Why become a member? ×

Bassists are boring....

Just read the new BGM. Dave Swift, looking forward to reading that article....wasn't any good. The gaff in the scarf, dude in sunglasses, somebody else.
They all speak utter drivel. I might just be me but i thought i was reading interviews with accountants.
nothing against each player but back to listening to bass and not reading interviews for me.*

tin hat on.

*apart form Mike Watt the man is brilliant bass, spoken, written.

Edited by William James Easton

.....I can hear the creaking sound of a hastily built gallows..........

Nah! Only kidding. Never found any bass mag interesting enough to buy on a regular basis. Just cos some cat can lay down a serious groove dont mean they have anything interesting to say daddio.

Mike Watt should be up for the cool guy award on the other thread.

BB

[quote name='William James Easton' post='511597' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:50 PM']Just read the new BGM. Dave Swift, looking forward to reading that article....wasn't any good. The gaff in the scarf, dude in sunglasses, somebody else.
They all speak utter drivel. I might just be me but i thought i was reading interviews with accountants.
nothing against each player but back to listening to bass and not reading interviews for me.*

tin hat on.

*apart form Mike Watt the man is brilliant bass, spoken, written.[/quote]

Should we really be blaming the bassists?

What is the quality of the interviewing. Maybe, the journalists are not getting the best out of the musicians. After all, we bass players tend to be the shy ones.

Balcro.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='511639' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:50 PM']I would not get tired punching Jeff Berlin in the face!

BB[/quote]

That would be quite interesting:he's a bit of a boxer by all accounts. :)
Funny thing is,altho' I haven't heard him speak,I find him misunderstood and very intelligent and of course an awesome player.
Please don't hit me :rolleyes:

[quote name='RhysP' post='511646' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:07 PM']Same old bloody people featured over & over again.[/quote]
Agreed.

I find the random assortment of folk in BGM's Lowdown section to be much more interesting than three pagers with bassists I've either a) no interest in, 2) have nothing to say for themselves, or c) are w***ers (yes Berlin, I'm talking to you).

Edited by Eight

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='511640' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:54 PM']Funny thing is,altho' I haven't heard him speak,I find him misunderstood and very intelligent and of course an awesome player.[/quote]

I have. Trouble is, he'd rather talk than play, and he's so full of crap that when he dies we can give him an enema and bury him in a shoebox!

I like Berlin!
Regardless of whether I agree with what he has to say, he provokes discussion and has people thinking about what they're doing, either because they 'get' him or because they want to prove him wrong!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='511640' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:54 PM']That would be quite interesting:he's a bit of a boxer by all accounts. :)
Funny thing is,altho' I haven't heard him speak,I find him misunderstood and very intelligent and of course an awesome player.
Please don't hit me :rolleyes:[/quote]

When Jeff speaks...[b]HE SPEAKS LIKE THIS! HE IS REEEEEALLY LOUD AND TO THE POINT...[/b]
Not a fan by any account...Anyone can be a musician...not everyone can afford or should have to be taught academically to be one.
Then he'll talk about grooves and the low end being important...And then solo on the high notes for hours demonstrating this!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='511748' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:48 AM']Then he'll talk about grooves and the low end being important...And then solo on the high notes for hours demonstrating this![/quote]

...as do 63.7% of all bass players. :)

As regards being boring - well, most bass players are just like you and me - get up, do a job, go to bed - take away discussion of gear and technique and what are you left with?

Which is why Motley Crue's "The Dirt" sells. It's the x-rated stuff that's [i]interesting [/i]to many people.

Hence the mass disappointment with threads about 'the double thumbing technique'.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='511754' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:22 AM']...as do 63.7% of all bass players. :)[/quote]

Yeah Wooten's another biggie!
Talking about keeping it simple, lock in the groove...then he double thumps 32nd notes for an hour or so...
So as well as boring...Hypocrites too! :rolleyes:

+1 on the people part though...After all, they are (WE are) just normal folks when not playing music...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='511763' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:41 AM']Anthony Jackson - what a boring fat c*** he is. I'd rather LISTEN to paint dry that read an article by him.[/quote]

He comes across as someone who's not nearly as clever as he'd like people to believe.