Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Bigwan' post='786219' date='Mar 25 2010, 07:32 PM']How much (ballpark) are you talking about for an LG5 second hand? (braces for impact and subsequent sharp intake of breath!)[/quote]

Lots of variables and they can make a huge difference to the price (both new & used). Nitro finish and upgraded fingerboards are both expensive & very desirable options.

[quote name='molan' post='786333' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:06 PM']Lots of variables and they can make a huge difference to the price (both new & used). Nitro finish and upgraded fingerboards are both expensive & very desirable options.[/quote]
Rough idea of prices with and without all the trimmings?

I would say around 2.5 - 3.5 k used in the UK ? I've played a few AC's now and own two and they are exceptional basses IMO. The LG5 is very full sounding and is amazing for finger style - my LM5 (The only LM5 I've seen) is quite a bit brighter and just right for that 70's slap tone. As you may expect from Ash/Maple against Alder/Rosewood I suppose.

Big bucks but no more than lots of other high end basses and cheaper than some. With the AC's i've tried I can say that whatever they cost they are worth it for me.

Get on a Ryanair and come try mine!

Edited by Flanker

I'd agree on pricing - cheapest I've ever seen in the States is around $2,500 (for a KPB4 which doesn't have the electronics of the LG / LM / RA series).

That's £1,625 over here but as soon as you add shipping at about £100 and import duties then you're over £2K pretty quickly.

Bearing in mind this is bottom end pricing and without any frills you can hit £2.5K for an LG. Add Nitro & a Dalbergia Negra board (if you can find one) and that £3.5K price approaches very quickly indeed. . .

"Lots of variables and they can make a huge difference to the price (both new & used). Nitro finish and upgraded fingerboards are both expensive & very desirable options"

+1 - not much change out of £3.5k for something at the upper end (classic supreme, custom and signature). I'm trying to be objective but won't deny I have a couple of ACs - both fours. It's probably unrealistic to expect to get any AC at under £2k in the UK (especially so given the exchange rate). A more realistic figure is something like £2400-2800 for a 'standard' model, and £3k and up - possibly well up - for nitro and DN options. It's worth watching TB - prices can appear attractive but you'll have to factor-in shipping, VAT, import duty etc.

[quote name='lozbass' post='787183' date='Mar 26 2010, 05:49 PM']prices can appear attractive but you'll have to factor-in shipping, VAT, import duty etc.[/quote]

Or a cheap flight and a quick sprint through the 'nothing to declare' aisle!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='790427' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:31 AM']Or a cheap flight and a quick sprint through the 'nothing to declare' aisle![/quote]

Just make sure to whistle, nonchalantly as you go through. This is a clear indicator to HMRC agents that you have nothing to hide. I'd also suggest walking jauntily.

[quote name='Toasted' post='790499' date='Mar 30 2010, 12:42 PM']Just make sure to whistle, nonchalantly as you go through. This is a clear indicator to HMRC agents that you have nothing to hide. I'd also suggest walking jauntily.[/quote]

Plant drugs on the person in front, much easier way to get through

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='molan' post='715570' date='Jan 17 2010, 01:07 PM']I'll 'fess up that this is heading my way soon:

[/quote]

So this bass never quite made it over to me (long story) however, by a series of coincidences it looks like the nice guy who bought it instead is now going to sell me this one:

Previously owned by Willie Weeks & fresh back from a world tour with Eric Clapton :)

[quote name='molan' post='799936' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:19 PM']So this bass never quite made it over to me (long story) however, by a series of coincidences it looks like the nice guy who bought it instead is now going to sell me this one:

Previously owned by Willie Weeks & fresh back from a world tour with Eric Clapton :)[/quote]
Now that is some provenance! Nice colour too

[quote name='Clarky' post='799942' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:26 PM']Now that is some provenance! Nice colour too[/quote]

More pics here at the [url="http://ryanowens.net/"]current owner's[/url] site (in the for sale section)

I'm not sure how much Willie Weeks actually played it as I haven't ben able to find any pics of him with it - definitely confirmed as the initial owner of the bass by Jimmy C though :)

Anyone else noticed that the green one looks slightly more angular than the burgundy mist one?

At first I thought it was just the body & guard colours but I have a sneaking suspicion that one or other of the images is slightly out of proportion?

[quote name='molan' post='800865' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:06 PM']Anyone else noticed that the green one looks slightly more angular than the burgundy mist one?

At first I thought it was just the body & guard colours but I have a sneaking suspicion that one or other of the images is slightly out of proportion?[/quote]

The cutaway on the green one looks to start higher up the fretboard presumably to allow better access to the dusty end?

I am having trouble keeping up with you Barrie :)

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='800881' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:18 PM']The cutaway on the green one looks to start higher up the fretboard presumably to allow better access to the dusty end?

I am having trouble keeping up with you Barrie :rolleyes:

Steve[/quote]

I have trouble keeping up with myself!

Close to stopping now though :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='barks' post='803118' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:09 PM']Nice looking bass - love the green.
I did look at this one closely myself when I saw it up for sale.
Bet it will be a cracker.

Neil.[/quote]

So it's finally on its way!

Slight payment glitch as someone in the US owed me money & agreed to pay the seller direct for me & then promptly went on tour & forgot!

Should be here in a week or so :)

There's some really nice shots of it being played by the current owner here:

[url="http://www.lifechurch.tv/player-only/file/RSB_Set1-nowords_640x360_8"]http://www.lifechurch.tv/player-only/file/...words_640x360_8[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='molan' post='838401' date='May 15 2010, 08:26 PM']I must admit that I'm really excited about this one![/quote]

And it's arrived!

Been playing for the last hour or so & just don't want to put it down :)

It has that great Alleve Coppolo tone - just seems to be impossible to get a bad sound out of it - even in my hands, lol.

I'll try to write up a review soon but in the meantime here's some of the original pics the previous owner sent me:

[quote name='molan' post='852930' date='May 31 2010, 08:35 PM']And it's arrived!

Been playing for the last hour or so & just don't want to put it down :)

It has that great Alleve Coppolo tone - just seems to be impossible to get a bad sound out of it - even in my hands, lol.

I'll try to write up a review soon but in the meantime here's some of the original pics the previous owner sent me:[/quote]

looks awesome!

let me know when you decide to sell it :rolleyes: