Why become a member? ×

Amp heads that go to 2 Ohms

Born 2B Mild

I do like my Shuttle, it's the best (and loudest) amp I've ever had, but there are times when I'd like to use three 8ohm cabs. If I replaced it for an amp head that could do 2ohms, what should it be?

The lighter the better. Your suggestions are sought.

[quote name='danlea' post='501635' date='May 30 2009, 02:16 PM']Or one with two 4 Ohm outputs?[/quote]

Ifs its dual power amps like a Little Giant, then one will be running at 8 and one at 4, with the three cabs, so would be unblalanced.

I haven't omce across anything comparable to the Shuttle that does 2ohms, has it got a preamp out so you can run a slave amp?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='501642' date='May 30 2009, 02:24 PM']Ifs its dual power amps like a Little Giant, then one will be running at 8 and one at 4, with the three cabs, so would be unblalanced.[/quote]

It wouldn't make any difference in the real world - the cab that's on the channel by itself might be 1-2 dB louder, which is about the smallest change you'd notice, even if you have good ears.

As an example, my Hartke would run a pair of cabs at 175 watts each, and the single at 240 watts - a difference of less than 1.5 dB.

A

[quote name='henry norton' post='501722' date='May 30 2009, 04:02 PM']Alot of old valve heads can drive 2 ohms, although it's about as far from your shuttle size and weight wise as is possible to get....[/quote]
i've not seen many that can do 2 ohms apart from ampeg, it takes some serious iron to go that low

any reason why you want to use 3 cabs? wouldn't it be wiser to use 1 or 2 bigger or more effiecent ones?

[quote name='umph' post='502024' date='May 31 2009, 02:20 AM']i've not seen many that can do 2 ohms apart from ampeg, it takes some serious iron to go that low[/quote]

I've used two 100w Marshall heads and an Ampeg and they've all gone down to 2 ohms, but having said that I haven't looked that closely at any other vintage amps - I just assumed they all did the same! On that note, I wonder how easy it would be to modify an output stage so it could drive a lower resistance?

[quote name='henry norton' post='502102' date='May 31 2009, 09:32 AM']I've used two 100w Marshall heads and an Ampeg and they've all gone down to 2 ohms, but having said that I haven't looked that closely at any other vintage amps - I just assumed they all did the same! On that note, I wonder how easy it would be to modify an output stage so it could drive a lower resistance?[/quote]

You'd need a whole new output transformer, and some remodelling as it would likely be bigger. Also, its lower 'impedance', rather than resistance, means it's alternating current and varies with frequency.

One of my vintage bass amps only has choice of 8 or 16.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='501642' date='May 30 2009, 02:24 PM']Ifs its dual power amps like a Little Giant, then one will be running at 8 and one at 4, with the three cabs, so would be unblalanced.[/quote]
[quote name='Alien' post='501743' date='May 30 2009, 04:21 PM']It wouldn't make any difference in the real world - the cab that's on the channel by itself might be 1-2 dB louder, which is about the smallest change you'd notice, even if you have good ears.[/quote]
Amps with two channels can have independent level controls as well. I am in fact referring to Trace Elliot heads like mine, but this is by no means light and I'm not suggesting it as an option.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='501736' date='May 30 2009, 04:13 PM']If you are considering a change why not get a seperate preamp and a digi power section that will do 2 ohms?[/quote]
Mmmm. I believe the Shuttle can work as a pre-amp. What sort of wonga is needed to add such a power amp? I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer!

Edited to say a big [i]thanks [/i]to all other suggestions, which I have found most useful, whilst I way up the options. I'm not sure how soon I might want to change things now, but I intend to go on researching it.

Edited by Born 2B Mild

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='502562' date='May 31 2009, 09:11 PM']Mmmm. I believe the Shuttle can work as a pre-amp. What sort of wonga is needed to add such a power amp? I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer![/quote]

I believe Ped and Dood have both researched and purchased 'relatively' cheap compact power-amps. However, I was offering the suggestion of selling the Shuttle and getting either a rack or pedal pre-amp; otherwise you'd be better off going for a powered wedge (or expensive option like the Berg IP) or combo running the signal from a line-out from the Shuttle.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='502562' date='May 31 2009, 09:11 PM']Mmmm. I believe the Shuttle can work as a pre-amp. What sort of wonga is needed to add such a power amp? I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer!

Edited to say a big [i]thanks [/i]to all other suggestions, which I have found most useful, whilst I way up the options. I'm not sure how soon I might want to change things now, but I intend to go on researching it.[/quote]

How about a Genz Neopak?