Why become a member? ×

Build quality...?

Ajoten

Had Dirnt and Hoppus signatures on me shortlist of things to check out for an "upgrade" from the £150 Washburn I have (in which I've put a Nordstrand P pickup). Reviews seem mixed but for both there are grumbles re build quality, and also a hint that Fender's quality control is a bit dodgy.

Now my Washboard is v cheap, but BEAUTIFULLY put together (as is my Peavey 7er g**t*r of similar value).

I was intending to move up to something with a bit more "class" but I'm now concerned I'd actually be throwing £ away if I spent £500-£800 on something that in fact wasn't superior.

So:

a) are there just some companies whose quality is guaranteed?
ii) is Fender a bit hit/miss generally, or only non-USA models?

Edited by Ajoten

[quote name='YouMa' post='500225' date='May 28 2009, 08:26 PM']...2) Play it befor you buy it.[/quote]

Of course, and I would if I could find a shop within however-many-miles that stocked Dirnt, Hoppus, P5, 50s Classic, Reg Hamilton Jazz, Power Jazz, Precision Aerodyne, Epi Jack Casady, any Gibson at all, Rick Laredo, Yam Attitude (see where I'm going with this?)...

I can play a Squier. Indie or Vintage before I buy it, and that's about the extent of the choice. Ultimately I'm going to have to take an online punt and just send it back if it's rubbish, so I'm trying to reduce the shortlist by theory rather than practice.

[quote name='Ajoten' post='500260' date='May 28 2009, 08:54 PM']Of course, and I would if I could find a shop within however-many-miles that stocked Dirnt, Hoppus, P5, 50s Classic, Reg Hamilton Jazz, Power Jazz, Precision Aerodyne, Epi Jack Casady, any Gibson at all, Rick Laredo, Yam Attitude (see where I'm going with this?)...

I can play a Squier. Indie or Vintage before I buy it, and that's about the extent of the choice. Ultimately I'm going to have to take an online punt and just send it back if it's rubbish, so I'm trying to reduce the shortlist by theory rather than practice.[/quote]

If its possible, Take the train to London, maybe bass gallery or denmark street, and try a few fenders. PMT in southend, seem to carry a good stock of fenders at the moment. If you like fenders, and you get a good un, you will be a very happy chap!

When I was looking at the possibility of a Fender recently, I trawled around a few forums and the general concensus seemed to be that the 2009 Fenders are very good, and better than previous on quality control as well.

And if you order from Thomann and get a clunker they will just take it back.

I wanted a 5 string Jazz, but I couldn't find a single one to try anywhere in London!

A contentious issue. Many will not have a word said against the holy [i][b]F[/b][/i]. I think there are much better value instruments around from Aria, Ibanez, Peavey, Yamaha etc etc. 2nd hand for that budget you could get Stingrays, Sterlings etc also. Of course, if you gotta have a Fender then a Fender it is. Money spent on a decent musical instrument is still an infinitely better use than spending it on cars/drink/nose candy etc IMO.

For your money, you could get a Stingray or Lakland secondhand and the quality of these basses are very high. Yamaha also. Fender can be hit or miss although I have never had a poorly made Fender. The Dirnt Fender does have a very very fat neck so be aware of that.

[quote name='Linus27' post='500679' date='May 29 2009, 11:05 AM']For your money, you could get a Stingray or Lakland secondhand and the quality of these basses are very high. Yamaha also. Fender can be hit or miss although I have never had a poorly made Fender. The Dirnt Fender does have a very very fat neck so be aware of that.[/quote]

Fat neck one of the main attractions in fact. But want a passive instrument, so the Stingrays are out. This is why I lean somewhat to Fender, as so few other brands do "superior" passive basses.

[quote name='Ajoten' post='500801' date='May 29 2009, 12:34 PM']Fat neck one of the main attractions in fact. But want a passive instrument, so the Stingrays are out. This is why I lean somewhat to Fender, as so few other brands do "superior" passive basses.[/quote]

If you want a fat neck and a Fender then the Mike Dirnt is an ace bass. I played one some months back and it sounded superb. Get it in black and put a black scratchplate on it and it will look amazing. Passive also.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='500819' date='May 29 2009, 12:42 PM']£500-£800 you say?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50018"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50018[/url]

or

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47434"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47434[/url][/quote]

Not convinced of the passiveness of those chaps.

[quote name='Ajoten' post='500801' date='May 29 2009, 12:34 PM']Fat neck one of the main attractions in fact. But want a passive instrument, so the Stingrays are out. This is why I lean somewhat to Fender, as so few other brands do "superior" passive basses.[/quote]

+1!

Fat necks? Check! Passive...Check!
I got so many Actice basses that I play with everything flat...I can't find a use for it if my amp does EQ.
Maybe I need a lesson.

