Why become a member? ×

New Bass Dilemma

Hi Folks,

Retirement isn't too many years away so its probably my last real opportunity to buy me a high(ish) end bass. ( Which I don't really need !)

I've been scanning the markets and fancy in no particular order,

Alusonic Django - Look absolutely amazing but on the youtube vids they sound a bit sterile

Warwick thumb BO - had one before so know I like them ( but paid £850 for a mint one) now they want £3800

Sandberg California TM4 Nighthawk Plus - its grey or matte copper - what more can you say !

Sandberg Ida Neilson - this would have definitely been the one but for the ageing which I'm not sure I can live with ( its like going to get a new car and asking them to scratch and dent it before driving it off the forecourt)

Spector Euro - sold one for £600 so again difficult to part with the cash they want now

and the shorties....

Fender Mike Kerr - love it but mixed reviews

Reverend MIke Watt - Watt Plower - it sparkles

Vincent pony - the Vincents look great but don't know much about them.

Also need to consider which will retain the most value when I need to sell it off just to eat :) ?

If anybody has played any of these or suggest others ( I'm not a Fender / Ric/ Stingray  guy)and want to weigh in an opinion to help me decide that would be great before I put miles on the car and go and try it.

You can't trust any reviews online ( apart from Dood's !)

I'm not tied to any particular genre and only play in the house so my pride and joy isn't going to get destroyed or stolen down the local .

Ed.

Edited by edstraker123

I think that's part of my problem as I'm not tied to a specific type. I like strange and quirky, basses that are like works of art , simple controls probably going forward. The tones I can get out of the filters on my ACG are amazing but sometimes simple volume and tone is enough.

Recently picked up an Alusonic Django Std 5, which was slightly unexpected but t actually ticks loads of boxes for me. I love the Sabre-ish vibe and the selector switch actually provides 5 useful and different tones. Eq boosted sounds more "hifi" but gets closer to traditional tones with treble backed off, for example. It plays really nicely and is very well put together. Sounds excellent in a band mix with keys.. As ever ymmv!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Vincent pony - the Vincents look great but don't know much about them.

Vincent’s take on a Mustang. If you’re thinking of that shape, you can’t go too far wrong with the Fender JMJ, which seem to be universally loved by owners (of which I am one). OK, the aged finish divides opinion, but it’s not overly done and there’s one for sale in the appropriate section of BC right now.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Well I decided on a shortscale but couldn't decide between a Mike Kerr and a Mike Watt so recklessly bought both. I'll post how I get on with them. Merchant City Music in Glasgow were brilliant- great service and a decent discount unlike Guitar Guitar who wanted £210 deposit to send me some photos of a Sandberg. It was refundable but completely ridiculous and lost them the sale.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Well I decided on a shortscale but couldn't decide between a Mike Kerr and a Mike Watt so recklessly bought both. I'll post how I get on with them. Merchant City Music in Glasgow were brilliant- great service and a decent discount unlike Guitar Guitar who wanted £210 deposit to send me some photos of a Sandberg. It was refundable but completely ridiculous and lost them the sale.

I've bought a couple of Reverends from Merchant City Music; they seem to be the only shop in the UK selling Reverend basses these days.

Let us know how you get on with the Wattplower.  They are a bit neck divey, Mike Watt holds his bass with the neck almost vertical, which, according to something I saw on the internet, was to compensate for the neck dive on the basses he started out with (?) But they look great, especially the yellow one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Spend a day each at Bass Direct and The Gallery and try anything and everything that takes your fancy. It's the only way to find out what YOU like.

Yes, try try try as many as you possibly can, the right one will choose itself for you i think. Good luck with your quest x

19 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Spend a day each at Bass Direct and The Gallery and try anything and everything that takes your fancy. It's the only way to find out what YOU like.

This.

And any other shop that has a decent selection of basses.