owned a Precision, and I think it's because they look like much worse value. I think it's the Yorkshireman in me - why buy a No Frills bass if it costs more? I'll probably never get it.

I've had a MM5 and an FNA Jazzman (the one in Guitar Guitar Newcastle was mine). The MM5 had a great neck and fingerboard radius and was really nice to play. However the pre amp was awful - rumble or clank seemed to be the only options. I struggled to get any mid range burp out of it. I ended up changing the circuit to an Auderre which improved things, but by then I'd gone off the bass altogether. You'd need to try one. (Leprechaun on here loved it when he tried it).

The FNA sounded great for fingerstyle (I've just heard a recording of a theatre show I did last year and I'm really chuffed with the sound). However for me it wasn't versatile enough. There wasn't enough difference between the pups when panned and its slap sound was a bit dead - even with new strings. That said, if I could have afforded it I would have kept it for the fingerstyle sound.

I've ended up with a Sandberg PM5, which gives me a good fingerstyle sound, good slap sound and I can switch to a P bass sound when I want. Up to now I'm really happy with it (although watch this space). I too play a lot of functions and I like the versatility of it. I think Sadowsky now have some P/J basses out and If I could afford one I'd probably have one of them.

I've got a Warwick Thumb NT and a real nice Cellinder jazz, and a cool '62 P Bass (not to mention my Spector and 'Ray). But recently I was down ay Bassdirect and played a Clover Avenger 5 and, well, walked out of the store with it in my hands (having paid of course). This is such a versatile, great looking/playing bass that before picking it up had never heard of them. I just think that it's worth going to a few good stores and trying out what they have rather than narrowing you 'vision' as you might come across a real gem, as I did.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='525663' date='Jun 27 2009, 02:16 AM']Sorry I wasn't meaning to have a pop at you at all. FTR I wouldn't call myself a Warwick "fan" particularly and I don't get funny about brands like most sad blokes do.[/quote]
I love this sentence because in grammatical terms you've included yourself in the 'sad blokes' category.
Was that intentional?

I have had a Warwick thumb five, beautiful instrument, but I could never get the tone and more importantly presence I required. I've got a '78 Jazz maple board which I love, but sounds quite a lot like Marcus Miller. They are both beaten by a mile by my Alembic MK5, great to play, amazing range of readily available tones and combined with my Schoeder cab (or through a PA) it WILL be heard, felt and, by most IME, loved.
With your budget you're in the ballpark would have a dabble if I were you.
Having said all that I once played a flamed maple bodied Streamer and that was a gorgeous bass

Edited by jakesbass

if you like throaty and burpy, and the streamer shape, give a spector a try. I had my hands on a Spector US spalted maple (EMG humbuckers) and wow! 2.4k was just too much though!

It's a bit smaller than Streamer, almost 1/2 way between a streamer and a thumb. That or a Stage II, ultimate GAS.

WIth 2K, the world's your oyster, especially second hand.

speaking of Spectors...

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='jakesbass' post='525855' date='Jun 27 2009, 12:11 PM']I love this sentence because in grammatical terms you've included yourself in the 'sad blokes' category.
Was that intentional?[/quote]

No, and reading it back I don't see how you're reading it that way?

I am a 'sad bloke' in other ways and I couldn't tell you I'm not with a straight face, but I don't get all fanboy about brands, there are more interesting things to argue myself to death about. :)