[quote name='Eight' post='500808' date='May 29 2009, 12:37 PM']Buy a Warwick. I just inadvertently smashed (and I do mean smashed) the chandelier with the headstock of the Vampyre. Not so much as a scratch in the paintwork.[/quote]

LOL!
I always knew they were the devil in a bass. :)

Edited by Kongo

I think the Moon has a switchable eq, whether that's on/off or just a different mid-sweep i dunno but i assumed it was on/off

A lot of Warwicks have a push/pull on the volume control to bypass the active circuit

EDIT: Incidentally the bass in my avatar has an active bypass switch and the sound is fantastic, it gets an airing every so often. I reckon i could live easily with it bypassed all the time. The one on my Warwick less so, but it still has it's uses

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='Ajoten' post='500220' date='May 28 2009, 08:24 PM']...

ii) is Fender a bit hit/miss generally, or only non-USA models?[/quote]

The Hoppus and Dirnt are both Mexican models aren't they?

From what I've read on these forums (I've never played one myself) the MIMs are pretty variable, so If they're what you're looking at you really need to play the one you're going to buy.

As for variable build quality, when it comes to Fenders it's not so much the name on the headstock as when and where it was built. Plenty of reports on the Mexican ones and the US ones have had their moments over the years (notably the late 70s/early 80s). Japanese models seem pretty consistent since they started though.

[quote name='Musky' post='500952' date='May 29 2009, 02:28 PM']The Hoppus and Dirnt are both Mexican models aren't they?

From what I've read on these forums (I've never played one myself) the MIMs are pretty variable, so If they're what you're looking at you really need to play the one you're going to buy.

As for variable build quality, when it comes to Fenders it's not so much the name on the headstock as when and where it was built. Plenty of reports on the Mexican ones and the US ones have had their moments over the years (notably the late 70s/early 80s). Japanese models seem pretty consistent since they started though.[/quote]

+1
I GAS over a USA Jazz Deluxe V but one I played had a raised fret and it put me off somewhat.

Dirnt or Hoppus?

definitely check the Schecter model-t: [url="http://www.schecterguitars.com/?gclid=CPStvOyP4poCFRpN5Qod33gVBg"]http://www.schecterguitars.com/?gclid=CPSt...CFRpN5Qod33gVBg[/url]

superb instruments beautifully crafted!

andy

[quote name='Linus27' post='500679' date='May 29 2009, 11:05 AM']For your money, you could get a Stingray or Lakland secondhand and the quality of these basses are very high. Yamaha also. Fender can be hit or miss although I have never had a poorly made Fender. The Dirnt Fender does have a very very fat neck so be aware of that.[/quote]
I agree with Linus,... MM, or Lakland,.... in the ones that ive played are very consistent, and always very well made. my stingray 5 is the best made bass i own...Like Linus said...Fenders are sometimes, very hit and miss..For me Cij or Mij Fenders are always good..Period.. Unless its USA Custom shop, because the one i got is supreme.

I have said this before..Japanese made instruments are so well made..they seem to have a great attitude towards quality, IMHO...Why do you think Roger Sadowsky went there for his of shore production.

I'll sling in my 2 cents as well !!

I'd have a look at ACG's website [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk"]www.acguitars.co.uk[/url], click on News and read about the new Graft basses. A hand-made bass for less than a USA factory one, got to be worth looking at :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='501230' date='May 29 2009, 08:55 PM']I agree with Linus,... MM, or Lakland,.... in the ones that ive played are very consistent, and always very well made. my stingray 5 is the best made bass i own...Like Linus said...Fenders are sometimes, very hit and miss..For me Cij or Mij Fenders are always good..Period.. Unless its USA Custom shop, because the one i got is supreme.

I have said this before..Japanese made instruments are so well made..they seem to have a great attitude towards quality, IMHO...Why do you think Roger Sadowsky went there for his of shore production.[/quote]

Yeah great point, Japanese Fenders are excellent basses and usually top quality. If you must have Fender, try and source a Jap one. You'll save some money over a US one and the quality should be excellent.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='501292' date='May 29 2009, 10:30 PM']Yeah great point, Japanese Fenders are excellent basses and usually top quality. If you must have Fender, try and source a Jap one. You'll save some money over a US one and the quality should be excellent.[/quote]

LOL you can tell this forum is UK based...Try saying that over on an American one...They go ape!
Everything has to be American...:)

[quote name='Kongo' post='501360' date='May 30 2009, 12:57 AM']LOL you can tell this forum is UK based...Try saying that over on an American one...They go ape!
Everything has to be American...:)[/quote]
Im not so sure Kongo.. i know a very dear bass player girlfriend of mine in the US ,and she has confessed to me that MIJ are more consistent than USA instruments...Shes been playing for years in Go Go bands and and her favorite is a 62 RI MJ... its a "True Solid Sunburst Jazz Andrew",.. she says..

You like what you like, no matter where you are

Fat neck?
Well made?

You did mention the Yamaha Attitude earlier, I noticed...
I've yet to play a duff one. QC seems pretty good.
Mine was even Japanese made (but it is a [i]bit[/i] different.
Worth a try if you get the opportunity, but a Jazz it most certainly is not!

[quote name='chris_b' post='501365' date='May 30 2009, 01:13 AM']Get a used Fender that plays well and change the things that are not up to scratch. Or save yourself the hassle and just get a Lakland.[/quote]

HAHAHA gets my vote :)

However, how about this for £500?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=48227&st=0&#entry501319"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry501319[/url]

Edited by Linus27