Why become a member? ×

Crap songs with great basslines

beardybass

[quote name='Digestive10' post='498256' date='May 26 2009, 07:54 PM']'Who do you think you are?' Spice Girls <ducks>[/quote]

Its amazing how many people don't rate pop songs in general. If you strip back everything to just the song, hooks, arrangements and specifically the melodies, there are some absolute belters out there. It's a shame that most of it is lost by negative artist association.

Spice Girls have some absolutely awesome songs. Agreed, they don't have a lot of talent between them, but you cannot fail to see the genius behind some of their songs. Same goes for Girls Aloud.

Other songs that stand out for me, are things like Superstar and of course, pretty much all the genius work of Guy Chambers... who in my opinion, pretty much carved Robbie Williams career for him.

Call it guilty pleasures, but I do appreciate a good pop song.

Abba reign supreme. Listen to some of the basslines in those songs. The melodies of the vocals and some of the counter melodies in the surrounding orchestration is just... well, perfection. For me, Rutger Gunnarsson is one of the best pop bass players of all time... yet one of the most forgotten.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='499764' date='May 28 2009, 12:29 PM']Abba reign supreme. Listen to some of the basslines in those songs. The melodies of the vocals and some of the counter melodies in the surrounding orchestration is just... well, perfection. For me, Rutger Gunnarsson is one of the best pop bass players of all time... yet one of the most forgotten.[/quote]

+1

I actually hated Abba with a vengance when they were at their peak as I was so much into rock music. But I can appreciate them now for what they are, truly superb. The arrangements are second to none.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='499764' date='May 28 2009, 12:29 PM']Its amazing how many people don't rate pop songs in general. If you strip back everything to just the song, hooks, arrangements and specifically the melodies, there are some absolute belters out there. It's a shame that most of it is lost by negative artist association.

Spice Girls have some absolutely awesome songs. Agreed, they don't have a lot of talent between them, but you cannot fail to see the genius behind some of their songs. Same goes for Girls Aloud.

Other songs that stand out for me, are things like Superstar and of course, pretty much all the genius work of Guy Chambers... who in my opinion, pretty much carved Robbie Williams career for him.

Call it guilty pleasures, but I do appreciate a good pop song.

Abba reign supreme. Listen to some of the basslines in those songs. The melodies of the vocals and some of the counter melodies in the surrounding orchestration is just... well, perfection. For me, Rutger Gunnarsson is one of the best pop bass players of all time... yet one of the most forgotten.[/quote]
I've got a lot of time for well crafted pop songs, as much as I hate the obvious crap pop songs. So I'm not ashamed to admit there's more than just male hormones in my liking of Girls Aloud. The same goes for Take That. Some of the early stuff was awful, but some of it was very good, as some of it is now. A friend of mine was giving guitar lessons to Jason Orange some years back, and he was round at Gary Barlow's house a few times. He said he was amazed at how quick he could write a song. Very talented songwriter indeed.

As for ABBA, my mum was a big fan and as a kid, I tended to treat her to an LP every birthday/Christmas/Mothers Day. I used to listen to it all so I've always had a liking for them. Very, very good "pop".

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='499764' date='May 28 2009, 12:29 PM']Abba reign supreme. Listen to some of the basslines in those songs. The melodies of the vocals and some of the counter melodies in the surrounding orchestration is just... well, perfection. For me, Rutger Gunnarsson is one of the best pop bass players of all time... yet one of the most forgotten.[/quote]

Huge +1 :)

Rutger (along with Dee Murray of the original Elton John band) is one of my all-time faves. He nailed the 'perfect bassline for the song' EVERY time!

[quote name='cetera' post='499900' date='May 28 2009, 02:33 PM']Huge +1 :)

Rutger (along with Dee Murray of the original Elton John band) is one of my all-time faves. He nailed the 'perfect bassline for the song' EVERY time![/quote]

Feck me - Dee! Now there's a player!

