Why become a member? ×

Spector Basses

WHUFC BASS

I've been hearing a lot about Spector basses lately and wondered just how good / bad they are. I've never played one, but like the look of them, expecially the 5-string models. Anyone got one? What's the string spacing like, it looks quite close at the bridge which I like in a 5-string. What the low-end models and which ones would any of you recommend?

Cheers in advance.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='512635' date='Jun 13 2009, 09:57 AM']I've been hearing a lot about Spector basses lately and wondered just how good / bad they are. I've never played one, but like the look of them, expecially the 5-string models. Anyone got one? What's the string spacing like, it looks quite close at the bridge which I like in a 5-string. What the low-end models and which ones would any of you recommend?

Cheers in advance.[/quote]
I've only had non-USA Spectors. My Euro5LX-EX is so up there I don't know where to start. I modified it so I have a blend control instead of separate volumes for each PUP. I like the TonePump but I'm intrigued by the ACG pre-amp possibility. For me, this bass looks great eye candy, but doesn't feel special when picking it up at home, maybe because of the 35" scale? ...but when you plug in with a band it goes WHAM! Just cuts through like a knife in butter. It's at these moments that I realise I am privileged to have such a special bass. You asked about the low-end models. I had a Performer 5 as a spare until I sold it to another BC'er for £200. It had an awesome sound ...probably the nearest I've ever got to that JJ Burnel sound. I also had the EuroLX6-EX which was really throaty and if now available at the Bass Gallery. Hope that helps in some way. Pics of all...

I can vouch for the Spector Legend 5 (even though I've just sold mine). Great sound, great feel, dream to play. The tone really cuts through everything and the sound from the B string was lovely (I think in part due to the 35" scale).

Try one out.

I love my Spector Rebop 5-string! It cuts through really well, great variety of tones on offer, good low-B, I like the tone pump pre-amp aswell. I was impressed with the build quality and the neck feels great!

Every time I've seen anyone else using a spector, I've been impressed by the tone.

Mine's the only spector I've played and I haven't really played many other 5-strings, so I can't really comment on string spacing and their lower models, but it feels good to me, and when I've heard others with lower-end models, they've always sounded great!

Cetera is your man, give him a shout.

I've tried loads of Spectors, and a couple of mates have owned them. I can tell you, they've all been brilliant basses, every one of them, from the cheaper to the more expensive models.

Quite a big, in your face tone generally, bright highs and gut thumping lows. They can be a little clinical sounding sometimes and some people find them too much to handle in terms of finding a subtle tone, depending on what music you play. I think of Spectors as being a bit like the big dog next door that always barks and makes you jump when you walk past it.

Great basses indeed.

The 35'' scale length and fairly chunky neck on my Euro 5 make it quite a handful. I record a fair bit with mine and after switching to the spector from another bass the volume jump is sometimes just too much. I've learned to keep the tonepump flat and add a teeny bit treble or bass as needed. The sustain on the neck thru is fantastic and build quality wise,they're up there imo and feel like they'll last forever. Also very very pretty too.

a USA NS model is on another level still and I'm hoping to own one of those in my future

I used to have 2 Euro 5's but crazykiwi now has the other one. I'm still happy with the one I've left

I'm slightly spoilt by having a pair of USA built NS5XL's and I'm obviously quite a fan!

As a pretty die-hard 4 stringer for quite a long time I was amazed at the sheer playability of the Spector 5's. The 17mm spacing at the bridge works well for me (as opposed to the more common 19mm that a lot of 5's have now). The 35" scale is just fine as well, maybe take a little getting used to after a long time playing 34" I guess.

For me the playability all across the board is what sold me on Spectors and I've not yet played anything I like as much.

As other have said the tone is pretty unique & really cuts through in a live band mix. I play mine pretty flat across the board, maybe cutting a little top end when playing at home but not live.

I'm guessing you're North East London & I'm a good 40 miles west but if you're ever out this way you'd be welcome to try one of mine :)

Thanks for the advice chaps. I'm pretty much sold on getting one of these form what I've read about them. The only negatives I've seen from people is regarding the tone pump pre-amp which sounds like my kind of pre-amp. I pretty much have my eq up all the way on my Rockbass and it sounds absoloutley killer for recording.

[quote name='molan' date='Jun 14 2009, 01:15 AM' post='513087
I'm guessing you're North East London & I'm a good 40 miles west but if you're ever out this way you'd be welcome to try one of mine :)
[/quote]

Molan, you're right mate, North-East London. I'd love to try it out mate, but I know that if I did, I'd proably sell a kidney to get a NS5XL if I liked it. They sure look the dog's knackers. I'm already planning a bank job to get meself one of these ha ha...

My Q6 Pro was pretty good. Got it from SoundControl in Salford for £330. The EMG pickups & preamp were super clean and it had a really 'hifi' sound. Unfortunately I sold it due to the fact I couldn't get on with the high C, only lost £30 after having it 9 months though !

Here it is..

I love my Euro too. It's about as different as you can get from my other basses and as others have said it's got a thick neck and a longer scale length but it's still easy to play and sounds amazing.

Only thing I don't like that much about mine is the colour, plus they have painted necks which I'm not a huge fan of either.

[quote name='Machines' post='513146' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:22 AM'][/quote]

That was a great bass , I remember it well, at that little get together we had in Manchester a few years back, in the days when I still had my lovely BB3000S :) .

[quote name='molan' post='513953' date='Jun 15 2009, 11:59 AM']Look out for 'holoflash' - that's the official name of this finish from Spector :)[/quote]

Thanks a lot! I really feel the urge to satisfy my long time hunger for a truly embarassing bass!

Nothing I can add to the descriptions of quality, class, feel & tone that hasn't already been said. I'll let my signature do the talking :rolleyes:

At the budget end I'd recommend the Legend series or if you can add a little more money try and pick up a ReBop or ultimately a Euro. I don't believe there is a better quality, value for money bass out there.... :)

You can tell by my avatar that I like Spectors...

Someone said on the 1st page that the difference in volume output to any other bass is daunting that's true and it is a very negative point if you are the other bass. Spectors do cut through everything.

If you are looking for one I'd say hunt the used market and you can find a good deal, I would go with an Euro.

David