Why become a member? ×

Ali Express “custom shop” Dingwall knock off!

eddking

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

ALiExpress gear has been left wanting when it comes to actives. What's in this bass?

Well… that’s something of a misleading question as, of course Ali Express is a selling platform, they don’t make gear themselves.

You’re buying from an individual builder or company so it’ll depend entirely on which seller you’re buying from and I’m sure they all use different bits… some will be ok, some will not!

That being said, the electronics in this one seem to work pretty well! No humms or hisses and the EQ and controls all do what they should.. I popped the back off to have a look and it seems to be a “Mings” preamp.. never heard of them but works fine!

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7308.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

• Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 08:28, Skybone said:

This does not help my GAS for an 8 string... :D 

You know, there’s only one thing that helps… no wait, this is my second 8-string, so maybe not.

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Well considering the hefty prices for an 'official' Made in China Dingwall, this seems a great option hahaha!

You bet it is 🙂

Cheapest Combustion 4 string at Bass Direct is £1850, OP's bass was £280.

You could go daft and fit 4 Hipshot tuners/Mono saddles for £200. 3 Dingwall FD3N pickups, another £240. The Dingwall selector switch is £50 and its £160 for an EMG 3 band EQ.

Even after a PLEK session you'd have £700 more in your pocket than buying Dingwall.

Might have to re-think the logo, £1100 is hardly "Tesco Value" 😁 

• Haha 1

I know this is a bass forum and bass thread, but I've been tempted, in the past, to order a Firebird I, but I've never been confident in the comms I've had from the shops involved.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, eddking said:

Upped my investment 😂 set of DR Neon orange strings… I can see this getting out of hand….

IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_7316.jpeg

Because you are so worth it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Even after a PLEK session you'd have £700 more in your pocket than buying Dingwall.

Here, check out my Ferrari, I saved £100k !

image.png.8f0759d514f457b36a066a56c665331b.png

• Haha 3

@NikNik

Buy the Firebird blueprint from Guitars & Wood, €13. Send it to the Ali-Ex merchant with instructions to follow it to the letter. 

https://guitarsandwoods.com/guitar-and-bass-plans-firebird-2048190856.html

CNC files might also be available. 

Get as many Firebird photos as you can of things like the transition of neck to body. The more info and details you provide the better chance of success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

Here, check out my Ferrari, I saved £100k !

image.png.8f0759d514f457b36a066a56c665331b.png

Does it have the Ferrari engine? 

My suggestion used all of the same parts found on the Dingwall. If going for a custom build you could spec for same body materials and still save £700.

1 minute ago, kodiakblair said:

Does it have the Ferrari engine? 

My suggestion used all of the same parts found on the Dingwall. If going for a custom build you could spec for same body materials and still save £700.

My experience of Dingwalls is that the neck is the key part of the instrument. I've had a few budget/midrange multiscales (Gear4Music, Ibanez) and they try, but really can't quite get it right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

My experience of Dingwalls is that the neck is the key part of the instrument. I've had a few budget/midrange multiscales (Gear4Music, Ibanez) and they try, but really can't quite get it right.

There's no law set in stone for fanned frets.

Dingwall use the 7th fret as the neutral one, with Ibanez it's 10th; G4M opt for the 8th and on the OP's bass it's the 5th. 

Right or wrong doesn't come into it, there's only personal preference. Same holds true for the span of the scale length, the radius or how the back of the neck is shaped.

Ha.. the Chinese really are taking over the planet. When not playing bass Im a free time cellist of questionable ability. They are knocking out quality cellos for crazy money...Ive played 30K luthier instruments and 1.5k Chinese instruments and its hard to see the difference, so I'm not at all surprised that ur bass is as good as you say it it. Nice.

• Like 2