How about the early singles by the Real Thing- 'You to me are everything', and 'Cant get by without you' ?
Both well crafted pop songs (okay both v.similar) with great bass lines, yet predating a lot of the great US disco era stuff too.
Saw them live in the late 70's and they were ace.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='499764' date='May 28 2009, 12:29 PM']For me, Rutger Gunnarsson is one of the best pop bass players of all time... yet one of the most forgotten.[/quote]

+1 ABBA Gold is a masterclass in interesting, musical basslines by Rutger (and also a few - Mama Mia & Winner Takes It All? - by an English chap called Mike Watson; anyone know anything about him?). Great stuff.

[quote name='ergon' post='502266' date='May 31 2009, 01:50 PM']'You oughta know' by alanis morissette, I find the songs very irritating however the line is un-mistakably very catchy.[/quote]

Flea on a fretless stingray I believe on that track. Fantastic fun to play: a typically aggressive, muscular and funky bassline from Mr Balzary. There's an alternative version on the album, with some nice sliding octave work on the intro.

Another +1 for Abba. Cheesy pop for the most part, but brilliant cheesy pop. For my money, Dancing Queen is the perfect pop song.

Charlotte Church's 'Call My Name'. Great bass, with a nice fat farty synth part in the verses and that slap'n'pull in the bridge parts. The song is utter dross though.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='498382' date='May 26 2009, 11:26 PM']I thought David Paton (ex Pilot) played bass on Nikita...?[/quote]

:)
For some reason or another i always had Dee Murray down for that one [ and i am proberly wrong]
Anyone know who it actually was?

So far we have...
Pino,
David Paton and Dee Murray. :rolleyes:

Help

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='JJTee' post='502483' date='May 31 2009, 07:08 PM']Flea on a fretless stingray I believe on that track. Fantastic fun to play: a typically aggressive, muscular and funky bassline from Mr Balzary. There's an alternative version on the album, with some nice sliding octave work on the intro.[/quote]
Yup, good choice. I've played that song to death over the years, some cracking little runs and fills - and complete with the token one slapped note!
Dave Navarro played on it too.

Another song with a fun bassline yet a naff(ish) song is Just A Girl, by No Doubt - who in a rather nice segue, supported the Chilis when I first saw them in '96. ("Fascinating", i hear you all say!! :) :rolleyes: )

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='lowdown' post='502879' date='Jun 1 2009, 12:19 PM']:)
For some reason or another i always had Dee Murray down for that one [ and i am proberly wrong]
Anyone know who it actually was?

So far we have...
Pino,
David Paton and Dee Murray. :rolleyes:

Help

Garry[/quote]
Pretty sure it isn't Pino. Wrong sound for starters, he was still Stingraying all over the place back then.
Is it just me, or is there some slightly wobbly intonation in places (always sets my teeth on edge when I hear the song)..?

[quote name='ergon' post='502266' date='May 31 2009, 01:50 PM']'You oughta know' by alanis morissette, I find the songs very irritating however the line is un-mistakably very catchy.[/quote]

Oooh Nice one. Not really listened to the bass before ...
and there's that frisson of excitement just when there's a slight possibility that the DJ is playing the version without the radio edit :)

[quote name='Rich' post='503498' date='Jun 2 2009, 07:45 AM']Pretty sure it isn't Pino. Wrong sound for starters, he was still Stingraying all over the place back then.
Is it just me, or is there some [b]slightly wobbly intonation in places [/b](always sets my teeth on edge when I hear the song)..?[/quote]

Sure is..
I transcribed the part last night :rolleyes:
Why? you may ask.
It was that or Coronation street and Eastenders. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='JJTee' post='502568' date='May 31 2009, 09:15 PM']A nice root/5th thing in the intro. And the bloke has great hair too. Otherwise, pretty awful.

[/quote]

Brings back memories...
I did a tour playing Bass with that lot...
Then went back for more a couple of years ago in Berlin to do the show
'Daddy Cool'

Its about time i got myself a life me thinks. :)

Garry