Why become a member? ×

Just blew me away

rslaing

[url="http://www.drstrings.com/main.html"]What do you think of this chaps?[/url]

(Once you get to the site, you'll have to fast forward to Marcus Millers bit - sorry it doesn't appear straight away - it is worth listening too though :rolleyes: :lol:

Best version I have ever heard of "Boogie On Reggae Woman"

If you can't be arsed to try and work the above out, here is a live but IMO not-so-good version on Tube

Nice drumming too - (you can't beat a fat drummer) :)

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='bubinga5' post='523129' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:14 PM']The master at work, easily the best 'Musical' slapper playing today..

The man on drums is Poogie Bell. awsome too..You should check some of Poogie's albums out..[/quote]

I will, thanks for the tip.

Possibly my favourite bass player ever? I love Marcus, and at the top of his game he's the best for me.

I recently went through a bit of a downer on "lead" bass playing. I started finding it irritating, prefering to hear bass players playing a simple [i]groove[/i] instead of lead lines, which for me, should be left to the guitarist or keyboards etc.

That said, I still love the guys playing. When he's on it, he's on it, and he's fabulous.

[quote name='foal30' post='523276' date='Jun 25 2009, 08:16 AM']for a mellow Marcus

cop his Modulus Fretless Shenanigans on Legends DVD
Miller + Gadd is Mighty Good[/quote]

+1

Its funny that when people chat about the fretless players about...
Marcus never seems to get a mention...
He has done some great stuff, with superb intonation.

Oh yer.."Boogie On Reggae Woman"
Phat Drummers and Phat Bass lines - good combination. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

For me this is the best Miller vid by far..Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Poogie on drums...Amazing..

The solo at the start is such a lovely build up, then comes the Miller slapping..gets me every time...Sublime
Everette Harp on Sax is one of my favorite, such great feeling in his vibrato..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHf7DvVpeiU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHf7DvVpeiU[/url]

Check the solo at 2.30

Edited by bubinga5

Marcus has a fantastic slap tone. It's not at all weak or thin.

He [i]also [/i]has a fantastic fingerstyle tone which is something people often miss. When he sits back on a groove, it's a work of art (his version of Frankenstein is a great example of this). And he rarely overplays when doing fingerstyle, it's wonderful. He just plays what fits. He's a great musician, and a really humble guy by all accounts.

Nevertheless, I'm not a huge fan of his soloing as I find it a little weak at times, particularly his on-the-spot improv. I only mean this in comparison to other guys that I'm a bigger fan of. Also, the production on some of his stuff leaves a bit to be desired. They can sometimes sound quite flat, the mix on a few songs is just [i]bizarre[/i], and even on some tracks I feel like his drummer is letting the groove down.

Mark

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='524368' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:20 AM']I remember seeing him at the Manchester University Students Union years ago and stood about 20 feet away from him. When the band struck up the first track and Marcus' bass kicked in it just blew me away. One of those truly "lump in my throat" emotional times I've had with music.[/quote]

Same for me when I saw him first at the Barbican- the sound wasn't so good but I got tears in my eyer when he came on the stage and then when he left.

Much better seeing him at the Jazz Cafe- talk about an in-your-face sound!!