Why become a member? ×

New Jon Shuker Signature P bass - Simon Rix

OldGit

That must be Shuker's first big name then ? By that I don't mean someone successful, but a big name in music at the moment rather than a few years ago :).

Looks pretty nice, although of course lacking in innovation !

[quote name='Machines' post='503564' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:52 AM']That must be Shuker's first big name then ?[/quote]
First big name who he hasn't turned down. :)

Hadrien Feraud was making some enquiries too a while back because he wasn't that happy with his signature Fodera.

[quote name='Rich' post='503688' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:24 PM']I like the blocks and the coloured h/stock. Shame it's not a Jazz... :rolleyes:[/quote]
There was a jazz version (in appearance at least) hanging on the wall for a while upstairs. It sounded pretty close to a 70's jazz when I plugged it in.

[quote name='Machines' post='503564' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:52 AM']That must be Shuker's first big name then ? By that I don't mean someone successful, but a big name in music at the moment rather than a few years ago :).[/quote]

I'm not telling JJ he's not a big name any more!

Some good stuff in the updated gallery - my singlecut has made it on there which is nice!!

That is lovely

I have always preffered the look of Sei and Overwater, but now i am starting to change my mind. Some of the new basses on the site are amazing and I am really starting to lovfe his jazz headstock. I really want a custom built jazz at the moment and was leaning towards Sei but i may have to rethink that a bit!

Just out of interest and because i am a big gossip, who else famous has he knocked back?

[quote name='NJE' post='503763' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:26 PM']Just out of interest and because i am a big gossip, who else famous has he knocked back?[/quote]
I understand from Jon that Bakithi Kumalo approached him a while back. I don't think I would use the term 'knocked back' but I believe there might have been some limits to how accommodating Jon could be. More than that I'm not going to say on a public forum.

What's signature about it? The colour?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='503696' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:31 PM']Hadrien Feraud was making some enquiries too a while back because he wasn't that happy with his signature Fodera.[/quote]

Isn't Hadrien more famous for being a Ken Smith man? To be honest, I don't know why anybody would want to trade a Ken Smith in for a Shuker.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='503835' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:36 PM']Have you owned either?[/quote]

No, but I think I am as equally qualified as all those who hold Fodera in such high esteem (without actually having seen one, let alone play one), to pass such a ridiculous comment.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='503844' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:44 PM']No, but I think I am as equally qualified as all those who hold Fodera in such high esteem (without actually having seen one, let alone play one), to pass such a ridiculous comment.[/quote]

Indeed :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='503862' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:04 PM']How much would that set you back?[/quote]

Well the JJB is about £1500 starting price so probably around there or a bit more for the work on the neck. Blocks must take ages ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='503875' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:15 PM']Well the JJB is about £1500 starting price so probably around there or a bit more for the work on the neck. Blocks must take ages ...[/quote]

That's not too shabby a deal for a hand built.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='503824' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:27 PM']Isn't Hadrien more famous for being a Ken Smith man?[/quote]

He's the man that made me leave bass day early a couple of years back....[i]yawn[/i].

Surely JJ Burnel is infinitely more influential than the bloke from the ruddy Kaiser Chiefs no? I aint knocking anyone mind, each to his own I s'pose. I can't knock signature stuff, I've had my fair share, and I still have my Tony Levin, which although is heavily modded, is still a superb bass, however it seems to me that there's an awful lot of "signature" instruments around with some names on them that aren't exactly top of the influence list. I mean, the [i]Kaiser Chiefs??[/i] I can understand Marcus Miller, Jaco, James Jamerson (where IS the Jamerson sig bass?), but some of these lesser known people like m'laddo from the KCs, I mean, what'll be next, the "Bloke from Hannah Montana's backing band" signature bass? I'll be rushing out to buy that.

All the "big name" rubbish to one side, that's a tasty looking bass.

[quote name='Rayman' post='503931' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:08 PM']He's the man that made me leave bass day early a couple of years back....[i]yawn[/i].

Surely JJ Burnel is infinitely more influential than the bloke from the ruddy Kaiser Chiefs no? I aint knocking anyone mind, each to his own I s'pose. I can't knock signature stuff, I've had my fair share, and I still have my Tony Levin, which although is heavily modded, is still a superb bass, however it seems to me that there's an awful lot of "signature" instruments around with some names on them that aren't exactly top of the influence list. I mean, the [i]Kaiser Chiefs??[/i] I can understand Marcus Miller, Jaco, James Jamerson (where IS the Jamerson sig bass?), but some of these lesser known people like m'laddo from the KCs, I mean, what'll be next, the "Bloke from Hannah Montana's backing band" signature bass? I'll be rushing out to buy that.

All the "big name" rubbish to one side, that's a tasty looking bass.[/quote]

A few months back there was a discussion of JJ Burnel on here and several people had no idea who he was ..... Seriously they didn't... Not all kids either.
For the current generation of bassists, JJB is as long gone as James Jamerson, John Entnwhistle, Norman Watt-Roy and Paul Chambers ...
All seriously influential on the people they look up to but way past it....

[quote name='OldGit' post='503946' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:24 PM']A few months back there was a discussion of JJ Burnel on here and several people had no idea who he was ..... Seriously they didn't... Not all kids either.
For the current generation of bassists, JJB is as long gone as James Jamerson, John Entnwhistle, Norman Watt-Roy and Paul Chambers ...
All seriously influential on the people they look up to but way past it....[/quote]

Yep, I guess you're right, who am I, in my mid 40's, to comment on who influences younger folk? The Kaiser Chiefs obviously? OK, so now I feel old.

I was only wondering the other day, how much longer I can get away with a low slung bass during gigs, with my fat belly now hanging over the top. I saw a couple of pics of myself live recently and wondered who that fat old tart was, and what had happened to the lean rock machine that used to occupy that old carcass?

Personally I dislike the Kaiser Chiefs and find their music annoying (no offense to anyone who likes them). What I don't understand is why such a mediocre band would need such a high end instrument. I'll probably get a bit of stick for what I just said but it's how I feel.

That aside, I think Shuker may have made a wrong move on this one. I may be wrong but it seems to me followers of the Kaiser Chiefs are generally young beginner players who wouldn't be able to afford a bass made by Shuker. They would probably go for something like [url="http://www.ooshop.es/images/0326800505.jpg"]this squier[/url] to get the look without spending a fortune. Don't get me wrong the bass is lovely but i'm not sure the endorsement is right for Shuker's customer base.