Why become a member? ×

Uncoloured Bass Rig for Modeller ?

Stealth

Posted (edited)

Hi

I have moved into this century and bought a Headrush Core which I’m getting to grips with and loving more and more. I need a loud neutral bass rig for pub and club gigs where there is usually no PA support. I’ve been using a Mesa D800 with two Barefaced Two10s which gives a pretty character full sound. I went a bit mad and bought a Barefaced Big Twin 2 for a more neutral sound. It’s not right with the Mesa. Any ideas for a different amp head for the Big Twin? Or should I sell up and start again with another option altogether for the Headrush ??

im playing blues / hard rock and some pop function stuff predominately using a Sadowsky J type bass.

I thought maybe a Hartke LD500?

Edited by Stealth

No such thing as overkill 🤓

Other amps to consider would be the Glockenklang Blue Rock or Blue Bird - both of which are in the classifieds at the moment. As in fact is the GR 1400 thingamibob. Personally though, o think the Trace is the bomb, seems like it really suits being a platform for pedals/fx etc

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I bought a PJB BP-800 (to pair with a C4) for exactly this purpose, very clean neutral sound with line in/out and fx send/return.

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 1

Does it need to look like a conventional bass rig?

If not any good quality FRFR powered PA speaker will do. I have an RCF745 which has proved more than adequate for the two times I have needed to use it to supply bass guitar FoH for the audience, as well as on-stage for me. Also PA speakers generally have better dispersion characteristics than a conventional bass rig which means that you can be quieter on stage and still produce plenty of volume FoH. The last time I used my conventional bass rig without PA support I had to be so loud to get the right FoH mix that I could barely hear the rest of the band.

• Like 3

Of the dozen or so amps I've used over the past 20 years, I wouldn't say any of them were particularly "coloured". @Phil Starr's bass amp shootout at the last SW Bass Bash revealed some differences between the wide range of models tested, but I wouldn't call any of them significant. If I were looking for a neutral bass rig, I wouldn't be bothered too much about the amp, but would concentrate on finding a neutral speaker that works for you.

• Like 2

What Stevie said. You might try a pre/power amp combination, but modern bass amps are generally pretty neutral unless you use the eq. You might consider the fact that "uncoloured", whilst an appealing sounding idea, may not be to your liking in reality. I've heard my instrument reproduced through some pretty serious stuff in recording studios. It was clean, hi-fi and all the other clichés and needed tweaking in order not to sound sterile and to fit in the track. That would be likely to be the case in your blues/hard rock outfit.

The Mesa should already be pretty flat with all EQ at noon and the voicing set to "flat".  You can nevertheless completely bypass the preamp by plugging your Headrush into the Mesa's Aux Input.  See how that sounds before buying or selling anything.

• Like 3

You can get PA power amps for pennies these days as everyone has moved to active pa cabs. Might be worth finding a QSC PLX or similar on ebay? Assuming your Headrush has a proper line out.

But the real question here, before we can tell you what is 'right', is 'what's wrong about the Mesa?'. If you use the aux input it should be as clear as anything else out there.

Last nights pre rehearsal cab "shoot out" revealed much.

I amassed a veritable smorgasbord of gear:

Headrush Core

Mesa D800

Hartke 3500

Crown Xli 1500

Barefaced Super Twin

Barefaced Two 10s (pair)

Orange OBC 112 

Ashdown Routemaster 610

After nearly 3 hours of plugging unplugging twiddling listening and conferring with a long suffering mate conclusion were reached?

Ahem 

So I  in true logical fashion created the ultimate rig of the apocalypse. Headrush running a Ampeg SVT model with Darkglass Drive. split signal to Mesa and Crown (1400 w RMS) with all 3 Barefaced cabs connected  model. All reports of a small earthquake felt within 10 miles of Coventry, sounding like the bass Intro from Love Song by The Damned can be attributed to the monster rig.

On a more serious not my mate was invaluable as in true Chappers style he blindfolded me and swapped stuff about. Many surprises followed and I would recommend this method to all confused GAS addicts. Playing along to a bass removed band recordings there  was one sound that stood out for me. Mesa D800  Orange Cab. Just fitted in the best falling-out the sound and cutting through enough for definition. Adding The Headrush Comp and other effects. An honourable mention goes to the Headrush Ampeg model straight into our "vocal" RCF/Presonus PA!

So im a happy boy compounded by the fact I found a pair of said Orange cabs file sale today and they will be attached to my Mesa tomorrow.

So watch this space for an imminent upcoming SALE of

Barefaced Big Twin 2 Silver Cloth excellent condition stupid loud Roqsolid cover

&

Barefaced Two10 4 Ohm Roqsolid cover usual Rolex peel but not to bad

&

BarefacedTwo 10s series 3 Switchable 4 or * Ohm

Pre sale enquiries welcome

• Like 3