Why become a member? ×

Sacked..............

yorick

As of today i am no longer the bass player in my (ex)main band. Apparently, i've been made the scapegoat for the bands inability to "reach the next level". The rest of the band have been talking about it for ages without my knowledge!!!!! Basically according to the email, "we think you've been unhappy for a while.....". Was i asked? Was i feck. "We'll be playing FLASHIER songs....." Was i asked to work them out, or if i was able to play them? Errrr, no. The only bit that had a ring of truth was about my reluctance to wear better stage wear and wigs. Even this was never mentioned, as in "Nige, we'd like you to make a bit more effort in your onstage appearance".
FFS, it's a Van Halen/Dave Lee Roth tribute, where the emphasis is on the frontman. Not a full blown Kiss tribute!!(Sorry Gary....)
And they got the drummer (who's the nicest guy in the whole world) to phone me up to explain the band's point of view............. excuse the shouting.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Rant over.

[quote]The only bit that had a ring of truth was about my reluctance to wear better stage wear and wigs[/quote]

I'd ask yourself some fairly probing questions about being in a band who insist that Glam is still a palatable look to be honest.

S**t happens, move on, get in a new band!

By strange coincidence, that just happened to me last night. Apparently "we can't have [i]two[/i] leaders in the band - it will only end in trouble".

What part of "It's your band, you choose the material, arrangements, keys and musical direction. Image, gigging frequency - over to you. Want to borrow an amp; no worries. I'm here to support you as the bandleader" didn't they understand?

Ah well, onward and upward.... (Starts searching websites) - good luck, yaself!

Edited by skankdelvar

I'm more pissed off with the way it was done and the total lack of communication beforehand. If i was holding the band back for some reason, a face to face meeting with some valid points and a chance to defend myself would have been good.... meanwhile back in the real world..............

Last time I was sacked, it was for being too good - The band said they all felt musically incompetent against me - Sorry!

But in your case I'd say you're better off without them - I liked the comment about "going onto the next level" - Where's that, then? Bigger social clubs??

You're better off without them!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='500269' date='May 28 2009, 09:03 PM']Is this genuinely totally out of the blue, or have you been missing some subtle "pull your socks up" messages?[/quote]

As far as i can tell, totally out of the blue. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='500265' date='May 28 2009, 08:58 PM']But in your case I'd say you're better off without them - I liked the comment about "going onto the next level" - Where's that, then? Bigger social clubs??[/quote]

ROFL.

Wigs? Plus one for sentiments previously expressed, you're better off without them and you'll find it easier to get another band than they will a competent bassist.

[quote name='pete.young' post='500275' date='May 28 2009, 09:07 PM']ROFL.

Wigs? Plus one for sentiments previously expressed, you're better off without them and you'll find it easier to get another band than they will a competent bassist.[/quote]

Oh yes, wigs........................ and spandex :)

Let's face it - being in a band takes up loads of time when you add up all of the hours spent learning new material, practising, rehearsing, gigging etc. You're better off spending it with people you share a mutual respect with, not people who would rather take the gutless option of sacking you via email insteading of actually speaking to you. :)

As usual, few people on this site will have the guts to be completely honest with you, so here goes.

It's a Dave Lee Roth/Van Halen tribute band If you can't appreciate why wigs and spandex might be integral to the look, then maybe you are best out of it.

They sound pretty pathetic to me!

You're better off without people like that. I think most, if not all musicians have to deal with people like that at some point or another, but once they've 'sacked' you, you've got the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things and 'reach the next level,' which they'll probably struggle to do, ironically!

[quote name='bassbloke' post='500292' date='May 28 2009, 09:33 PM']As usual, few people on this site will have the guts to be completely honest with you, so here goes.

It's a Dave Lee Roth/Van Halen tribute band If you can't appreciate why wigs and spandex might be integral to the look, then maybe you are best out of it.[/quote]

Good point!

No excuse for the way they dealt with the situation though...I'd expect Dave Lee Roth/Van Halen to have that look, but I'd expect them to deal with a band member they had a problem with aswell, instead of wussing out with e-mails and a load of gossip behind their back.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='500292' date='May 28 2009, 09:33 PM']As usual, few people on this site will have the guts to be completely honest with you, so here goes.

It's a Dave Lee Roth/Van Halen tribute band If you can't appreciate why wigs and spandex might be integral to the look, then maybe you are best out of it.[/quote]
I can appreciate them. It's just from the start, the emphasis was on making good music and the spotlight being on "Dave", so not too much effort was required for the image, but also providing entertainment.

[quote name='yorick' post='500301' date='May 28 2009, 09:42 PM']I can appreciate them. It's just from the start, the emphasis was on making good music and the spotlight being on "Dave", so not too much effort was required for the image, but also providing entertainment.[/quote]

They changed their minds. It happens. No excuse for not being completely upfront with you about it though and sacking you by e-mail is so pathetic as to be laughable. Doing a Dave Lee Roth is particularly difficult, what with the high kicks, mid air splits and general gymnastics. Now that you've left, begs the questions - was he any good?

I had that once, it turned out that the new drummers best friend was a bass player who wanted to the gig so a campaign of crawling and bitching went off behind my back. They didn’t last much longer after was pushed the new bass player was unreliable and the rot started to set in.