Why become a member? ×

Nice Jazz bass ...... options for £500 (new or used)?

I've owned MIM Fenders, Sires and a Harley Benton jazz. 90's MIM Fenders are not great IMO but the 2012 onwards are good quality instruments. Sires are excellent though, a whole other level IMO especially the V7 and all the options you can have. The Harley Bentons are not as "good" as either but for less than £175 new you are getting incredible value. I gig a Harley Benton fretless jazz because it's a great bass, regardless of it costing 1/10th of other basses I own. 

• Like 1

This has to be worth a look:

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/sire-marcus-miller-v9-brown-sunburst-2018-pre-owned/

Some dings but nothing serious to my eye, worst one by the jack socket, but even that only looks to be chipping to the finish, nothing a dab of the correct colour nail varnish wouldn't tidy up a bit.  Gig bag too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best budget jazz bass I've had my hands on was a Farida FJB20 (I believe Farida were Dawson's music own brand, sunburst, maple neck with block inlays). Going back a few years but I got to spend some quality time with one as the owner had abused it a bit and dropped/threw it down face first and knocked 2 of the tuners out of the headstock, stripping the screw holes. Wanted that fixed and pickups upgraded at the same time. If you could find one of those I'd heartily recommend it. It didn't need the pickups upgrading to my ears...

Beyond that it'd be Sire every day of the week for me on that budget. I haven't tried the v2 versions with the newer "worn in" neck shape, but I can only imagine how nice the neck feels having loved the 5 string V7 I had for a while.

I’d be looking at a MIM fender, for that budget you will get a nice one, I’ve had so many and maybe I’ve been lucky but they were all good, and they are easily upgraded if there’s anything you wanted to , the classic 70s jazz is very nice and they do come up occasionally , I sold mine for around £500 

• Thanks 1

Sandberg Electra TTs are nice basses, great neck.  Also, and if you can find one, the much underrated Squier Silver Series basses.  Made in Japan and very decent instruments indeed.

2 hours ago, ead said:

Sandberg Electra TTs are nice basses, great neck.  Also, and if you can find one, the much underrated Squier Silver Series basses.  Made in Japan and very decent instruments indeed.

Thanks Alain, 

You might recognize this (one of your "old" P's) - although I've swapped the pickguard and tweaked it a little!  It's very nice!

PXL_20240515_125028110.thumb.jpg.7b255e54bc254b362492ee33c4e2329a.jpg

Couple of questions if I may .....
Are the Silver Series Jazz's a skinny neck profile do you know? (62 spec??)
How do the Electra's sound vs a typical Fender Jazz? 

Cheers Ian

• Like 1

Yes indeed Ian, that's really why I suggested it since you know about how good these little gems are for not much money either.  I believe that the neck was common to both the P and the J Silver Series basses as a good compromise between the two.

I think all the Electra's are all active (not sure if they have the pull for passive vol. knob like the German Sandbergs).  I've owned an Electra VS bass (P bass) and that sounded 'crisper' for want of a better word than the Fender/Squier offerings.  There's a nice black TT f/s on here which I was eyeing up the other day, not too far away maybe to try out.  I know the seller, lovely guy.

• Thanks 1

Good advice ......... I like my Sandberg, but it has a specific "sound"  great to play and rock solid in terms of gigging - in terms of a Jazz I was thinking of a pretty skinny neck AND a classic Jazz sound (if that's really "a thing") - the Silver Series and my Sandberg are pretty much the same neck width and both nice to play but not "jazz skinny".    Having said that, the Electras are skinnier than the german Sandbergs I think .......  Ummmmm ........

From the Sandberg website for the TT bases (both VS and TT are the same neck it would seem):

4-STRING

FINGERBOARD RADIUS - 14 inch

WIDTH ZERO FRET - 37 mm

THICKNESS 1ST FRET - 20 mm

WIDTH 22TH FRET - 63 mm

BRIDGE STRING SPACING - 18.5  to 20 mm

SIZE FRETS - 2.5 mm

NECK PROFILE - c-shape

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Here is my Electra for sale in the classified. I wouldn`t pay nearly £800 new but for £425 posted, yum yum! :D

Well it's getting closer ........... maybe this or perhaps this .........
image.png.eca94c8b6a3e5c91a94a332d642565fe.png

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Well it's getting closer ........... maybe this or perhaps this .........
image.png.eca94c8b6a3e5c91a94a332d642565fe.png

This the one I got. It's so weird looking! I normally play doom and black metal hahaha. It's so out of my comfort zone since it's so colourful. I absolutely love it though. Very comfortable and sounds good. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

37 minutes ago, ead said:

It's just that headstock.  It really doesn't float my boat.  Apologies from a very shallow person.

Shallow, float, boat .... where's this all going .......  (boat anchor, rocks , changing like the tide ......) You're right about the Headstock though!!  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

Shallow, float, boat .... where's this all going .......  (boat anchor, rocks , changing like the tide ......) You're right about the Headstock though!!  

You don't notice it while you're playing so I don't find it to be a big deal. There are less attractive headstocks out there.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 09:22, Bassfinger said:

Sire Marcus Miller V5.  Nice Woods, as well finished as a Player series, lovely sound, great necks with rolled fretboard edges.

Exactly this you can't go wrong for the price,have a look on Thoman.

I'd definitely go used. Buy wisely and you should get much of your money back if you sell it on. On a £500 new instrument you will lose around £200 once its classed as used.

You asked about MIM Fender necks. The one on my Mex PJ (they are a P body with a J neck) is very similar to than the one on my US Jazz. And it's in better nick, being a lot younger